U/L decals: do you display them? Why or why not?

backcountryrez

After having a bunch of incidents where undergrad and/or intoxicated pedestrians tend to enter my car because these people seem to have "tunnel vision" at night and just go into the first U/L car they see, I've stopped using their decals.

Do you use their decals? Why or why not?

Cableguynoe

I stopped using them after the first month or so.
My main reason for stopping was because my main Uber vehicle at the time was the vehicle my wife drives to work M-F. So I got tired of taking those things off then on again.

But I prefer it this way.

In front of a house, no problem.
If I'm pulling up to a street and I see who I think is probably my pax, I usually wave, and they see me and come my way.

90% of pax that get into my car dont even look for it and dont notice it's not there.

Once in a while someone does look for it. I'll see them trying to verify the car on their phone. I'll usually just yell their name and that puts them at ease.
If they ask, I simply say that I requested them and Uber/Lyft still hasnt sent them to me.

Coachman

I've done 1,800+ rides and not one pax has asked about decals. They're usually looking at the license plate to verify the vehicle.

Tihstae

I use them because they are required by law in California and the fine is $1000 to not have them.

That being said, If you don't leave them on all the time, they are awful because after a month or two, they won't stick anymore. I ended up purchasing clear static vinyl and sticking them to that which then goes on and off the windows easily.

Kevin Melendez

I put mine with my lax permit laminated it throw on the dash when going to LAX or picking up from a crowed bar or need to drop off at an event otherwise it stays off.

I remmeber people where throwing fits about the back decal when that rule went into effect tuning there tint I still worry a bit when I go to lax with only the front decal on

PickEmUp

After having a bunch of incidents where undergrad and/or intoxicated pedestrians tend to enter my car because these people seem to have "tunnel vision" at night and just go into the first U/L car they see, I've stopped using their decals.

I have done over 3,000 rides and never been asked about decals. Pax have my name, photo of my car with color, license plate number and photo of me. If they can't figure it out, they are probably too dumb or drink to operate a smart phone and schedule a ride.

ShinyAndChrome

No. They would be way too much of a hassle to take on and off, and far too embarrassing to leave on all the time. They are both happily in their envelope. Never caused a problem at all.

steveK2016

I've put the decal on just a handful of times and that was because I got a rematch at the airport and its required for pickup.

TheWanderer

In sf that uber sticker is a target.
I used to live in another part of sf, and the parking enforcement would target me.
For example, while I had my decals on, I was 10 minutes over the parking time, which starts at 7 am, my car got ticketed at 7:05am. I would typically start driving at 7 so there was no issue, but this happened multiple times and I was the only car on the whole block that got ticketed.
Also I live in an area where a lot of ubers pick up and I enjoy people getting in my car thinking I am their uber because I fake get upset at them and tell them off, saying stuff about do you not see the decals, do you not pay attention the the license plate on the app, etc. A lot of people in sf don't look at the license plate.

Mikedamirault

I have one, just one, on my windshield on the passenger side (where we are supposed to have it)

My only reason for having it is that it's a requirement at the airport, you can get fined for not having it displayed

I keep mine up as it's a hassle to take it down and put it back up when needed, I have had enough hassle at the airport to risk forgetting it

TheWanderer

I have one, just one, on my windshield on the passenger side (where we are supposed to have it)

My only reason for having it is that it's a requirement at the airport, you can get fined for not having it displayed

I keep mine up as it's a hassle to take it down and put it back up when needed, I have had enough hassle at the airport to risk forgetting it
Same.
I also keep them up whenever I do personal runs to the airport and I get my friends to go to arrivals, which uber and lyft are not suppose to pick up there, and they give me shit Every time but I know they can't do anything about it. I just do it to screw with them lol.

Another Uber Driver

I display at least one of them, because if you do not do so here, in two of the three states, you will receive a summons. In one of them, if you get the wrong po-po with a fly up his nose, you will have your car impounded.

If I am driving the cab, I have the Uber trade dress on the dashboard. This allows people who summon Uber Taxi to an address where there are many cabs to distinguish the Uber Taxi from the others. If a street hail sees it and asks about it, I tell him that he can pay with Uber Taxi. If a customer asks for an e-Mailed receipt, I tell them that they must do an Uber Taxi request and show them the trade dress so that they will know that they are in an Uber Taxi. Of course, if Uber Taxi is not available in your market...........................................

Mikedamirault

Like this idea a lot Tihstae but how do you keep it from becoming a giant furball when it is not being used?
I think he already covered that
clear static vinyl
You know those static cling things that people use to decorate their windows on holidays? Or what dealerships or car service stations use to stick on your windshield to tell you when your next oil change is due? That is what he is talking about, they don't have any adhesive on them, just as the name suggests, it clings to glass using static (the same static you get when you rub your bare feet on carpet, or rub a balloon on your head), this is why it peels off so easily, never leaves any residue and never loses its ability to adhere to glass and possibly some metals, it can't, for example, adhere to plastic though (at least not matte plastic)

As such, static vinyl doesn't attract fuzz, fur, dust, etc. as adhesives do, well, at least that can't be simply wiped off

M.209

I'm undercover driver, except LAX (cops are very strict there, understand them)

Never had a client who could not find me.

Several reasons :
- I dont wanna be a free "walking advertisement"
- blocking the view.

Watch this:

Last edited:
I don't use mine unless I'm taking a rider somewhere that charges for parking. I don't need or want everyone knowing what I do.