• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber actively trying to get rid of drivers.

MedicMan

Now Uber is working hard to get the motorized bicycles into the system. That will eliminate more drivers which is their ultimate goal.

Thankfully that will not work in Portland because of the rain. Most of the scooters sit idle when it is raining as will the bicycles. That will mean a longer ROI for both scooters and bicycles which will cost Uber more money over time.

Uber/Lyft is not your friend and they are not looking out for you. They are all about making money and using the drivers to do that until they can get rid of us once and for all.

columbuscatlady

Now Uber is working hard to get the motorized bicycles into the system. That will eliminate more drivers which is their ultimate goal.

Thankfully that will not work in Portland because of the rain. Most of the scooters sit idle when it is raining as will the bicycles. That will mean a longer ROI for both scooters and bicycles which will cost Uber more money over time.

Uber/Lyft is not your friend and they are not looking out for you. They are all about making money and using the drivers to do that until they can get rid of us once and for all.
It depends on where you live. Motorized bikes will only work in Downtown areas. Uber wants business in the suburbs too and bikes won't work.

MedicMan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It depends on where you live. Motorized bikes will only work in Downtown areas. Uber wants business in the suburbs too and bikes won't work.
There are scooters all over the suburbs. I see them everywhere. It's like NYC and seeing rats. The bikes will have a major advantage. They can carry a lot more power which means they can go longer distances without charge. If the person pedals they can go 90 miles with a Bosch system averaging 12 mph. If they don't pedal much at all they can still get 30 miles at 12mph.

Then there is the advantage of being able to pedal the bike if the battery goes dead.

AND it's only $2 for 30 minutes. AND you can use a bike lane which avoids all the traffic.

I can take one of those bikes from downtown Portland to Gresham for $2 and get there faster than an Uber car.

Clayla

Uber/Lyft is not your friend and they are not looking out for you.
I knew they weren’t my friends because I know I never make friends with multinational corporations. I process transportation requests generated by their customers for a cut of the transaction fee. That’s far from being a friendship.

As for e-bikes and scooters, it looks like these companies want to remain a viable player in the urban/suburban transportation space. That’s more than we can say about a lot of rideshare drivers. Unless you’re an indispensable component in the transaction, plan on being dispensed with. Plan on it.

columbuscatlady

There are scooters all over the suburbs. I see them everywhere. It's like NYC and seeing rats. The bikes will have a major advantage. They can carry a lot more power which means they can go longer distances without charge. If the person pedals they can go 90 miles with a Bosch system averaging 12 mph. If they don't pedal much at all they can still get 30 miles at 12mph.

Then there is the advantage of being able to pedal the bike if the battery goes dead.

AND it's only $2 for 30 minutes. AND you can use a bike lane which avoids all the traffic.

I can take one of those bikes from downtown Portland to Gresham for $2 and get there faster than an Uber car.

It won't work where I am, the distance from the restaurants to the customers are too far.

Mista T

Author
It won't work where I am, the distance from the restaurants to the customers are too far.
Portland is an amazingly bike friendly city, likely #1 in the nation. So much so that the city is actively, systematically REDUCING the number of lanes of traffic every year, and has been for years now. 4 lane roads turn into 2 lanes and a bike lane on each side. Entire streets are blocked to cars, dedicated to bicycle traffic. It is freaking insane!

Portland is statistically the #3 city in the country for annual rainfall as well. You would think that bikes would be doomed to failure, but it has the opposite effect. People jump on their bikes with their holier-than-thou attitudes and get mad when they cut you off and you don't apologize for using their road. It's really kind of crazy! If it weren't for all the great beers and legal marijuana, I'm sure there would be a lot more man.vs.machine fights taking place every day out here, lmao.

Come on out and visit sometime. :smiles:

MedicMan

Since this is a Portland thread the bicycles will work here nicely pretty much year round. They will also work very well in Columbus except in the winter.

CTK

You really think that's there ultimate goal? Explain things like fighting hard against the cap in NYC, referral fees, constantly lowering the vehicle standards, and zillions of us on the road.

I personally think their ultimate goal is to have every car on the road be an Uber car.

