1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Two women get kicked out of Uber after kiss - I would’ve asked for the popcorn

Discussion in 'News' started by jocker12, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jocker12

jocker12 Well-Known Member

Two women say an Uber driver kicked them out of his car after he saw them kiss in the back seat. The driver's taxi license, required to drive for Uber in New York City, has been suspended as the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission investigates what happened.

Alex Iovine, 26, and Emma Pichl, 24, live together in Manhattan and have been dating for nearly two years. The couple was heading back to Manhattan on Saturday after celebrating a friend's birthday at a Brooklyn bar. Iovine says she and her girlfriend were sitting on opposite sides of the back seat when they kissed.

"The middle seat was open. We were just having a conversation throughout the ride and, at one point, we leaned over into the middle and peck-kissed," Iovine told CNN. "That's genuinely all it was."

Uber lists community guidelines on its website, which specify that "you shouldn't touch or flirt with other people in the car," and that there's "no sexual conduct with drivers or fellow riders, no matter what."

But both Iovine and Pichl say they kissed once, and were not touching inappropriately.

"We understand that someone would feel uncomfortable if people were making out in the car," Iovine says. "But that's not what was going on here."

The two women tell CNN that, several minutes after their peck, the driver pulled over onto the side of a Manhattan road, away from their destination, walked over to the rear passenger side door and opened it, telling them to get out.

In video posted to Iovine's Facebook page, you hear the women asking the driver, "What's the issue?"

The driver says: "It's illegal. You don't do that."

One of the women responds: "Kissing is not illegal."

The driver says: "Yeah, it is illegal. You don't do that here in the car." He later added, "It's disrespectful."

The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission identified the driver as Ahmad el Boutari. According to a screenshot of his profile, provided to CNN by Pichl, he had a 4.67 rating and received dozens of commendations on the app for "excellent service." Multiple attempts by CNN to reach el Boutari were unsuccessful.

A spokesman for New York City's Taxi and Limousine Commission says el Boutari has been licensed since 2014, and that his license has been suspended after this incident, pending the outcome of the TLC's investigation.

El Boutari told the New York Daily News that he was uncomfortable with the couple's behavior in his car on the whole, not just with the kiss. He said they played loud videos on their phones and that one of the women put her feet up on the seats.

"It's my own car. I didn't feel comfortable with them," he told the newspaper, adding that he asked the couple to stop kissing.

Iovine told the Daily News they didn't behave inappropriately. "We would never disrespect someone else's car in such manner and we always handle ourselves appropriately in public," Iovine said. CNN reached out to the couple about el Boutari's claims.

Both the driver and the riders reported the incident to Uber. The women told CNN Uber refunded their $15 fare.

NYC's TLC, which governs taxis and other "for hire" cars, became aware of the incident after the New York Daily News Story, which included the video the women recorded. TLC spokesman Allan Fromberg says "we reached out to them (the women) immediately and commenced an investigation."

"This blatantly discriminatory behavior described by the complainant is repugnant, and will not be tolerated in the City of New York," Fromberg said.

Uber spokeswoman Susan Hendrick told CNN that the company has removed the driver's access to the app and that it is investigating the incident.

"Uber does not tolerate any form of discrimination, and we have been in touch with the rider regarding her experience," Hendrick said.

Uber's CEO Dara Khosrowshahi told the NY Post that he believes drivers like the one seen in the video "don't belong on Uber."

"This is an open society and Uber is a platform that is available to anybody regardless of your background, your orientation, and that is sacred to us," Khosrowshahi told the NY Post. "It's an unfortunate circumstance and we will do everything we can for that not to repeat."

Meanwhile, Iovine and Pichl say the incident has changed their perspective on being in a same-sex couple in New York City. Normally private, they say they now plan to attend the city's June 24 Pride parade, which celebrates the LGBTQ community.

"We kind of keep to ourselves. We don't get out there much and march in the parade," Iovine says. "But I think this has inspired us to get our voice out there more and get out there to celebrate everything this community has done, (what) we have to offer as human beings and the rights that we deserve."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...women-kiss-then-kicked-out-of-uber/index.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    just_me likes this.
  2. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    I know you guys aren't going to like this, but Uber driver Ahmad el Boutari was well within his Constitutional right to deny service. According to a ruling by the second highest court in the land last June, Mississippi HB 1523 will set precedence for businesses and individuals to deny service based on sexual orientation and gender. Just as people have the right to be LBGTQ other people have the same right not to be associated with that type of lifestyle. Now that's true freedom.

On Thursday, a three-judge panel for the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals lifted the injunction on Mississippi’s vicious “religious freedom” law, the worst anti-LGBTQ measure in the country. A federal judge had blocked the law before it took effect, ruling it violated the Establishment and Equal Protection Clauses. The 5th Circuit, however, held that the plaintiffs in the case did not have standing to challenge the law in court, rendering the injunction improper.

