Uber 180 Days of Change - Index List

ajcadoo

As we progress through Uber's 180 Days of Change, I thought it would be good to list all of Uber's changes in one post. So, let's begin!

Earnings
6/21/2017

1. Tipping is Coming
Tipping is available in Seattle, Minneapolis and Houston as of today. We’re starting with only 3 cities so we can create the best tipping experience for you and your riders. We’ll be adding more cities over the next few weeks, and will make tips available to all U.S. drivers, by the end of July 2017. Of course, Uber service fees are never deducted from your tips.

2. Shorter 2 Minute Cancellation Window
You’ll receive a cancellation fee if your rider cancels after more than 2 minutes (down from 5 minutes previously).

3. No More Unpaid Wait-times
You will earn a per-minute rate if you wait for a rider, starting 2 minutes after arrival.

4. All Driver Destination Trips Count Toward Quest
Every trip you take now counts toward reaching your Quest total.

5. Quest Earnings are Available for Instant Pay
You can now immediately cash out your Quest earnings using Instant Pay.

Support
7/26/2017

1. 24/7 Phone Support
We want to make sure it’s easy to get the help you need, whether you have a quick question or an incident to report. That’s why we’re offering 24/7 phone support directly through the Driver app. Call anytime, and you’ll be connected to an agent in under 2 minutes who will listen carefully and help you find a solution.

2. Quick Fare Fixes
Everyone forgets to start a trip once in awhile. We’re introducing self-service support, so you can correct a fare without contacting Uber. You can easily confirm the pickup and dropoff location online, and soon in the app, to receive an adjusted payout.

3. Ratings Protection
We’re adding ratings protection, so when a rider gives a low rating for something out of your control, such as price or issues with the app, it won’t count toward your overall rating. This way, your rating is a more accurate reflection of your driving and service.

4. Get paid for returning lost items
On average a driver returns 11 lost items a year. That’s a lot of time spent on the road and not earning. You’ll soon receive $15 from your rider for every item you return, and riders will have the option of thanking you with a tip.

5. Faster document reviews
We’re speeding up the document review process for registration, driver’s licenses, and insurance cards. In most cases, when you upload documents, we’ll get you an answer within 2 hours. That means earnings aren’t interrupted, and you always know where you stand.

6. In-person & on your schedule
No more waiting for in-person help. Starting today, you can schedule certain Greenlight Hub appointments ahead of time, so you can get in, meet with an Uber Expert, and get out on-time. Scheduling is easy with just a few taps in the app.

7. And More!
In addition to these improvements, we’ve reviewed and revised all 100+ of our policies to ensure they’re driver friendly. You’ll see these changes in action throughout your support experience. We’re committed to putting you first.

Flexibility & Choice
8/23/2017

1. More Driver Destinations
With 6 Driver Destinations per day, up from 2, you can earn on your way to the places you want to be throughout the day.

2. Arrival times for destinations
You can now set an arrival time for each Driver Destination. Get where you need to be when you need to be there, whether it’s a dentist appointment or dinner at home.

3. Long trip notifications
Now you’ll get a heads-up when a trip is estimated to be 45 minutes or longer, so you have the info you need to choose the trips that work for you.

4. Trip type preferences
When ride requests are slow, you can make the most of your time by switching from giving rides to delivering food on UberEATS. Just update your Driver app and sign up to be an UberEATS delivery partner. Easily toggle between trip types and change your preferences anytime.

5. Friendlier acceptance rates
We're updating our acceptance rate policy so that declining trips won’t impact your Quest promotions or your account standing.

Month 4
~9/23/2017

TBA

Month 5
~10/23/2017

TBA

Month 6
~11/23/2017

TBA

Michael - Cleveland

Well done. I was going to put something like this together later tonight, but you've saved me the time. Thanks

Of course, #1, In-App TIPPING, is out of testing and is available now to all drivers/riders.

Also, Uber has raised earnings by around $0.035/mi to cover the cost of OPTIONAL, 'DRIVER INJURY PROTECTION INSURANCE COVERAGE', which drivers can opt-in to (or forgo and just keep the earnings increase).

Last edited:

Michael - Cleveland

1. as a moderator, why the attack? ...
1. I asked a question and invited you to explain your comment. If you think that's an attack, I'm afraid that's your problem. I'm glad you have now taken the time to explain what you meant by your comment. Most of your responses are thoughtful and considered. Please feel free to add more of your thoughts on the subject of 180 days to change. ( I always thought 180 Days of Change referred to how much profit the average driver makes in six months).