Bob Driver

Well, they got rid of me :smiles: and so did Lyft :smiles:... in all fairness this driving gig was not really a job for me other than to just get extra money on my time and not on a clock. With my wife just getting pharmacy license and my daughter getting her massage therapy license and job and my job at the hospital we no longer need the extra gig money. so for all intents and purposes, I am done with it. I may on occasion still do it for toy money and not pay off school money.

columbuscatlady

Well, they got rid of me :smiles: and so did Lyft :smiles:... in all fairness this driving gig was not really a job for me other than to just get extra money on my time and not on a clock. With my wife just getting pharmacy license and my daughter getting her massage therapy license and job and my job at the hospital we no longer need the extra gig money. so for all intents and purposes, I am done with it. I may on occasion still do it for toy money and not pay off school money.
Wow, fired from both......I really don't know what to say. Are you trusted with lives at that hospital job?

Bob Driver

Wow, fired from both......I really don't know what to say. Are you trusted with lives at that hospital job?
lol, I never said I got fired from either. I was talking about the thread title about how they are actively trying to get rid of drivers. I chose to get out because of the piss poor rates and other stuff. But I can see how one might interpet that as getting fired.

MedicMan

lol, I never said I got fired from either. I was talking about the thread title about how they are actively trying to get rid of drivers. I chose to get out because of the piss poor rates and other stuff. But I can see how one might interpet that as getting fired.
It's amazing how many folks I pick up that "used" to be ride sharing drivers. Once they get into it for a while they get to see just how little they make after all is said and done.

Mista T

Author
It's amazing how many folks I pick up that "used" to be ride sharing drivers. Once they get into it for a while they get to see just how little they make after all is said and done.
Agreed. Picked up many that said they drove for a while. The most anyone admitted to was over 2,000 rides. Even current drivers are in the hundreds. And many, many more that have said they were "thinking about" being a driver.

columbuscatlady

Agreed. Picked up many that said they drove for a while. The most anyone admitted to was over 2,000 rides. Even current drivers are in the hundreds. And many, many more that have said they were "thinking about" being a driver.
I only do UberEats and mine says I have had 4,500 trips.

Clayla

Thankfully that will not work in Portland because of the rain.
Incentivizing consumers to do things that they hadn’t previously considered doing is exactly the sort of challenge that rideshare companies have tailored their marketing and engineering skills toward mastering. Cheap e-bikes will be used in the rain by consumers that shop on price and consider it a badge of distinction to weave through traffic and get that last mile down without a second thought.

I often read a great deal of paranoia and dread in your posts @MedicMan The fact that Uber can’t be what you want them to be, doesn’t translate well on the other side of the provider/consumer divide. People will respond to the transportation options laid out in front of them and will do so with increased alacrity. They already do and that’s part of the reason we’re having this conversation.

As for Uber getting rid of drivers, yes, I agree. I’ve let them get rid of me to the tune of better than 90% of my gig economy money coming from restaurant delivery work instead of people delivery work. Much happier as a result of them getting rid of me.

Jupito

I'm seeing more and more complaints about all sorts of things, which makes sense. The worse the pay, the worse the drivers. At least some PAX are noticing the dropping quality of the experience.

MedicMan

I often read a great deal of paranoia and dread in your posts @MedicMan The fact that Uber can’t be what you want them to be, doesn’t translate well on the other side of the provider/consumer divide.
I know how businesses work. I had 7 of my own businesses. Uber is all about making money and they will get rid of the costliest part of the system. That is the driver. It's like the movement of the auto industry to use increased automation that eliminated millions of jobs.

I am not making a judgement either way, I am merely stating the obvious. Uber is not looking out for the drivers. They will use the drivers as long as then need to but their end goal is to get rid of the drivers. The technology is getting better and better all the time for self driving cars. Uber will save 80% of the cost of their business by going to self driving cars. And that means more money in their pocket. A lot more money.

Nerka

I think that people overestimate the scooter issue. They are a severe pain in the ass, but the people who ride them are mainly young, downtown, drunk & tourist. People who want to look decent at work or if they are going to meet friends will not use them. Also, most older people or people at night will not use them. And wait until the pedestrian and bicycle accidents start to occur and the activist go after them. As far as automation goes, they still can't get me right to the passengers half the time. In Portland automation is at least 5 years away, and since some people will feel uncomfortable with it, manual driving will be a slow decline, not sudden. Just my 2 cents.