• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber’s first college partnership in Philly is with La Salle

Nitedriver

https://billypenn.com/2017/02/22/ubers-first-college-partnership-in-philly-is-with-la-salle/

Students can get $1.99 flat fares to and from the Olney SEPTA station… for a limited time only.

Uber announced today that it’s partnering with La Salle University to offer discounted rates and a special app integration for students, and it could be just the first of similar college partnerships in Philly for the ridesharing giant.

Uber said today that from now through March 7, La Salle students (undergrads and graduates) will have access to $1.99 uberPOOL flat fares to and from the Olney SEPTA station along the Broad Street Line. For those keeping track at home, that’s a $1.99 flat fare to go less than a mile.

“La Salle has shown the most enthusiasm so far in working with Uber,” an Uber spokesman said in an email, “and so we were able to quickly form this partnership.”

La Salle spokeswoman Alyssa Porambo said beyond March 7, the partnership will continue to do three things:

• Establish a dedicated pickup and drop-off location at the corner of Penn Boulevard and Chew Avenue.
  • Push a custom app integration that makes pickup easier for students.
  • Offer students using Uber for the first time a $15 credit for their first ride
While the partnership impacts just La Salle’s 4,000 students, it signals that other universities in Philadelphia could strike similar deals with ridesharing companies similar to how some universities work with public transportation authorities.

An Uber spokesperson said the school is in fact seeking partnerships with other schools, but there are “no other announcements to make at this time.”

MiddleClassedOut

Thanks for posting...I wrote to the dean mentioned in the article and actually got a reply as I am a La Salle graduate student. She was not sympathetic and said they did "an extensive vetting process" which probably means Uber is donating to the business school. I may try to drum up a little interest if I can find some progressive organizations on campus to protest this...

here's what I wrote to the dean:

Dear Dean McDonald,

I am a La Salle graduate student and part-time Lyft driver. I viewed the news that La Salle is going to be parterning with Uber with some dismay, as I considered La Salle to be a progressive institution. As I have done rideshare for some time, I can comment with experience that Uber is one of the most exploitative companies ever to be allowed to operate in the United States as a transportation company. While students will doubtless benefit from these cheap UberPool fares, please understand that Uber passes on significant amounts of the discount from those Pool rides onto drivers, and pockets the rest of the money. For instance, a drivers may pick up up to 4 passengers going to a single destination, and be paid for less than one of the passengers' fares. That is the rule for all Uber Pool rides - in rare cases rides may "chain" and work out for the driver for a longer fare, but mostly the algorithms profit the company, not the driver. Lyft Line is significantly better for both passengers and drivers as it does not pass the entire discount onto the driver, and usually I find their routing is more efficient and has better ETAs for all passengers.

How does Uber convince drivers to work for so little? From what I understand from Internet forums, a significant number of drivers are on extremely unfair UberXchange leases, where they pay highly inflated lease prices for vehicles to driver for Uber. Drivers can pay the lease out of pocket, but if they want the free maintenance and unlimited miles (highly necessary for rideshare), they MUST pay for the lease out of their Uber earnings, effectively making them indentured servants. With today's low rates, that can mean up to 24 hours of driving just to pay for the lease (usually over $200/week.) Uber is aggressively targeting the subprime market, people with bad credit and immigrants with these leases.

Finally, you should understand that Uber's "upfront pricing" is a scam. As this driver notes in this thread on an Internet forum, what Uber charges passengers and what drivers see at the end of the ride is often significantly different, with Uber pocketing the difference (https://uberpeople.net/threads/interesting-uber-pricing.143379/#post-2139839). There are many reports of this on this website for drivers, including passengers being charged inflated surge prices and drivers receiving only normal rates. Lyft has recently begun doing the same thing with upfront pricing, so I advise passengers taking longer trips to remove their destinations from the app and allow the fare to be set by the GPS meter, just as in a regular taxi. Uber does not give passengers this option - the fare is always set by their computers, not the actual time and distance traveled!

Thank you for reading this and I hope you reconsider the partnership.

