Typical pool pax

Andy3131

This is what goes through the mind of a pool pax:

Pax #1 Melissa: let's get an Uber x for the price of Uber pool. I am just beside the highway entrance and my destination is beside a highway exit. I am in a hurry but I know, there won't be any pickups as usual. Going from Queen/Carlaw to Bloor and Islington.

Pax #2 John: Let's order an Uber pool to save some money, taps on the pool option. What? My Uber is on the highway with another pax in it and it will take 9 minutes to pick me up? Screw him, I'm cancelling and trying another pool.

Pax #3 Matthew: Let's take a pool, orders it, get's the car with first pax in it allready, gets dropped off 4 blocks away. Gives 3 stars because he had to wait 10 minutes for the pickup.

Meanwhile, Melissa is pissed off...we had to get out of the highway to give Matthew a ride for 4 blocks? Now we are at Yonge/Bloor, will need to continue our way on Bloor which will take way longer than the Gardner.

At Bloor and Bathurst, another pickup: Jessica, pax #4 is going to Davenport and Dufferin. She had to wait 10 minutes for the pick up and is pissed off as well. After dropping off Jessica, we make 2 other pickups and dropoffs.

Finally, Melissa gets to her destination in 50 minutes instead of the usual 15 minutes taking the Gardner. She is pissed off as she is late at work and her boss gives her shit and tells her next time she is late, she is fired. When she finishes work and calls her Uber pool to take her home, the app reminds her to rate her ride from the previous trip. Without hesitating, she hits the one star option remembering it took her almost an hour to get to work. A few minutes later, spotting his Uber Partner app seating in the washroom, the driver asks himself what he did wrong for his rating dropping from 4.84 to 4.82 in a few minutes.

This is a fictionnal story but explains why Uber pool passengers shouldn't be able to rate their driver on pool.

Zoplay

This is what goes through the mind of a pool pax:

Pax #1 Melissa: let's get an Uber x for the price of Uber pool. I am just beside the highway entrance and my destination is beside a highway exit. I am in a hurry but I know, there won't be any pickups as usual. Going from Queen/Carlaw to Bloor and Islington.

Pax #2 John: Let's order an Uber pool to save some money, taps on the pool option. What? My Uber is on the highway with another pax in it and it will take 9 minutes to pick me up? Screw him, I'm cancelling and trying another pool.

Pax #3 Matthew: Let's take a pool, orders it, get's the car with first pax in it allready, gets dropped off 4 blocks away. Gives 3 stars because he had to wait 10 minutes for the pickup.

Meanwhile, Melissa is pissed off...we had to get out of the highway to give Matthew a ride for 4 blocks? Now we are at Yonge/Bloor, will need to continue our way on Bloor which will take way longer than the Gardner.

At Bloor and Bathurst, another pickup: Jessica, pax #4 is going to Davenport and Dufferin. She had to wait 10 minutes for the pick up and is pissed off as well. After dropping off Jessica, we make 2 other pickups and dropoffs.

Finally, Melissa gets to her destination in 50 minutes instead of the usual 15 minutes taking the Gardner. She is pissed off as she is late at work and her boss gives her shit and tells her next time she is late, she is fired. When she finishes work and calls her Uber pool to take her home, the app reminds her to rate her ride from the previous trip. Without hesitating, she hits the one star option remembering it took her almost an hour to get to work. A few minutes later, spotting his Uber Partner app seating in the washroom, the driver asks himself what he did wrong for his rating dropping from 4.84 to 4.82 in a few minutes.

This is a fictionnal story but explains why Uber pool passengers shouldn't be able to rate their driver on pool.
You are right..Nowadays the drivers are not taking care of their passengers. This story clearly explains it to me.Every driver needs to be punctual in dropping their passengers in the destination at the right time.

Gill002

Why do you think I don't do pool, that scenario is absolutely correct. I've had people tell me how they spent 30 minutes instead of 6-7

To those people I say that if you value your money more than your time, you need to re evaluate your priorities

biozon

This is absolutely true.

Drivers do not need Pool. Riders do not need Pool, because the price difference is totally negligible, but the inconvenience and travel time is way worse!

The only party that needs Pool is Uber, for two reasons - they get more money out of it, and they get more publicity (oh, look, we are moving the city and providing car share!)

Livan

I've never seen this happen to me... I don't accept Pool anymore. The few times I did it, only had one pax. But I still have the occasional a**hole that rates bad for no apparent reason.

Exclusif

Great story Andy!

You forgot to mention that by taking POOL Melissa saved $5.76 vs going with an UberX ride.

The trip took an extra 35 minutes for her.... so Melissa's time has a value that matches an UBER driver's hourly rate. :wink:
Not only did she save $5.76, she could have also lost 1hr of pay because she was late and as a bonus got a final warning!

biozon

You forgot to mention that by taking POOL Melissa saved $5.76 vs going with an UberX ride.
Totally! I mean, I know economy is not great these days, but are you really that desperate for money you would want to save $5 for a trip that could have taken 10 minutes instead of 50? I just don't get it.

I took Pool as a rider two times in my life - one time to test out what it is as a rider, another time to verify my experience. Both times the ride took a while (but I was not in a rush, so no complaints there), and I tipped $5, so the driver was compensated accordingly. But other than that I cannot imagine a scenario in my life I would want to take Pool as a rider.

Why are people doing it? That's a mystery to me.

Santa

You are right..Nowadays the drivers are not taking care of their passengers. This story clearly explains it to me.Every driver needs to be punctual in dropping their passengers in the destination at the right time.
What the bloody hell. I'd like to tell you to Go jump off a building please, but the moderators might not like it. So I'm not going to tell you.

Token44

Why are people doing it? That's a mystery to me.
It comes down to good marketing by UBER and "perceived savings".

The fact of the matter is perception is reality for these people.
They actually believe they are saving money.
There's no arguing, and logic is irrelevant at the point where an individual is convinced of something.

Zoplay

What the bloody hell. I'd like to tell you to Go jump off a building please, but the moderators might not like it. So I'm not going to tell you.
Hello, what's the matter? And why you are started scolding me..Did i said anything wrong.

Harry70

Riders feedback ;Pool rocks with Riders: they get the worst service possible still they r happy ; they want to do poo again and again ; driver frustration graph and riders persistent going in opposite directions : so much divergence unbelievable: hope will find some middle ground some where but dont see any light at the end of the tunnel yet

Harry70

Middle ground? What middle ground? There is none. I don't mind competing with taxi drivers but I draw the line at competing with the TTC.
I don't do pool my self but I do talk to riders a lot about it; most of them are happy and even say cars like Mercedes and bmw are doing pool: Riders see lot of value in it: they don't care drivers are losing money or not; they don't even know that it's a forced labour which is way lower than minimum wage; still in my opinion their should be different platform for uber pool and only designated driver with economical small old cars should be doing this rather than its being forced on everyone: before ordering pool riders will know that quality of cars and lower rated drivers and the poor service : they should not have quality cars , drivers , service as they are not paying for it

Last edited: