1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber alternatives, The side gig thought

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Jay Dean, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Let's say being a waiter, working banquests, doing hundreds of other areas of work usually designed in an 8hr shift, which is how MOST of everything works...If you were to take a SHIFT at a place of employment, and it did NOT utilize the actual expense of your car, would or would not that be more profitable after true expenses?

In other words, lets say you do a SHIFT time job, and you show up and only make 12hr vs making 20hr WITH your car what would be better?

That was my point, not trying to break down how you find a job you can say yes to or no to (on call), I am simply talking about numbers and what benefits the person doing that kind of work vs the expense of doing Uber.

2. yes

3. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

You guys are funny. The horse is still dead.

4. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Lol, going back to original post, would being miserable and making more at a job that PAYS without the true expenses on a side gig level be better then having full freedom and ACTUALLY making less after true expenses?

screw it sounds like it evens out, ill go back to driving lol

5. Cable, I had it correct, working 40 hours a week just makes you old.

Cableguynoe likes this.
  6. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    I have a full time job on top of the 3 side gigs I have. I rely on the full time job for secure pay and benefits. Doing side gig to help fund my retirement since no retirement plan at primary job.

I know a lady that is 76 years old and has never had a full time job. She has always had 3-8 side jobs or gigs. She is a very happy person, while not rich is very well off and could have quit working 10+ years ago if she wanted to. She did cut back to 3 side jobs/gigs about 5 years ago.

Personally I like having the full time job and she cringes at the thoughts of a full time job. We are both happy so I guess it comes down to individual taste.

Trumpet Sounds likes this.
  7. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I think I understand her. I am 73 and quit working full time eight years ago. I really enjoy being in command of my schedule. I don't really have to be anywhere unless I have agreed to be there. Because of the mandatory distributions from my IRAs, and some other steams of income, I make just about the same as when I worked full time... but don't have to go to work unless I want to.

Tarvus and FLKeys like this.
  8. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    On the pro side, you forgot probable benefits like health insurance, 401k, paid holidays, vacation, paid sick days, Workers Compensation Insurance, and, most likely, State unemployment insurance and state disability insurance or some kind of disability insurance in the benefits package.

9. Noted.

10. TomTheAnt

TomTheAnt

Driving:
    UberX
    This. Other than that I don’t have to ask my wife a permission to go U/L’ing. :D

Cableguynoe likes this.
  11. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

I suppose it is a bit tricky to explain but many business I believe need someone to “fill In” when they need, which is imo just a side gig. Security is big into that, I work when I want to, I’ll get a last minute call to fill in if I want BUT no benefits whatsoever, the great part is I can say no or yes kinda like Uber. Other jobs like that exist I’m sure, especially in the service industry which is exactly the same as driving for U/L as it is just part of the service industry

For instance, I know for a fact in Austin, you can make 20+hr being an 'on-call' banquets server (after some experience) usually 10-12 starting (which is still better than car expense,) working many different hotels/events, a 'yes/no' scenerio With an awesome free meal per shift usually. Why I don't do that myself I still do not know...(mainly applies to major cities where events happen and seasonal attractions)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Ouch! That was a lowball move that I've seen women pull a few times. Usually it happens when they decide they're tired of working jobs that give them a paycheck.

What I haven't figured out is why my Significant Other is like yours.

Encouraged me to start driving, continues to encourage me to keep doing it. I'll start driving again in a few weeks, after I get a break from my current consulting job.

Why does us driving for Uber appeal to partners so much? I mean, it's not like it's easy to keep tabs on us. It's not like we're bringing in big bucks. What's up with it?

Jay Dean likes this.
  13. My Dictionary:

Gig:
    A
    sucker’s bet

Cableguynoe and Jay Dean like this.
  14. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    When that cat is away the mice will play. LOL

Christinebitg and Jay Dean like this.
  15. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    It's possible. But I haven't seen any indications of it. And I do keep my eyes open in that regard.

But this is a person I've lived with for 12 years. We know most of each other's shortcomings and blind spots by now.

16. No, you're a tool.

17. 2Cents

2Cents

Enlight328.jpg

Cableguynoe likes this.
  18. ECOMCON

ECOMCON

I worked a 40 hour week once
    back in the year Never

19. warsaw

warsaw

The best part for me as part time driver is the fact that I can get a trip on my way to my regular job and often on the way home. So, basically it's the flexibility of earning extra income whenever I have some free time.
    The money may not be great, but every little bit helps to defray my personal and family expenses.

Christinebitg likes this.
  20. Nonya busy

Nonya busy

There's no benefits to driving uber except instant cash. But, that instant cash is ridiculously and criminally low. The risks are high and the expenses are high.

Jay Dean likes this.