1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

UBER ADMITS self-driving car SAW pedestrian, but did not react

Discussion in 'News' started by JimKE, May 8, 2018.

1. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

2. Just Another Uber Drive

Just Another Uber Drive Well-Known Member

And yet we know from the video that the driver immediately assessed the situation and determined the outcome just by glancing up. SDC tech has a long way to go. And Uber, with their tendency to lie, steal, cheat and then lie some more, is not the company that is going to bring it to us.

tohunt4me and freeFromUber like this.
  3. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Truth be told, the "driver" is the one who killed the lady. He/she was staring at their cellphone for a continuous 6-7 seconds immediately prior to impact.

Some fail-safe system! Uber + a "safety driver" who didn't care = a dead lady.

phillipzx3 likes this.
  4. Just Another Uber Drive

Not defending the driver, I'm just saying that from the video we can see that as soon as he/she glanced up and saw the lady crossing the street he/she immediately knew that there was a person in the path of the vehicle and that the vehicle and the human were going to intersect. Meanwhile the tech saw the person and said "screw it, probably a bag rolling across the street." And that was a programming choice Uber made to mask the issues with their SDC tech which can't go half a mile without human intervention.

5. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    True but i still think everyone is to blame including the pedestrian

Uberfunitis likes this.
  6. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Down with the evil death machine...

end uber's self driving killing machine..

Rakos likes this.
  7. Just Another Uber Drive

The next step in the evolution of self-driving tech will come from military contracting. Uber will not be involved.

JimKE likes this.
  8. Kodyhead

Kodyhead Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I was just calling to see if you were on your way, my phone shows your tank isn't moving for a few mins

9. Just Another Uber Drive

ed209_2014.jpg

"I can see that you are not here. But I am at the location at which you placed the pin. Toes on the curb. You have five minutes to comply."

10. Taxi2Uber

Taxi2Uber Well-Known Member

Gotta love the wording. The "software" was at fault.
    Not the programmers for dialing down the program.
    Not Uber, for instructing the programmers to dial down the program.
    Apparently it was a self programming software. :rolleyes:

NYCY and Rakos like this.
  11. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Uber just admitted fault of a negligent homocide. Most states have an inclusion in accidents that state if you can avoid an accident and you don't then the outcome is your fault. Uber admitted that their autonomous saw the pedestrian but did nothing to avoid the accident.

12. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧ Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  13. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right -- and that is the landmine in all this for Uber. This is NOT a random technical glitch. This is a conscious, deliberate decision on the part of Uber managers that led to the woman's death.

Key Question: What happens in organizations when you have a program that is not going well? Pressure from above to meet the numbers. And the level of pressure is directly proportional to the importance of the program.

How important is the autonomous vehicle program to Uber? Uber sees both SDC's and Pool as critical to their survival.

And just HOW BAD is Uber at autonomous? From the article:

So...to improve their performance and show "progress" to their bosses, the SDC team relaxed the sensitivity of the SDC's reaction to input from the LIDAR and other detection systems.

I mean, there is a HUMAN SAFETY DRIVER in the car at all times...what's the worst that could happen?

14. jocker12

jocker12 Well-Known Member

15. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Driving:
    Taxi
    It's a LOT easier to design something with the INTENTION of Killing people or blowing shat up than it is to develop something to keep people safe.

just saying LOL..

16. Jesusdrivesuber

Jesusdrivesuber Well-Known Member

That's how they plan to avoid jail time for anyone working for them in the future, making code responsible.

Taxi2Uber likes this.
  17. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A Google exec pointed out that sdc tech has to become fully automated because humans falsely trust it to be good enough. There isn't a line where humans drive 50%/sdc 50%.

18. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Too bad the Human Driver DIDNT SEE THE PEDESTRIAN

UNTIL SHE WAS A HOOD ORNAMENT !

19. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Driving:
    Taxi
    This incident was a textbook case of that being true... she (the "safety driver") wasn't paying one lick of attention and didn't realize anything until the car hit her.

Even slamming on the brakes at the last second and STILL hitting her could have saved her life.

It's like tossing a bullet to someone Vs shooting them with a gun.

velocity is makes all the difference in the world.