1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber and Lyft Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Uber & Lyft Insurance, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bedeeda

Bedeeda New Member

Was wondering if you found any reasonable insurance in Florida?

backspaceenter222 likes this.
  2. Curch

Curch New Member

As a person that wants to become a driver, I really wish I understood how the insurance worked. Here in Pennsylvania I was told I needed commercial insurance to drive for Uber. On progressive will take this in. It's $11,522 a year for maxed out coverage and $5,600 a year for minimum coverage. I would be driving a car from 2008. But at those prices, I won't be driving at all.

3. Felixthecat

Felixthecat New Member

Thanks for your post.

I am very curious about comp and coll. coverage. I've downloaded and printed UBER's policy for Puerto Rico (same as the states) but can not see the wording for comp and collision.

Can you please inform the community where in the James Rivers Insurance Certificates does it mention contingent comp. and collision coverages ? Or provide the link to where it's in writing other than the diagrams and drawings of the three periods.

Your reply will be appreciated.

Thanks

4. Jamie Coalsten

Jamie Coalsten New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Really well said TJ!

5. jlev8732

jlev8732 New Member

Whats the cheapest rideshare insurance?

6. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Wisconsin -- State Farm now offers supplemental insurance for ride share. However, there is a restriction that may not be problem for some, but was a deal breaker for me. State Farm will only cover your ride share driving if less than 50% of your car's mileage is driven due to ride share.

While I drive less than full time, more than half the miles I put on my car are while Ubering. I changed carriers to Erie a few months ago.

7. NOVA yuppie

NOVA yuppie Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Made the plunge and got Geico's rideshare insurance that covers all stages of driving for Uber, and personal use here in VA. Extra 50 bucks per month, MEH, worth it for peace of mind.

8. yojimboguy

yojimboguy Well-Known Member

Thanks for insisting that if it's true in Texas, it's true everywhere.

9. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I'm on USAA (Orlando) but it's USAA so you either already have USAA coverage or you can't get it ROFL

10. Redtop

Redtop Member

As of last spring, in Pennsylvania, I contacted three companies.

I had heard that Progressive was an option, but when I called for a quote they sounded extremely confused. My memory is fuzzy but I think I asked them for a regular quote on my car without rideshare, and they came back with a rate 5 times what I was paying with GEICO.

GEICO writes this as a separate commercial policy. They quotes me $1,050.

Erie writes it as a personal policy but rates the vehicle for business use, much like as if you were a traveling salesman. Their rate was $920.

One distinction here is that for GEICO, the rideshare policy is kind of off by itself. If you have other cars you won't get a multicar discount; if you have h homeowners insurance you won't get a multi-policy discount.

I took the Erie option, but didn't move my personal car to Erie. I get a really good price on my other car ($430 a year for a 2006 Nissan 350Z with high liability limits and low physical damage deductibles) and I didn't want to give that up. I also wanted to have a smooth transition back to GEICO if I stopped doing ridesharing at some point.

leosc likes this.
  11. RansomT

RansomT Member

FYI: I picked up USAA rideshare gap insurance a couple days ago. My additional cost for my 6 month policy was $36. (Kentucky)

12. InsuranceAgent

InsuranceAgent New Member

Not sure how much the pricing difference is from state to state.. But here in WA with Safeco insurance the Rideshare Endorsement was only an extra $280/year. Something to look into and possibly get a quote from a local Independent Agent in your area.

13. 49matrix

49matrix Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You mention Progressive as a carrier in North Carolina that has coverage for TNC activities. When I called them they quoted me a premium that would put me out of business instantly.

14. 49matrix

49matrix Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    In North Carolina Progressive offers a ride sharing endorsement but the premium cost would erase the pittance that we are paid!

15. 49matrix

49matrix Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If your Uber car is a 2006 and if Uber is still excluding vehicles over 10 years old, you may have a problem!

16. 49matrix

49matrix Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    h

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  17. 49matrix

49matrix Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    With regard to your insurance information for North Carolina, there is a new player in the field. National General Insurance of Winston-Salem NC now has a Hybrid TNC Policy especially for Uber and Lyft drivers. I now am covered by this policy and it covers the gaps for those drivers. I'm sure that National General sells this product through all of it's agents but I dealt with Tom Needham Insurance Agency in Greensboro NC. I was the first person to get a policy from them. Full comprehensive coverage $100/300k with a $500 deductible runs about $100/month depending on your vehicle and driving record. You mentioned that Progressive also offers a policy. They do but it is a standard Commercial Policy which will cost between $6000 and $7000 per year!

18. leosc

leosc Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Allstate
    Go for personal auto insurance

During application process
    Click yes for "ride for hire endorsement "

19. RussellP

RussellP Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    II had a regular old Geico personal policy, which Uber accepted and let me start driving. I then called Geico one day to renew my insurance and they asked if I drive for any TNC, I said yes. They then informed me that my personal auto policy was being terminated for violation of the terms which state not for business use. The ONLY way for me to keep my personal auto insurance was to get a letter from Uber on their official letterhead stating that I have been deactivated and can no longer drive for them.

I called progressive for a quote and I didnt even bother, since the agent told me the lowest average amount she's ever seen was $2000/year which was almost 4 times what I was paying before.

I then got an online quote thru geico commercial that came out to 73/mo with a 103 upfront payment, and that covered all TNC phases as well as personal use.

You can get your own quote at http://commercial.geico.com

20. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT