• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber’s new rates have drivers crying foul

BurgerTiime

https://amp.businessinsider.com/new-uber-pay-rates-hurt-earnings-drivers-say-2018-12

A new Uber pay structure that prioritizes time over distance as they pertain to driver earnings has some drivers frustrated with the company.

Last week, the ride-hailing giant shifted the payout rates for drivers in about 14 cities, USA Today reported. The changes are designed to provide a more consistent payout, regardless of trip variations, it said, adding that overall earnings shouldn't change.

"We're putting more value on time to help create more consistent and dependable earnings, no matter where your next trip takes you," Uber said on its blog when it announced the changes in October . A spokesperson clarified that the rollout would be gradual, with a handful of cities getting the update last week.

Some drivers weren't so convinced about the payout remaining the same. They took to social media to voice their concerns.

One driver said that he was making about $20 less per night after the changes took effect in Phoenix.

"This is pretty crippling to a full time driver," he said in a Reddit forum for drivers. "I don't know if I can support myself anymore."

Another said the move is effectively "subsidizing lower mile city trips by taking earnings from people that do a lot of long trips."

And while the change is relatively small - Uber has long paid drivers based on actual trip length while charging customers a pre-determined fee that it estimates for the trip - the changes are part of a longer trend that has left some drivers unhappy with the company.

"A lot of these services are getting cheaper and cheaper for the consumers," Harry Campbell, a driver who runs the wildly popular blog, told The Ringer last week . "But I think for the driver's side things have actually probably gotten a lot worse."

Other drivers said they planned to find slower routes to make up for the slashed distance rates. Even if the payouts end up about the same, one said he will likely cancel any ride of more than 50 miles.

To see how the changes might work, Campbell used 144 historical rides from a driver's account over the summer and compared the payouts with what they would be now. Not surprisingly, the payout for trips of more than 10 miles starts to decrease, while many of the shorter trips see an increase.

uberdriverfornow

A new Uber pay structure that prioritizes time over distance as they pertain to driver earnings has some drivers frustrated with the company.
I like how they say this as if there is any truth to the statement. It's like Uber paid them to write this article.

As we now know, the new pay structure simply pays us less for mileage than it did before while raising the minimal amount we made for time as before.

Some drivers weren't so convinced about the payout remaining the same.
All drivers aren't so convinced that the payout amount remains the same. We all know we get paid less now.

BurgerTiime

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Miami is now officially below 70c per mile... soon drivers will be wiring money for the privilege of driving drunks around
There’s no reason to drive. Get out. So many other driver positions for various jobs that pay well and mostly likely not having to use your vehicle. It has become a charity.

melusine3

https://amp.businessinsider.com/new-uber-pay-rates-hurt-earnings-drivers-say-2018-12

Last week, the ride-hailing giant shifted the payout rates for drivers in about 14 cities, USA Today reported. The changes are designed to provide a more consistent payout, regardless of trip variations, it said, adding that overall earnings shouldn't change.

"We're putting more value on time to help create more consistent and dependable earnings, no matter where your next trip takes you," Uber said on its blog when it announced the changes in October . A spokesperson clarified that the rollout would be gradual, with a handful of cities getting the update last week.

Some drivers weren't so convinced about the payout remaining the same. They took to social media to voice their concerns.

One driver said that he was making about $20 less per night after the changes took effect in Phoenix.

"This is pretty crippling to a full time driver," he said in a Reddit forum for drivers. "I don't know if I can support myself anymore."

Another said the move is effectively "subsidizing lower mile city trips by taking earnings from people that do a lot of long trips."

And while the change is relatively small - Uber has long paid drivers based on actual trip length while charging customers a pre-determined fee that it estimates for the trip - the changes are part of a longer trend that has left some drivers unhappy with the company.

"A lot of these services are getting cheaper and cheaper for the consumers," Harry Campbell, a driver who runs the wildly popular blog, told The Ringer last week . "But I think for the driver's side things have actually probably gotten a lot worse."

Other drivers said they planned to find slower routes to make up for the slashed distance rates. Even if the payouts end up about the same, one said he will likely cancel any ride of more than 50 miles.

To see how the changes might work, Campbell used 144 historical rides from a driver's account over the summer and compared the payouts with what they would be now. Not surprisingly, the payout for trips of more than 10 miles starts to decrease, while many of the shorter trips see an increase.
With the economy going so well and so many jobs available, now is the time to vote with your feet and get a job elsewhere. As I've said before, the security guard industry is desperate for workers, will take you if you're drug-free and have a good record. The hours are fairly flexible to work around your main gig. No one should be driving for these companies. Just think about it, when they go belly-up, some of you will be holding THAT bag too.