Sincerely,

Chris Binkley

PCC Master's student

Gees2016

Thanks for posting...I wrote to the dean mentioned in the article and actually got a reply as I am a La Salle graduate student. She was not sympathetic and said they did "an extensive vetting process" which probably means Uber is donating to the business school. I may try to drum up a little interest if I can find some progressive organizations on campus to protest this...

here's what I wrote to the dean:

Dear Dean McDonald,

I am a La Salle graduate student and part-time Lyft driver. I viewed the news that La Salle is going to be parterning with Uber with some dismay, as I considered La Salle to be a progressive institution. As I have done rideshare for some time, I can comment with experience that Uber is one of the most exploitative companies ever to be allowed to operate in the United States as a transportation company. While students will doubtless benefit from these cheap UberPool fares, please understand that Uber passes on significant amounts of the discount from those Pool rides onto drivers, and pockets the rest of the money. For instance, a drivers may pick up up to 4 passengers going to a single destination, and be paid for less than one of the passengers' fares. That is the rule for all Uber Pool rides - in rare cases rides may "chain" and work out for the driver for a longer fare, but mostly the algorithms profit the company, not the driver. Lyft Line is significantly better for both passengers and drivers as it does not pass the entire discount onto the driver, and usually I find their routing is more efficient and has better ETAs for all passengers.

How does Uber convince drivers to work for so little? From what I understand from Internet forums, a significant number of drivers are on extremely unfair UberXchange leases, where they pay highly inflated lease prices for vehicles to driver for Uber. Drivers can pay the lease out of pocket, but if they want the free maintenance and unlimited miles (highly necessary for rideshare), they MUST pay for the lease out of their Uber earnings, effectively making them indentured servants. With today's low rates, that can mean up to 24 hours of driving just to pay for the lease (usually over $200/week.) Uber is aggressively targeting the subprime market, people with bad credit and immigrants with these leases.

Finally, you should understand that Uber's "upfront pricing" is a scam. As this driver notes in this thread on an Internet forum, what Uber charges passengers and what drivers see at the end of the ride is often significantly different, with Uber pocketing the difference (https://uberpeople.net/threads/interesting-uber-pricing.143379/#post-2139839). There are many reports of this on this website for drivers, including passengers being charged inflated surge prices and drivers receiving only normal rates. Lyft has recently begun doing the same thing with upfront pricing, so I advise passengers taking longer trips to remove their destinations from the app and allow the fare to be set by the GPS meter, just as in a regular taxi. Uber does not give passengers this option - the fare is always set by their computers, not the actual time and distance traveled!

Thank you for reading this and I hope you reconsider the partnership.

Sincerely,

Chris Binkley

PCC Master's student
Good stuff man

I agree with you about Lyft Line......i remember tou saying that before. UberPool is the worst.....you should send that letter to one of the news channels.....they will investigate.

anteetr

Any non-matched UberPool trips I've been making like $6 for. It's those add-on trips I get next to $1 for.

Is it not the same with Line?
You can't tell with line because they don't separate the riders. They show you what you got paid to cart the whole line in total. Uber breaks it up by what you got paid for each rider.

Line is the same scam, Lyft just presents it better.

bobby747

nice reply middle class. great info nt rider as always but wow things are bad enough...posted this is like salt in the wound.....partnerships are good for ride shares. but in my 55 yrs on earth soon. 35 yrs ago i never rode for $1.99 in a private car.i guess my car wont be near that college anytime soon.
nt rider i hope your is....
just like penn last year this shit is happening daily with uber. penn was $2 . now its not.
THIS IS A GREAT REASON FOR ALL TO DRIVE TAXI'S OR GET OUT OF this companys business, as they really dont give a shit about riders. pool to phl from CC $7 ...CAB $30 COME ON

MiddleClassedOut

Line is marginally better because there's still a minimum gross fare of $4.75 paid to the driver, even if you pick up two people going to the exact same place. From what I have seen of your posts pool is much worse, as they don't have a minimum fare paid to the driver, but you guys need to figure this out, I got off Uber a long time ago...

Actually if you could post your really bad UberPools, I am trying to contact some groups...

bobby747

i dont do pools only if giant surge and take 1 pax only. pool is a drivers out of business model imho.....its bus money. not in my 2015 car....driverless cars can do all pools. and they can rate the driverless car. i wonder if that car will ever get deactivated

anteetr

Line is marginally better because there's still a minimum gross fare of $4.75 paid to the driver, even if you pick up two people going to the exact same place. From what I have seen of your posts pool is much worse, as they don't have a minimum fare paid to the driver, but you guys need to figure this out, I got off Uber a long time ago...

Actually if you could post your really bad UberPools, I am trying to contact some groups...
Minimum fare for a pool ride is also $4.75, linked or not. You do not get $4.75 per pax on either platform.