• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Airport FIFO...actual zone.

Bill Feit

Since legal SAN pickup I have had two issues bothering me. I wrote SD support about them and here is gist of it:

My email:

Aug 18, 09:53

Hi, my fellow drivers and I are confused about two issues regarding SAN pickup. Please do not just send me the canned press release for drivers as I have read it dozens of times and it does not answer these two questions:

1) While in FIFO zone we receive NON Airport pick up requests. What happens if we DO NOT accept these requests?

2) Is the area OFF Airport property bounded by McCain road the canal and Harbor drive included in the FIFO? This would include the Wally Parking area?

An answer to this question will help not only me but numerous other local SAN Diego drivers as we keep in touch.

Thanks.

Support response (first one):

Aug 18, 14:38

Hi William,

Thanks for reaching out! I understand your concern.

1. If you receive NON Airport pickup requests You can cancel the request.

2. Airport property bounded by McCain road the canal and Harbor drive is not included in FIFO.
I hope you understand. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best,

Because she did not answer my question about ignoring or not accepting I went back and here is final reply received today:

Hi William,

Thanks for reaching out!

As said before you can cancel the request but yes it will effect your acceptance rate. I suggest you to accept the non airport pickups if you are interested or u can cancel the request but not excessively.

If you need to cancel, tap the clipboard icon at the top of your screen and hit the CANCEL button. To keep your acceptance rate high, please be sure to accept every trip request that comes your way.

We value your partnership with Uber.

Best,

I really wish I could have got a more direct response to the question but from this I am now going to manage the airport by NOT using the McCain to Canal area and I will accept and then cancel no airport trips.

Hope this helps my fellow drivers.

frndthDuvel

I have accepted 3 non airport requests so far while in the FIFO . About 120 net pre UBER cut. I have had at least 3 rides net less than 10 dollars from the airport. So like all pings, it is the luck of the draw. I think the only calls I would cancel would be from Coronado.

I agree with Duvel, it's luck of the draw. Personally I base my strategy on the day while I had a bad A/P week last sunday with 4 A/P trips to OB and Point Loma, I've had at least 20 that were 20+ miles so on the whole the trips are good. too me.

I would say though, I used to always cancel the non A/P rides except on really slow days, but then I took a couple, and while some were crappy rides to gaslamp, I actually got some good rides out of there. I took a girl from a wedding at that place at the end back to her house, one lady wanted to drop her coworker at another harbor island hotel then go to her hotel in del mar, another ride from the park on harbor island down to national city and these are just the ones I remember. I've also had some decent nearby rides including a few back to the A/P and a A/P ping during my drop off.

RockinEZ

I don't cancel any calls. Many of the Harbor Island/Liberty pings are good rides. Many active duty military are housed at Liberty Station. The folks on Harbor Island are usually there only to eat/party/concerts. All are good rides.

for me it depends on where the ping comes from and the day i'm having. if the A/P has been busy and my first ping is non A/P and especially if the ride is coming from Shelter Island area I'll ignore the first one. The second one is going to kick me out anyway so I'll take that one.

if it's slow I'll take anything that pops up. I just pray for a good ride in that case.

Bill Feit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't get me wrong I have accepted MANY calls on Shelter Island and Harbor Island..that is EXACTLY why I wrote support...what if I do not want them? Am I still in FIFO. I usually do not want these calls if I am at the end of my day and trying to get home. Most of those calls for me have been going to the Zoo, Balboa Park, even Coronado..tourists. Yes, they have been good fares often but I am stuck in SD...I have never had one of these calls go any further than Qualcomm Company. I think the airport pu offers my best chance to get back to North County..now I know I can accept and cancel and remain in FIFO if I want to. Last week I picked up a Dad and Son at Marriott Residence Inn on 6th Street...Took to Legoland! Yes, it does happen but not often. Probably just my bad luck. Today I had 3 airport pickups and they all went to downtown hotels so not what I want either! BTW, I drove home empty rather than hang out at SAN longer.

