• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Tyler Texas

Same here. First weekend was great. But now I'm already frustrated with this town. WAYYYYY TOO MANY DRIVERS for a town this small. There are days now will I will wait 6-8 hours for my first ride. And even if you do. The town is so small that most of the fares are the minimum fares. Because people only want a ride a few miles away. So it really frustrates me when I accept a fare 10 minutes away. Only to take them 5 mins away from them. Only to get 3.75 after Uber takes their cut. Not like the money I was making the couple times I drove in Dallas where the rides are substantially longer. And even when you take the time to drive halfway across town to pick these people up and spend 20-30 mins on one ride that gets you $3.75. They don't even tip. Think I'm already about to give up out here. Not worth the wear and tear to make $20 a day.

Jasonlowe2wd

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea i think its going to take a while to really take off here. To many drivers not enough riders. Hopefully it will at least even out at some point.

A lot of people still don't know about it or are used to the terrible slow service from the cab company. Smith County has the 5th highest DWI rate in the country per capita. This should cut down on that now that people have a different option. Didn't help their opinion of it last night when on the second weekend out here there was a system wide crash right at midnight when the bars closed out here. So the riders that used uber to get to the bars got stranded there

I found out the issue out here. The town is FLOODED with drivers from Dallas and Shreveport. I don't know why they came all the way out here. They left a huge market to come to this tiny market. Makes it harder for local drivers to actually make money. I sure are hell wouldn't leave Dallas to come here. Everytime I drive out there. I make as much in 2-3 hours as I have been making in a whole day out here.

I would like to share my thoughts. I started as a Uber driver this past weekend, and did okay. I'm driving to make extra money for a couple of things I want for my computer, so the current rates I'm getting ($50 a night on Friday/Saturday nights, I work the bars essentially) are decent and will allow me to get my stuff in short order. That being said, I'm actually considering going to Dallas this weekend to drive during the UT/OU game on Saturday if my wife will give her blessing.

And Jason, the answer to the people leaving Dallas and Shreveport for Tyler is simple. You go where the money is.

Jasonlowe2wd

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the money here in tyler? I did well the first weekend. This weekend looked like drivers just waited around all night for very little riders.

Last edited:
Is the money here in tyler? I did well the first weekend. This weekend looked like drivers just waited around all night for very little riders.
I averaged out to around 1-2 riders an hour this past weekend. Of course Friday night, I didn't know that you had to drive around to get a fare, so I wasted an hour essentially sitting at the square downtown. I'm very surprised as well that with the fair in town last weekend, there wasn't a upswing in fares. However, I will be working in Tyler on Friday only this week and heading to Ft. Worth on Saturday to work a couple spots I've become aware of through some contacts (I wanted to work the UT/OU game in Dallas, but that'll happen in the new year due to the costs associated with working there). I would have been sitting at home bored out of my mind otherwise on Friday and Saturday, and this will allow me to expand out and learn more tricks of the trade w/Uber.

T Money

Same here. First weekend was great. But now I'm already frustrated with this town. WAYYYYY TOO MANY DRIVERS for a town this small. There are days now will I will wait 6-8 hours for my first ride. And even if you do. The town is so small that most of the fares are the minimum fares. Because people only want a ride a few miles away. So it really frustrates me when I accept a fare 10 minutes away. Only to take them 5 mins away from them. Only to get 3.75 after Uber takes their cut. Not like the money I was making the couple times I drove in Dallas where the rides are substantially longer. And even when you take the time to drive halfway across town to pick these people up and spend 20-30 mins on one ride that gets you $3.75. They don't even tip. Think I'm already about to give up out here. Not worth the wear and tear to make $20 a day.
Well, has it gotten any better. Just moved here from Louisiana and work for Waitr delivery. Thinking about doing Uber part time. Any changes since this time last year?

Well, has it gotten any better. Just moved here from Louisiana and work for Waitr delivery. Thinking about doing Uber part time. Any changes since this time last year?
I do not know, I posted a response a couple weeks ago in the Tyler subforum and still have had no replies to it. For the time being; it is safe to assume that the same amount of drivers are out; especially on weekends. I will be working in the DFW Metroplex twice a month until the end of the year and have given up on Tyler for right now as far as adoption of Uber is concerned.

T Money

I do not know, I posted a response a couple weeks ago in the Tyler subforum and still have had no replies to it. For the time being; it is safe to assume that the same amount of drivers are out; especially on weekends. I will be working in the DFW Metroplex twice a month until the end of the year and have given up on Tyler for right now as far as adoption of Uber is concerned.
Is if financially cost effective for me to run up to DFW a couple times a month from tyler to make some extra spending cash?

Is if financially cost effective for me to run up to DFW a couple times a month from tyler to make some extra spending cash?
I basically will be doing this part time, as I work a full time job already. I focused on sporting events and major concerts for my trips. To answer your question; I would try it once and minus your expenses; do you come out with a profit? If you do, then it would be valuable.

Last edited: