Uber Account Hacked!

rayster702

I went to turn my app and it said I had to log back in. My user name/email address was not recognized, and so was'nt my cell number. Im afraid someone cashed out my account. If so, has this ever happened to anyone else, and if so will Uber reimburse my money..????

Freebyrdie

You must have gotten the "call".
You accept a ping for a ride.
Rider calls, they say they are Uber and are giving you x dollars cause your so freaking wonderful.
They cancel the ride and instruct you to change your email or password or something like that.
They get control of your account. Change to their phone number. Change to their bank and cash out.
Something like that?
You won't be reimbursed but you need to figure which ride it was and report it.

rayster702

I never got a call, or text message. I just turned it on, and had not had my first ride for the day. I am headed to the green light center to see what's going on..!?!

I had one of those calls before and I just hung up on them!

LV-NightRider

I went to turn my app and it said I had to log back in. My user name/email address was not recognized, and so was'nt my cell number. Im afraid someone cashed out my account. If so, has this ever happened to anyone else, and if so will Uber reimburse my money..????
Yep, happened to me early on last year. Went to Green Light, got it fixed. Didn't lose any money, as I cash out every night when I get home. I wasn't hacked. I was just deleted. Got everything restored at GreenLight.

Last edited:

rayster702

Yep, happened to me early on last year. Went to Green Light, got it fixed. Didn't lose any money, as I cash out every night when I get home.

Yep, went to the Uber Hub and got it fixed. Apparently someone in London hacked into my Rider account which is linked to my driver app. They were joyriding from pub- to- pub on my credit card on file. On a positive note, my driver earnings was not compromised. BLOODY BASTARDS!

beezlewaxin

How did your account get hacked? Did Uber tell you anything or explain how someone in London can hack a random account here in the U.S.?

Seems like any of us could be hacked if there was nothing the OP did to let the hacker take over the account.

Tool727

How did your account get hacked? Did Uber tell you anything or explain how someone in London can hack a random account here in the U.S.?

Seems like any of us could be hacked if there was nothing the OP did to let the hacker take over the account.
There have been a few news stories of late regarding Uber accounts being sold online. Example link below, if you check the bullet points early in that article it gives a summary of a likely scenario that could yield compromised accounts.

Bottom line, regardless of whether that's what happened in this case, it is a bad practice to use the same userIDs/passwords for multiple online resources/websites. As much of a PITA as it is to do otherwise.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...re-selling-cheaper-than-frosty-fruits/8681166

LV-NightRider

Yep, went to the Uber Hub and got it fixed. Apparently someone in London hacked into my Rider account which is linked to my driver app. They were joyriding from pub- to- pub on my credit card on file. On a positive note, my driver earnings was not compromised. BLOODY BASTARDS!
I know websites can be copied if the security is not tight enough. I have heard that smart phones can be copied as well if not secured properly. Could possibly have been a hacker in town for the convention, hacked your phone while riding with you. Wifi hot spot on your phone has been noted as a potential weak spot.

rayster702

Uber said this was the first time they have seen this. It just happened to me again last night, My rider app shut down in the middle of the ride. I had to log back on, and my password was changed. Thank god, they did not change my email, so I was able to reset my password again. Perhaps my phone has a malware, or something...??

There have been a few news stories of late regarding Uber accounts being sold online. Example link below, if you check the bullet points early in that article it gives a summary of a likely scenario that could yield compromised accounts.

Bottom line, regardless of whether that's what happened in this case, it is a bad practice to use the same userIDs/passwords for multiple online resources/websites. As much of a PITA as it is to do otherwise.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...re-selling-cheaper-than-frosty-fruits/8681166
Good info to know... :frown:

gerg

Uber said this was the first time they have seen this. It just happened to me again last night, My rider app shut down in the middle of the ride. I had to log back on, and my password was changed. Thank god, they did not change my email, so I was able to reset my password again. Perhaps my phone has a malware, or something...??

Good info to know... :frown:
You may want to close your account and start over with a second email address.

Daniel Harbin

I got an email today from UBER or the email seemed to be legit. I did not click any links and opened the email in a container. I then went to my account using a container and secure connection and changed both email and password. Someone tried to hack my account and change the password. So I think UBER has been compromised. I think also I am gonna start cashing out each night.

Freebyrdie

I get legit looking account verification or change needed from apple hackers all the time. They look as legit as can be.....you have to look carefully. If in doubt, call.

qtjestr

Does anyone here know how to reach Uber? My account has been hacked and because I did it through a source that gives me a refund I will get a refund, however I need to close my account. My account has been taken over twice I did not confirm anything or do anything to have this occur and I’m just trying to reach Uber. I’ve already emailed them twice with no response

Daniel Harbin

Twice? You are most likely being phished for your PW with a trojan or some other malware or misleading email. Change your PW to a 12+ alphanumerical and special characters. No easy ones. Check your PC's and stop using wireless for communication is possible. Log onto Uber and tell em your account was hacked they will put you through the grinder but your account will be whole again.

qtjestr

When I try to log into Uber it won’t even let me log into an account it is making me create a new one. I have change my password to a 10 plus multipurpose word. I let Khubbar know yesterday and this morning I have received no response. Thank you so much for the helpful information I just think that there is something to this and I think their security is horrible and they need to be reprimanded legally. I’ve been practicing law for 22 years and the more I see about these accounts being hacked the more I think that Uber is the problem.

Wolfecreak

It's that time of the year where everything gets hacked for free money. 4th quarter is always the best.

Daniel Harbin

The "hacks" are more likely email phishing expeditions. A real looking email shows up and you click innocently. Or you have other accounts that have been hacked and have the same PWs. Unique PWs for each website and company, change them often.