Inshur

Tyres

D1991

I know there are other posts regarding tyres but is it worth to spend extra 100 £ for two tyres to get Michelin instead of Avon or Nokian etc I usually put brand new budget tyres about 50£ and never had any issue but winter coming soon and all the websites saying michelins stoped around 18 metres on the wet compared to budget tyres

Dov

In my experience Michelin wear well and can work out more economical in the long run
As well as improved safety
Will you be putting them on the front or back?
Front or rear wheel drive car?

Emmbee

Why do you normally need to replace tyres? If you're a kerb basher get budgets, if you wear the tread to the minimum then the premium of a decent brand somewhat pays for itself imo.

Shane Sheikh

Since your PH driver there probably won't be a point where you'll drive like a racecar driver (even though some drivers think they are hint: Addison Lee drivers - they drive so reckless!)

So there really isn't a point buying premium brand tyres - more cost. However you need to be carefull when buying budgets some of them are very 5h1t! Example I have accelera which I really regret because I normally get jinyu which are decent for budgets but my tyre shop didn't have them in stock at the time.

As long as you are a good driver and can anticipate good braking etc. Budgets are enough.
My recommendation for budgets are - jinyu, nangkang, Avon. These are the only ones I've tried and will last you 30k if looked after.

Ebay or lovetyres have good prices.

swider

You should never skip on one, if not the most important, part of the safety feature on your car. It is a false economy.
You can buy premium tires for a little more then budget which will last you much longer and be a lot more effective.

I was running on goodyears efficentgrip for years without any problems, now i have bridgestone ecopia ep150, also superb tire.
Both are around £50 - 55 fitted for 195/65/15.

Fostel

I always used Oponeo and would recommend them.
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/
Good range of rubber and prices. Helpful comments. They can deliver to the garage of your choice.
Originally I had premium tyres installed:
Dunlop SP Sport Fastresponse https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/dunlop-sp-sport-fastresponse-225-45-r17-91-w-mfs-ao#156270587
More expensive but long lasting.
Then dealership switched to budget supplier:
Nexen N8000 https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nexen-n8000-225-45-r17-94-w-xl#149852479
This are OK for the price but noticeable more noise. Softer side-walls. Not going to purchase those any more.

My favourite winter rubber are Finnish, NOKIAN WR D3
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-wr-d3-225-45-r17-91-h#155690339
and WR D4 https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-wr-d4-225-45-r17-94-h-xl#153744413.
Next Summer tyres NOKIAN Line https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-line-225-45-r17-94-w-xl#156281020
or zLine
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/nokian-zline-225-45-r17-94-y-xl#156250735

D1991

I have had Michelin many times when I've bought cars and to be fair I just drove a auris with budget tyres then I drove mine used michelins and the difference is night and day I knew there was a difference but to compare straight after each other is a real eye opener

Cabbie2B

I know there are other posts regarding tyres but is it worth to spend extra 100 £ for two tyres to get Michelin instead of Avon or Nokian etc I usually put brand new budget tyres about 50£ and never had any issue but winter coming soon and all the websites saying michelins stoped around 18 metres on the wet compared to budget tyres
Avon have soft compound so not much mileage out of them.
I had then once and never again.

Mate 20 metres difference between good and bad tyre on wet surface I think it's worth 100£ extra
What's the speed in London that stopping distance will matter?

I have Rapid, Chinese tyres and do around 40к miles.
Just drive slow, keep distance and no issues.

Tyre size u r talking about is 245/45/17 if u have diamond cut rims?!?

And branded, they don't come cheap.

tohunt4me

The Right tires will
1.) improve fuel economy
2.) improve traction, handleing, safety.
3.)Handle speed, curves and Fully loaded vehicles operating with passengers & luggage.
4.) Reduce road noise.

Strutts and suspension are also important for braking and handleing.

Its Not just your life riding on your tires.
Its your family and passengers also.

In my experience Michelin wear well and can work out more economical in the long run
As well as improved safety
Will you be putting them on the front or back?
Front or rear wheel drive car?
I find Pirelli equal to Michelin yet at substantial financial discount to Michelin.

Only thing i find is the higher carbon fiber content of " Green" fuel efficient and long wear warranty tires, makes them more prone to spin on rapid acceleration from a stop.

uberexec

Hi D1991,

I know you like Michelin tyre quite a lot. Can you suggest where is the best place to get the Michelin lowest prices??

Thanks

D1991

Hi D1991,

I know you like Michelin tyre quite a lot. Can you suggest where is the best place to get the Michelin lowest prices??