RockinEZ

Don't get me wrong I have accepted MANY calls on Shelter Island and Harbor Island..that is EXACTLY why I wrote support...what if I do not want them? Am I still in FIFO. I usually do not want these calls if I am at the end of my day and trying to get home. Most of those calls for me have been going to the Zoo, Balboa Park, even Coronado..tourists. Yes, they have been good fares often but I am stuck in SD...I have never had one of these calls go any further than Qualcomm Company. I think the airport pu offers my best chance to get back to North County..now I know I can accept and cancel and remain in FIFO if I want to. Last week I picked up a Dad and Son at Marriott Residence Inn on 6th Street...Took to Legoland! Yes, it does happen but not often. Probably just my bad luck. Today I had 3 airport pickups and they all went to downtown hotels so not what I want either! BTW, I drove home empty rather than hang out at SAN longer.
For me SD is where the money is. I like long airport trips to Carlsbad or Oceanside, but I cherry pick until I can get back down "amungst-'em".

RockinEZ

If it is the right time of day I will ping around in Carlsbad for a while. I used to live there and know the town well. Generally I try to make it down to the population centers and the attractions. If I see beach towels, swim suits, and a cooler I move on and CXL. No sand in my car. :cool:

Germania

Hi everyone I just got a month doing Uber. What does a A/p mean?
What good advice do you have for a beginner like me. I live in San Ysidro
I'm a single mom. I never drive after 6pm
So far so good
Thanks
Germania

Oscar Levant

Since legal SAN pickup I have had two issues bothering me. I wrote SD support about them and here is gist of it:

My email:

Aug 18, 09:53

Hi, my fellow drivers and I are confused about two issues regarding SAN pickup. Please do not just send me the canned press release for drivers as I have read it dozens of times and it does not answer these two questions:

1) While in FIFO zone we receive NON Airport pick up requests. What happens if we DO NOT accept these requests?
You're allowed one rejection. The second one will kick you offlline, and you'll get a nasty pop up telling you to log back on after 2 minutes.

A work around to get two rejects, is on the second, accept then cancel with "no charge to rider" and you'll still be in the queue. However, keep track of your cancellation percentage, and do not let it rise above 10%. If it's there or higher, DO NOT DO THIS.

2) Is the area OFF Airport property bounded by McCain road the canal and Harbor drive included in the FIFO? This would include the Wally Parking area?
You will be in the queue if you clear inside the port (includes McCain ) , but won't be able to accept a request until your car reaches Harbor Blvd, airport side, wherever you exit the port. CAVEAT: If you veer into the Spanish Landing ( perhaps to use the bathroom ) you will be taken off line, AND if you go into the cell phone lot ( so go only to the TNC staging area, but you can wait anywhere in the zone. ) The borders are: Laurel on the east side. Canon on the west side. Rosecrans ( your good on either lane ) on the north side in the liberty station area, and Lytton on the east side of Liberty Station, and then onward commencing at Washington & PCH and along PCH to Laurel on the North side of the airport. The south side is moot, since it's the ocean. ( yeah, it's an illusion, but if you look on a map, the south side is the ocean ).

There may be other dead zones ( where'll you'll get kicked off) but I don't know. You just have to do it on a trial and error basis.

Last edited:

Poopy54

When I ignore the ping at San for non airport rides, I am ok, if I ignore another within minutes, I get kicked off the app for Uber, and sent back to the end of the line, I have only received airport from Lyft.

So the trick is to accept, then cancel? and you stay 1-10?

Escoman

I wish they would come up with a way to be in the zone and not go in the que .Can't tell you how many times your near downtown or
little Italy there is a big surge and get thrown in AP que and get no trip.

Pesty

I learned the hard way about that Spanish Landing lot. Que went down to 10 cars and I got reset. it wasn't too bad though cause when I finally got my ride it went all the way to North Torrey Pines

Borislav Boychinov

When you get a trip before the circle disappears you simply minimize the app until it does disappear. Or if you have your app already minimized ( like checking your Facebook or something) and get the notification for a new ride just swipe up the notification to disappear if you don't want the trip ( on the iPhones you see trip details in the notifications, dunno about android ) and that's it. You don't get kicked out from the Q and your acceptance rate stays at 100%

Jagent

I'm not in SD, but our airport queue works the same. I've learned not to worry about the timeout. Usually what happens is that everyone else in the queue will also ignore the ping. You get tossed to the back of the line, but if you just wait 5 minutes, everyone else gets booted too and you'll be back in front quickly.