Still, this is the first time in 3 years I have seen Uber make changes that are for the benefit of drivers only, not driven (pardon the pun) by Rider concerns. Too little too late? Maybe. But it is (they are) a positive move in the right direction.

It's also more than a little bizarre that you think you know how much or how little all drivers earn in profits. I've been driving (part-time) for three years - and have never lost money driving Uber in any given year. I doubt I am the only exception to your declaration that "...the real issue which is UNPROFITABLE RATES NO MATTER WHAT MARKET YOU ARE IN!". I'm sorry if you can't make a profit (and am truly sad that so many drivers find themselves in the same situation) - but all that means is that driving Uber at these rates isn't profitable for you. As you said "there are none so blind..."

Uber earnings rates will go up when all drivers who are unprofitable stop driving and Uber needs to bring on enough drivers to meet demand. That's capitalism (and exploitation - but that's another topic altogether). Which makes it seem to me that your 'beef' is not with Uber, but rather with all of the drivers out there who are willing to drive for peanuts.

4. the rates are all any serious driver cares about ...
I'm serious - and I care about rates - and a lot of other things.
5. any ride share driver worth his/her salt knows that you need at least $1.25/mile and .30/minute just to break even...
As a blanket statement, this has been disproved here on UP.net many, many times. However, if you're driving a newer car that is depreciating a lot with every mile you drive - and you paid an arm & a leg for it - and you're financing - and you're paying both Liability and Collision/Comp... then I agree with you. I don't do any of that. So you're blanket statement about all drivers just doesn't hold true.
6. destination filters mean less requests...
True! But destination filters are also 'optional'. They only provide fewer requests if the driver chooses to use them. That puts more control on the driver's side of things. (Uber and Lyft can't manufacture more rides that just happen to be going where you want to go).
7. tipping is about the same and helps very little to reach the "break even" point...
I'm sorry that's your experience. First, my Uber tips - before the in-app option - increased my weekly earnings by as little as 20% and as much as 40% even though they came form only 10% of my riders. Second, in the few weeks the in-app option has been available I (and other drivers here in CLE) have seen a significant increase in tips... and most surprising to me and contrary to what I expected, my cash tips have not fallen by much. (yet?)
8. shorter cancellation window and paid wait time again doesn't make any noticeable difference (again, only less unprofitable, possibly)...
I agree that it makes an insignificant difference in earnings - and I was just discussing this with some other drivers tonight: What the charge for wait time does is get RIDERS to move their butt out the door to meet their ride. Many don't seem to consider how little the wait time charge is - they just know they are now being charged. That saves me time - and time spent waiting, to me, is lost money.
11. arrival times and long trip notice make no difference...and getting paid for items left behind happens too infrequently to matter....
Makes no difference to you, but it makes a big difference to someone who has to pick their kids up from school in an hour (or be at work, etc.) as they can now know that accepting that LONG TRIP requests means a min of a 45 min ride. They no longer have to drive to that ride request only to find out they can't do the trip and have to cancel it. That's a big deal to some people, even if it's not to you or me. In the last two weeks I've been paid twice by Uber for returning lost items, $15 each. And each time the rider also tipped me in the app - and handed me $5 in cash when I returned the items. I hope it doesn't happen often - but when it happened in the past, I was lucky to get even the $5 cash tip.
13. what's a "flip comment"?
Replying to a factual list of what's been going on with a platitude -and no further explanation or comment.

flip·pant
ˈflipənt/
adjective
  1. not showing a serious or respectful attitude.
    "a flippant remark"
15. depreciation is .15/mile which must be deducted from your earnings...
Depreciation is higher than $0.15/mi for some people - and lower for others. It is not a fixed number, but rather an expense that is unique to every driver. But even using your number of $0.15/mi, the tax deduction for business use of a vehicle in 2017 of $0.535/mile exceeds most drivers actual expenses. Of course this is only of value to drivers who have taxable income to offset - but if you're going to discuss expenses, then you also have to discuss the available deduction(s) to taxable income.

Again - thanks for posting your thoughts on Uber's 180 Days of Change - and tolerating my rebuttal and comments to some of them.

Last edited:

JimKE

6. In-person & on your schedule
No more waiting for in-person help. Starting today, you can schedule certain Greenlight Hub appointments ahead of time, so you can get in, meet with an Uber Expert, and get out on-time. Scheduling is easy with just a few taps in the app.
Did they actually do this one? I don't see anything on my app.