Thanks
Kwik fit was having a promo mate was 15£ cheaper then anywhere else

I'm selling e class mate and just keeping one car so it's worth it for me and you have probably never seen anyone die in a road accident I have so you keep buying cheap ones mate and just pray that it won't happen to you because u didn't want to spend another 100£
I saw a car on the m25 hit back of the lorry car skidded most likely shit tyres and was very rainy

ChampionADI

I look at the fuel consumption ratings & the braking in the wet ratings (both A-G, A being the best)

I just ordered a 215/50/17 tyre from ASDA for £51.89 with free local fitting.

The fuel consumption rating is C and braking in the wet rating is B

D1991

IMG_5110.PNG
I look at the fuel consumption ratings & the braking in the wet ratings (both A-G, A being the best)

I just ordered a 215/50/17 tyre from ASDA for £51.89 with free local fitting.

The fuel consumption rating is C and braking in the wet rating is B
Yeah I always tell people if u buy a budget tyre at least buy a good budget tyre I don't know what brand u bought but you do know most budget tyres might have good how rating for braking and fuel consumption but their is another side to the story because you do minivan most likely there will be days where you will carry 5 people and many bags you need to make sure the tyres have got a high load rating mine is w91 wich means 600 kg I think up to speeds of 168 mph my car can't even do 110 lol and most budget tyres have the lowest

ChampionADI

View attachment 157742
Yeah I always tell people if u buy a budget tyre at least buy a good budget tyre I don't know what brand u bought but you do know most budget tyres might have good how rating for braking and fuel consumption but their is another side to the story because you do minivan most likely there will be days where you will carry 5 people and many bags you need to make sure the tyres have got a high load rating mine is w91 wich means 600 kg I think up to speeds of 168 mph my car can't even do 110 lol and most budget tyres have the lowest

Yes, I've got W95's on the car, the original spec is V91

I've found when looking for tyres, rather than put the Car Reg No in the website, it's better to put the tyre size and leave the speed & load ratings as Any

UberLuxbod

As mentioned by Fostel.

Oponeo have very good prices.

My car had Acceleras PHI tyres put on it by the dealer.

I thought they were reasonable, but they wore unevenly and got noisy as they wore.

When I changed to Hankook i realised how crap the Acceleras actually were, they still had 3/4mm on them in places

The Hankooks never wore unevenly.

Costco are, as mentioned, a good place for Michelins even if the deals are not as good as they once where.

I tend to avoid Chinese tyres to be honest but Korean tyres are very good, Nexen, Hankook etc. Nexen are now fitted as OE tyres to some new Kia's replacing the Hankooks previously fitted. Nankang are good aswell.

Money no object I fit Michelin. Or Goodyear and Dunlop.

I have had uneven wear problems with Continentals on a Clio and they wore out very quickly. Have had Falkens on a Clio aswell and they seem decent enough.

Look at large fleets like Addison Lee or Emergency Services. You will find they use premium tyres, somebody has done the sums regarding tyre life, puncture resistance and tyre performance.

AddLee use Michelin as do the LAS, the LAS used to use Goodyear and the Met use a mixture of Goodyear and Michelin (or they used to a few years ago)

I personally don't economise on tyres and brakes. Just not worth it, pulling up in an emergency 10ft further down the road is the difference between a collision and an near miss.

When you consider how good Nexens are these days I don't see the point in chasing a couple of extra pounds saving per tyre any more.

The more fatal collisions you see the more you consider getting the best tyres possible.

A couple of feet can be the difference between a bruised shoulder and hip and ending up in a wheelchair for a pedestrian.

It is not just the couple of feet extra stopping distance, it's the extra speed the vehicle will have.

A decent set of tyres could mean you have a collision at 10mph instead of 20mph, in the grand scheme of things you might think that negligible. Unless it was your head getting hit by an A Pillar 10mph faster.

Cabbie2B

The more fatal collisions you see the more you consider getting the best tyres possible.

A couple of feet can be the difference between a bruised shoulder and hip and ending up in a wheelchair for a pedestrian.

It is not just the couple of feet extra stopping distance, it's the extra speed the vehicle will have.

A decent set of tyres could mean you have a collision at 10mph instead of 20mph, in the grand scheme of things you might think that negligible. Unless it was your head getting hit by an A Pillar 10mph faster.

No disagreement there.

At what speed tyres r tested????

At what speed u drive in London???

I doubt that stopping distance would matter at 3-5mph at Embakment.

Reason why accidents happen are not just tyres, it's drivers rushing to pick up pax.

So if you know you have budget tyres, don't drive like Hamilton.

I had Acceleras and never again.
Found Rapid tyres just right for me. High mileage, low noise, £120 for a pair fitted.

I also used Tigar and Riken and was happy with them. They r Michelin budget tyres.