Uber actively waging war on drivers

JasonB

Has anyone noticed the dirty rotten low-down trick that uber has implemented in order to screw over drivers again?

This time, uber is putting a tight stranglehold on one of the very last powers that drivers yield - the driver cancellation and no show fee collection from pax who can't be bothered to show up on time and/or drop their pins in a reasonable spot for a pickup.

The way the no-show fee should work and has been working until now:

Pax requests ride from busy street, with absolutely nowhere for a driver to safely stop or park because they can't be bothered to walk half a block for a safe pickup spot. Fine. You, as a driver, arrive at pin on busy street, And you either don't see pax, or there is nowhere safe to stop so you circle back around the block to try another pick up attempt.

The whole time, the countdown timer has been activated and keeps running. You try 1 maybe 2 more times around the block before cancelling on pax and collecting your $4. After all, pax has wasted your time, not being ready, or dropping a horribly dangerous pin location where you can't safely stop.

What happens now:

So what happens instead now is one of the biggest crocks of s*** I have seen so far. Even low for ubers standards.

Same scenario. Now, however, instead of the timer staying active while you circle the block, the timer STOPS and RESETS once you are a couple hundred feet away from pax. It will hit u with a little notification saying 'move closer to your passenger and the timer that was running is now gone and must be reset and starts at ZERO again once activated!

This is some if the biggest B.S. I have seen so far from uber. I'm feeling a big lawsuit in the works on this one.

Why?

Uber is actively encouraging dangerous behavior from pax and drivers by basically forcing drivers to stop and wait in dangerous locations (ie just stopping in the middle of busy streets) in order to collect cancellation fees!

This is just going to encourage more bad behavior from pax, more dangerous driving from drivers and even more chaos.

I can even picture pax purposely setting a pin right where they know a driver can't stop and pick them up, then having a good laugh at them watching them go around and around the block like an idiot knowing they will never be charged a cancellation fee.

This is outrageous!

squeaky_ride

What your saying bugs me. I can't stand going out of my way without pay and on my own gas, and then a rider not being there, or isn't yet ready. Don't request til you're ready to roll. I don't want to wait for your friend or significant other to finish their cig, finish their drink, finish closing out their tab, using the toilet, go back for their purse etc. And yes, they all think we get paid to wait. Yup, a glorious 11.25 cents a minute. Sorry for the rant, preaching to the choir.

Back on topic, my recent scenario was a little different from yours, but I expected a cancellation fee.

Drove a few minutes backward, away from a blood red surge mind you, for an X. Gated community. Call, no answer. Text, no reply. Use gate call box to reach them, no answer. Cancel ride, reason no show. This took 2 minutes, but I wasn't close enough to start the clock. It was a few days ago, but now I wonder if I should have contacted support for a cancellation fee.

JasonB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What your saying bugs me. I can't stand going out of my way without pay and on my own gas, and then a rider not being there, or isn't yet ready. Don't request til you're ready to roll. I don't want to wait for your friend or significant other to finish their cig, finish their drink, finish closing out their tab, using the toilet, go back for their purse etc. And yes, they all think we get paid to wait. Yup, a glorious 11.25 cents a minute. Sorry for the rant, preaching to the choir.

Back on topic, my recent scenario was a little different from yours, but I expected a cancellation fee.

Drove a few minutes backward, away from a blood red surge mind you, for an X. Gated community. Call, no answer. Text, no reply. Use gate call box to reach them, no answer. Cancel ride, reason no show. This took 2 minutes, but I wasn't close enough to start the clock. It was a few days ago, but now I wonder if I should have contacted support for a cancellation fee.
Much like you, this REALLY bugs the hell out of me. Out of all the dirty tricks
Uber has pulled on drivers, this is probably the most underhanded.

Are you a pax who NEVER wants to be charged a no-show cancellation fee again?

Great! it's simple now...

Just set your pin right on a busy street or intersection. This guarantees you will never
be hit with a cancellation fee ever again!

Wombat7

I feel your pain here but this is actually a fairly rare occurrence for me because of the times and where I work. This happens to me more on the weekends rather then during the week and then not that often.

What causes me psychological trauma is upfront pricing. They make a helluva lot more money this way then what they would if they raised the fares.

Blatant dishonesty and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Null

I've seen the drive closer to passenger popup but haven't seen the counter reset.

But yeah it's dumb. You can get one of those 'alley' addresses and be right in front of the real address and it'll tell you to drive closer. Idiotic.

Pesty

That would explain one of my rides from a red curb downtown the other day never credited after 6 minutes. I had to keep rolling and went around the corner and waited. Even texted them can't pickup out front, on corner but 6 mins later I cancel no show and never got the fee. i vaguely remember seeing something about drive closer at some point.

UberEsq

I've seen the drive closer to passenger popup but haven't seen the counter reset.

But yeah it's dumb. You can get one of those 'alley' addresses and be right in front of the real address and it'll tell you to drive closer. Idiotic.
Alas, basically all of P.B. and/or North Park. "Drive closer?" Kiss my ass, at this point I might just cancel either way because, I'm an independent contractor...

Kevin4163

I never jump through hoops to collect a cancellation fee. If I can legally and safely park at the pin and wait, I will. If I can't, I cancel. If they request again, I have three options:

1) ignore request
2) accept and cancel again
3) accept and drive away and wait for them to cancel

You end up wasting even more time/money or worse, run the risk of getting a ticket trying to get the cancellation fee. Not worth it. Leave those pax for the ants.

UberEsq

I never jump through hoops to collect a cancellation fee. If I can legally and safely park at the pin and wait, I will. If I can't, I cancel. If they request again, I have three options:

1) ignore request

You end up wasting even more time/money or worse, run the risk of getting a ticket trying to get the cancellation fee. Not worth it. Leave those pax for the ants.
You make a compelling point here.

JasonB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1) ignore request

This is the only way to work things moving forward.

Uber is now not only condoning, but actually REWARDING bad
driving and illegal stops!

I feel your pain here but this is actually a fairly rare occurrence for me because of the times and where I work. This happens to me more on the weekends rather then during the week and then not that often.

What causes me psychological trauma is upfront pricing. They make a helluva lot more money this way then what they would if they raised the fares.

Blatant dishonesty and they're laughing all the way to the bank.
I agree, this is probably a rare occasion for some, but happens quite often
for others; those who drive a lot in North Park, PB, DT and Gaslamp.

This is also a common occurrence at smaller and large one-off events where
staging in advance isn't the norm;

Farmers Markets, street fairs, concerts in the park etc etc...

This is where this happened to me last night and I noticed it for the first time.

There was a concert down at Powerhouse park, and I had to drive by twice because there
was nowhere to stop, and of course, pax nowhere to be seen/not ready to go.

2nd time I passed by, I noticed my wait timer had reset to ZERO, and when I passed by
for a second time, it had a red warning up there saying 'move closer to passenger' and
the timer had completely disappeared!

wb6vpm

Thats BS! Someone who has had this happen to them should (when not driving) send a ticket to Uber to specifically call them out on it to see what they have to say about how we are supposed to handle these types of issues!