• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber’s growth slowed as losses widen as they prepare IPO

Cigars

This is a good question I’ll attempt to answer:
The rideshare companies probably know the won’t finish the race to design the ultimate SDC that everybody wants, but they have a unique advantage whereas they can raise tons of quick cash from their ants who churn vehicle-depreciation into earnings used by the tech companies to fund massive amounts of research & development that is “written off” while at the same time piling up a ton of patents that have value and can be sold off to the highest bidder.
Remember the guy who first patented “intermittent” windshield wipers? These unique patents have a lot a value that make people rich.
Something is only "written off" if you have profits.
I made $1 but then spent $1 in R and D, means my profit was $0 and I don't pay taxes on that $1.

I cannot imagine how all these people trying to produce economically viable robot cars expect theirs to be the one.

But the patents make sense to me. Somewhere on Uber's books these are "valued".
Also, somewhere there is a "value" given for their share of ownership in Grab, Yandex, DiDi, Fair.com.
These are Uber's biggest disasters and somehow they came away with an "asset". I would be curious to see how they "value" these "assets".

heynow321

5. I have no clue why Travis (and Lyft, DiDi, etc) are convinced robot cars need to be created by rideshare companies. My understanding is Dara intended to shut it down when he took the job and then Uber execs convinced him to drink the koolaid. These guys believe something that I (and you) do not see, but they have more information than us.
i can answer that for you. they need their sci fi fantasy units to con stupid investors into giving them more money. when you look at the "business" of sdc's, they love to throw around yuge numbers. they say shit like "the market could be worth $10 trillion!". it helps keep up the illusion that boober is some kind of "tech" company when in reality they're just a taxi operation. it's just a con.

Uber's Guber

Something is only "written off" if you have profits. I made $1 but then spent $1 in R and D, means my profit was $0 and I don't pay taxes on that $1.
Henceforth the “write off.” It’s a win situation for Uber: Ant depreciates his car worthiness and gives it to Uber, Uber takes that money and burns it up as fast as possible, writing off the R&D while at the same time padding their patents.

uberdriverfornow

“We had another strong quarter for a business of our size and global scope,” said Chief Financial Officer Nelson Chai. “As we look ahead to an IPO and beyond, we are investing in future growth across our platform, including in food, freight, electric bikes and scooters, and high-potential markets in India and the Middle East where we continue to solidify our leadership position.”
That's basically all they care about, getting to that IPO so they have plenty of money to blow. It's going to be a major wake up call when they realize nobody wants their stock.

Not sure I ever seen another company in history looking forward to an IPO after years of major losses with no profit in sight.

HotUberMess

If you’re losing $1.33 for every $1 you earn then maybe expanding into new markets isn’t your best practice.. all you’re going to do is raise your quarterly loss amount and burn faster through that reserve cash.

Last edited:

Tarvus

5. I have no clue why Travis (and Lyft, DiDi, etc) are convinced robot cars need to be created by rideshare companies. My understanding is Dara intended to shut it down when he took the job and then Uber execs convinced him to drink the koolaid. These guys believe something that I (and you) do not see, but they have more information than us.

Consider this:
Uber sells each individual self-driving car to a private investor in return for some contracted arrangement on revenue sharing from said vehicle when Uber puts it into service. Uber agrees to maintain, service and fuel each vehicle over its useful life.

Uber profits from this how?
1. From the markup on the original sale of the vehicle (like a car dealership)
2. From the fuel sales (like a gas station)at an Uber approved station
3. From tire sales, brake jobs, oil changes, and various repairs (like a mechanic shop) at an Uber approved shop
4. From 24X7 use (as opposed to safety mandated driver time restraints)
5. From the actual fares generated (like they do now)
6. From having no capital investment cost itself in the SDC. There would not even be a capital investment cost associated with fuel stations or service centers assuming these would be contractually arranged between Uber and various currently existing national companies.

I can see where this could be a good deal from Uber's point of view, but perhaps not so good from a Uber car buyer's point of view.

luckytown

sdc's are not a thing. they will not be a thing. stop trying to make them a thing. they especially won't be a thing coming from boober.
I can see SDC maybe in congested markets like NYC.....but this will not work in markets where people actually own cars....people are not ready to give up car ownership...SDC are way way into the future....this will only work when the government makes car ownership illegal...you cant have both private cars and SDC sharing the road...

Tarvus

sdc's are not a thing. they will not be a thing. stop trying to make them a thing. they especially won't be a thing coming from boober.
Not trying to make them "a thing". I was merely pointing out motives as to why Uber seems to be pursuing the idea.

Lawlet91

I can see SDC maybe in congested markets like NYC.....but this will not work in markets where people actually own cars....people are not ready to give up car ownership...SDC are way way into the future....this will only work when the government makes car ownership illegal...you cant have both private cars and SDC sharing the road...
Sdc in a congested city like NYC is where they are the most impossible to operate, too many moving parts and random actions and pedestrians. The only place sdc might work is in sparsely populated areas and roads so they have less likelihood to need to react to situations that arise

luckytown

Sdc in a congested city like NYC is where they are the most impossible to operate, too many moving parts and random actions and pedestrians. The only place sdc might work is in sparsely populated areas and roads so they have less likelihood to need to react to situations that arise
NYC is where SDC make sence.....no one in the city owns cars and mass transportation is common use....when the city makes car ownership illegal and gets rid of private cars the sdc will cover the slack.....NYC is already thinking of charging more fees to travel below 92Nd street to deter people from driving thier own cars....they want mass transportation....subways and SDC that pool pax...in the rural areas no will order SDC to go fishing and hunting and shoping....they will drive thier big 4x4's and park where ever they want.......

Lawlet91

That’s the conundrum right there because if “no one in the city owns cars” and it already is a chaotic mess, what can sdcs add of value. All they will do is clog up already congested streets because they can’t figure out where they can safely move to. If sdcs came to the Orlando market you would see a crash a week on the news about them and were not even close to as congested as New York or Los Angeles.

heynow321

Same thing the blacksmith declared while shoeing a horse as the horseless carriage puttered on down the dirt road.
I tell you what kiddo, show us a video of a SDC entering a freeway, driving on said freeway, exiting onto another freeway, then exiting onto city streets. I'll give you the benefit of all perfect weather. We're all eagerly waiting.