Uber and Lyft stop hiring

YukonDew

Appears to be a New York thing. No mention of other markets...
Post automatically merged:

Makes me wonder how saturated that market must be. Even a crappy day in the summer here is good for better than $17/hour.

Last edited:

Slyster

please get waiting lists going... so as drivers quit, new ones can join. MUST do that here.. it's just common sense.

YukonDew

please get waiting lists going... so as drivers quit, new ones can join. MUST do that here.. it's just common sense.

Would be OK with me. However, how do you define "quit"? Minimum hours required per month? What happens when a series of 10 hour a week drivers get replaced by 60 hour a week drivers? Gets kind of complicated when every driver can jump in and out of the app at will....

Slyster

Perhaps if you don't drive for 2 weeks and you are booted? I think anyone could do 2 drives per month.. if they can't oh well.. they must bigger things going on to worry about Ubering. They can always get back on the waiting list.

They say the average driver quits after 6 months. High enough attrition of make a waiting list move right along.

SurgeMasterMN

Check this link and how history repeats...

History of New York City Taxicabs ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicabs_of_New_York_City

Last edited:

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
I try to pull in at least $100-200 every week so Uber considers me "active". Some weeks I'm as high as $300+ (I'm PT, like 10-20 hrs/WK).

Well I'll let you know!
I haven't driven since April 7th. The times I have available to ride share have become so over saturated that I'm waiting 45 minutes between rides. Taking out a car seat and cleaning mountains of goldfish crackers isn't worth the $30 I'd make in the short window my kid's in school.
I scheduled myself to rideshare next week Thursday and Friday- let's see if I can log in!

molls

It's only in NYC because of minimum wage regulations. It has nothing to do with us here.

peteyvavs

Uber cannot tell a driver how many trips or time they must work to stay active, if they want to do this then they have to make you an employee.

YukonDew

Uber cannot tell a driver how many trips or time they must work to stay active, if they want to do this then they have to make you an employee.

I think they could deactivate anyone they want for lack of participation. How that would be defined might be point of debate. But I don’t think Uber has any obligation to maintain a relationship with a person that seldom drives.

However, there is no benefit to cutting otherwise good drivers free. A deep pool of drivers is good for them, even if many of those in the pool seldom drive. That allows them to have a high probability of available drivers during major events – which keeps overall fairs lower for customers. If I was them, I would be happy to have a ton of extra drivers that only drive when a major sporting event, festival, or concert is in town. Cost them almost nothing to allow folks that fit that profile to stay active on the platform and Uber benefits in a huge way by keeping service level up for customers.