Uber315

1. I asked a question and invited you to explain your comment. If you think that's an attack, I'm afraid that's your problem. I'm glad you have now taken the time to explain what you meant by your comment. Most of your responses are thoughtful and considered. Please feel free to add more of your thoughts on the subject of 180 days to change. ( I always thought 180 Days of Change referred to how much profit the average driver makes in six months).

Still, this is the first time in 3 years I have seen Uber make changes that are for the benefit of drivers only, not driven (pardon the pun) by Rider concerns. Too little too late? Maybe. But it is (they are) a positive move in the right direction.

It's also more than a little bizarre that you think you know how much or how little all drivers earn in profits. I've been driving (part-time) for three years - and have never lost money driving Uber in any given year. I doubt I am the only exception to your declaration that "...the real issue which is UNPROFITABLE RATES NO MATTER WHAT MARKET YOU ARE IN!". I'm sorry if you can't make a profit (and am truly sad that so many drivers find themselves in the same situation) - but all that means is that driving Uber at these rates isn't profitable for you. As you said "there are none so blind..."

Uber earnings rates will go up when all drivers who are unprofitable stop driving and Uber needs to bring on enough drivers to meet demand. That's capitalism (and exploitation - but that's another topic altogether). Which makes it seem to me that your 'beef' is with all of the drivers out there who are willing to drive for peanuts - not with Uber.

I'm serious - and I care about rates - and a lot of other things.
As a blanket statement, this has been disproved here on UP.net many, many times. However, if you're driving a newer car that is depreciating a lot with every mile you drive - and you paid an arm & a leg for it - and you're financing - and you're paying both Liability and Collision/Comp... then I agree with you. I don't do any of that. So you're blanket statement about all drivers just doesn't hold true.True! But destination filters are also 'optional'. They only provide fewer requests if the driver chooses to use them. That puts more control on the driver's side of things. (Uber and Lyft can't manufacture more rides that just happen to be going where you want to go).I'm sorry that's your experience. First, my Uber tips - before the in-app option - increased my weekly earnings by as little as 20% and as much as 40% even though they came form only 10% of my riders. Second, in the few weeks the in-app option has been available I (and other drivers here in CLE) have seen a significant increase in tips... and most surprising to me and contrary to what I expected, my cash tips have not fallen by much. (yet?)I agree that it makes an insignificant difference in earnings - and I was just discussing this with some other drivers tonight: What the charge for wait time does is get RIDERS to move their butt out the door to meet their ride. Many don't seem to consider how little the wait time charge is - they just know they are now being charged. That saves me time - and time spent waiting, to me, is lost money.Makes no difference to you, but it makes a big difference to someone who has to pick their kids up from school in an hour (or be at work, etc.) as they can now know that accepting that LONG TRIP requests means a min of a 45 min ride. They no longer have to drive to that ride request only to find out they can't do the trip and have to cancel it. That's a big deal to some people, even if it's not to you or me. In the last two weeks I've been paid twice by Uber for returning lost items, $15 each. And each time the rider also tipped me in the app - and handed me $5 in cash when I returned the items. I hope it doesn't happen often - but when it happened in the past, I was lucky to get even the $5 cash tip.Replying to a factual list of what's been going on with a platitude -and no further explanation or comment.

flip·pant
ˈflipənt/
adjective
  1. not showing a serious or respectful attitude.
    "a flippant remark"
Depreciation is higher than $0.15/mi for some people - and lower for others. It is not a fixed number, but rather an expense that is unique to every driver. But even using your number of $0.15/mi, the tax deduction for business use of a vehicle in 2017 of $0.535/mile exceeds most drivers actual expenses. Of course this is only of value to drivers who have taxable income to offset - but if you're going to discuss expenses, then you also have to discuss the available deduction(s) to taxable income.

Again - thanks for posting your thoughts on Uber's 180 Days of Change - and tolerating my rebuttal and comments to some of them.
Very entertaining post !

Mars Troll Number 4

180 days of change ended in august, which was rolled back.

180 days of change is the perfect progression of "year of the driver"

It looks like there not even trying anymore to improve things. Hopefully it's because of the management change, part of me is suspecting that they STILL don't understand just how bad it is for the drivers in some markets.

JimKE

It's interesting, going back now and reviewing this thread. Initially there was some interest in 180 Days. But as soon as they took back the destination filters (and they also made them a little more restricted than they had been before the "improvement"), boom -- dead -- done.

No interest since that backflip in September.

Is 180 Days essentially over?