1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber and Lyft Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Uber & Lyft Insurance, Feb 9, 2016.

1. fwdmarch

fwdmarch Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    As of yesterday, per my local agent, Allstate does not offer this Ride Share endorsements yet. Allstate is working with the NYS insurance board on getting approval. No indication of when it may be available was given.

2. Will.

Will. New Member

From Upstate NY in Utica area, I’m still waiting for an auto insurance company that would cover tnc/ridesharing. I have been eligible to drive for Uber since June 26th and still haven’t started driving because of this!

3. Yesterday I picked up an Uber/Lyft driver and his Girlfriend/Wife, HE started a discussion about Uber/Lyft during which I asked him if he had a Rideshare Endorsment on his insurance policy, he said He** no, I ain't paying for that crap.
    I mentioned he *may* get his insurance cancelled if there was an accident with a rider on board, and there may be worse consequences. Him and his Girlfriend/Wife then started an ugly argument with each other.

Result was I got a 1* rating for the trip haar

4. Uguy22

Uguy22 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Regarding Geico in Illinois they are offering a commercial insurance but not a rideshare Insurance as an aggregate to your private car insurance to cover the part 1 not covered by the rideshare company. At the end the commercial is about twice the amount of you actual insurance premium. It works well for taxi drivers or full time rideshare drivers however it is unsustainable for a part time one.

5. 2Cents

2Cents Well-Known Member

1/2 the risk?
    Where do you base this assumption from?
    You're essentially offering the same services of a taxi minus an unarranged street hail.
    Where are you basing this information from?
    Are you assuming because the ride share companies are charging 80% less than the taxis companies in order to drive them out of business that somehow , some what that equates to less risk on your part being involved in an accident?

#fübrn

6. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    It's less risk for the insurance company because the risk gets put on uber while your online with uber.

fwdmarch likes this.
  7. tomabq

tomabq Active Member

You raise a good point. I've been told your only covered by uber when you are on the way to pick someone up or you actually have a passenger. You make it sound like uber is responsible even when your moving around as long as your logged on to receive new request. Which is it?

8. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yes, to both.

Depends on the state and local laws.

In florida Uber is legally required to provide liability insurance ANYTIME you are LOGGED IN.

It varies from state to state.

9. tomabq

tomabq Active Member

Where do you find this information?

10. semi-retired

semi-retired Well-Known Member

Because of this thread. I got "gap" insurance on a new policy with USAA today because Progressive does not yet have ride share, TNC or gap insurance in Kansas. The cost was not bad for $56 a year ($4.67/month). Thank you for sharing this information. It made me do the research and get my backside covered.

11. Mears Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi

I would start with "google" and type in what your looking for.

According to New mexico law,
    https://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/16 Regular/final/HB0168.pdf

There's a whole lot of legal mumbo jumbo that I'm pretty sure i understand

Basically..

Uber is required to provide LIABILITY coverage anytime you are ONLINE in anyway shape or form.

Your insurer is NOT REQUIRED to provide coverage while you are ONLINE

YOU are legally required (As is uber if they are asked) to provide the exact times you were online for the 12 hour period before or after any accident.

So you NEED coverage that does the following, if you want your car to EVER GET FIXED/REPLACED IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT WHILE UBERING

1. Collision/comprehensive insurance
    2. Specifically allows you to ride share
    3. Provides collision/comp coverage during period 1.

Not having ANY of the above will result in your car getting totaled and not having any coverage to fix or replace your car.

It's 100% LEGAL to operate without these options on your insurance,

However if anything happens there won't be anyone writing you a check to fix your car. It will be like you are operating on a Liabilty only insurance policy, which while completely legal leaves you hanging in the wind.

12. rahulone347

rahulone347 New Member

13. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

I called an agent with allstate this week and...still nothing. Asked when, she said soon. I said gently I was told the same thing last summer and asked is she sure they'll ever have it. She said oh yes of course, but still, it's not here now.

fwdmarch likes this.
  14. Dammit Mazzacane

Dammit Mazzacane Well-Known Member

Uber & Lyft InsuranceUber & Lyft Insurance
    Should the insurance company table below add PEMCO for WA and OR state rideshare insurance? (Pemco is a relatively Northwest company)
    What's Mercury Insurance? We don't have that.

From the company: "Does PEMCO cover me when I drive for a rideshare company?
    Not automatically, but you can add a rideshare endorsement for specific vehicles on your PEMCO policy. It protects you three ways when you’re driving your car for a company like Uber or Lyft "

15. wagginwheels

wagginwheels New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    yeah . don't tell Geico
    initially honesty Isn't the best policy sometime. If your being far and not saying anything you don't need to..I would not.I had Geico, told them a worked very rarely with ride shares and they dropped me.. and if I cancel my driving accounts and sent proof they would think about reinstate me, no guarantee

any good local insurance agency near pensacola FL?

16. tomabq

tomabq Active Member

There seems to be some confusion on this topic. I do not have the answers however I just signed up with Geico through their commercial side of the company that covers ride share. I read here that USAA had policies for ride share that someone here posted, he said it only cost him $35 a month extra. When I inquired I was told that they don't cover ride share and that one can drive Uber and lyft however they only cover us up to the point that we except a ride at that point we are no longer covered.

The problem is that from what I've read Lyft covers us from the moment we except a ride however uber doesn't cover us until you actually pick up the passenger. Can anyone show me where I'm wrong here. Thanks

17. fwdmarch

fwdmarch Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Read the information directly from the UBER site . The largest impact s probably the lack of comprehensive/collision coverage during phase 1 followed by the high deductible for phases 2&3. The liability coverage is woefully lacking too. I carry at least 3X what uber covers on my personal policy. In NY no insurance carrier has gap insurance approved through the state insurance board yet. The only way to get full coveage is with a commercial policy which is very expensive especially if you are a part time driver.

18. tomabq

tomabq Active Member

I have commercial insurance with Geico, just purchased a new prius on Tuesday.
    Don't know if they are offering commercial in all states but they do in Albuquerque. I'm paying $2,002 a year for full coverage with$1,000 deductible.

19. JLKC

JLKC New Member

Wished I had seen this before 2 weeks ago. I just got majorly screwed both by my insurance, the insurance co the other driver has and Uber insurance. Finger pointing and denials right and left and I'm stuck with damages and no resolution. An other Uber driver rear ended my car. And because the app was on, but not online, no one will cover it. :-(

20. BigJohn

BigJohn Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    There are 3 types of people doing rideshare service:

a) Those that believe they are fine and do not need any additional insurance.
    b) Those that follow the rules, read their insurance policies and get the required insurance.
    c) Those that learn that they have too little too late.

Those in group A are the ones that ensure Uber rates paid to drivers will remain cheap. They are the ones that will complain about this passenger and that passenger and this Uber scam and that Uber scam. Yet they are the ones not following rules and regulations. They are also the ones that will hopefully find themselves in group C some day.

Those in group C I find it very hard to have any sympathy for, for all they have to do is read their insurance policy. They could also do some quick searching on a forum such as this for answers.