HB 1523, the Mississippi bill, constitutes an all-out assault on LGBTQ people and a sweeping effort to legalize discrimination. Under the law:

Businesses can refuse service to LGBTQ people.
    • Employers can fire (or refuse to hire) workers because of their sexual orientation and gender identity.
    • Adoption agencies, private and taxpayer-funded, can turn away same-sex couples and trans people.
    • Landlords can evict renters for being LGBTQ.
    • Medical professionals can refuse to treat LGBTQ patients.
    • Clerks and judges can refuse to marry same-sex couples.
    • Schools can exclude trans students from bathrooms that align with their gender identity and discriminate against all LGBTQ students.
    And, for good measure, these requirements must be interpreted as broadly as possible in favor of the discriminators.

Cary Grant and uberdriverfornow like this.
  3. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

UBER chooses not to discriminate.

4. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Uber isn't the business that denied service to the two woman. Independent driving contractor Boutari is the one that denied the service, and well within his right.

5. DelaJoe

DelaJoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Correct he is a contractor working for Uber... he does not have an independent business where he can set his own rules. 100% in the wrong. I tolerate a lot of stuff in my car but 2 women kissing and putting their feet up and playing videos does not cross any lines. The driver was 100% wrong. He should have completed the trip and given the riders 1 star so that he never gets paired with them again.

bobby747 likes this.
  6. RockinEZ

RockinEZ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't mess up the car.
    Don't touch or piss off the driver.
    Get your kiester to a spot where I can pick you up without getting a ticket.
    You get 5 stars.

Kissing is a non violent activity. I have no problem with any two people kissing.

jocker12 and Buckiemohawk like this.
  7. Demon

Demon Well-Known Member

He agreed to Uber's terms.

8. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Correct, those aren't his rules. They are Uber's rules.
    Even if these aren't Uber rules, the law allows Boutari to deny service based on sexual preference.

Cary Grant and uberdriverfornow like this.
  9. just_me

just_me Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The driver may have over reacted here. Not all kissing is considered sexual contact. Plenty of lovers give 'hello' and 'goodbye' pecks without that being considered sexual contact or flirting.

jocker12 likes this.
  10. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

Case Closed.

11. jocker12

Here are the chicks

[​IMG]

Here is the video

and

Uber CEO slams driver who booted lesbian couple over kiss
    “This is an open society and Uber is a platform that is available to anybody regardless of your background, your orientation, and that is sacred to us. It’s an unfortunate circumstance and we will do everything we can for that not to repeat.”

12. uberdriverfornow

Uber CEO apparently doesn't know his own policy.

Cary Grant and Butterdog like this.
  13. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Well-Known Member

Most likely this guy was uncomfortable with two women kissing in his car so he used the Uber guidelines as an excuse for kicking them out of his car. I also think Uber over reacted by kicking him off the platform when they could have just talked to him rather than take his livelihood away.

In this case Uber chose to side with the two women. If they didn't they were afraid they'd be labeled as homophobic by the LGBT community who are a protected class, at least where Uber is based. So much for Uber backing up the drivers that follow their own rules.

I doubt a straight couple would get this kind of press if they were denied service due to inappropriate behavior. It's kind of like the rule that says "Minors aren't allowed on the platform under 18 years of age" and yet Uber has no problem giving minors accounts as long as they have a credit card.

14. uberdriverfornow

The guy did nothing wrong and all he has to do is go on tv and quote directly from Uber's own TOS that he was in the right then Uber will have to reinstate him.

15. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    1. Lesbian couple says Uber driver kicked them out over a kiss
      New York Post

Mobile · Jun 11, 2018 · A homophobic Big Apple Uber driver kicked a lesbian couple out of his car for innocently kissing in the back seat — because he found the act “disrespectful,” according to an online video showing the aftermath of the …

Well, the New York Post just opened themselves up to a defamation lawsuit. And of all newspapers around the country the Post of all should know that any public contact between the same sex is deemed offensive to the Muslim religion. You got to love how the Post reported "innocently kissing". I'm sure the Muslim driver didn't view it as innocent. So which takes precedence in a situation like this? Is gender freedom more important than religious freedom?

Sydney Uber and Cary Grant like this.
  16. uberdriverfornow

If he was homophobic he wouldn't have allowed them in his car. The issue is they were breaking Uber's TOS and Uber is not standing behind their TOS, in an attempt to make it look like when you go against gays you are a bad person.

Some people just want to put on a show and this couple was just looking for a reason to *****.

I've had to ask couples to politely not kiss in my car as well. It's inappropriate and just not good manners. You can wait 10 minutes to get out of my car at your house and do whatever you want to do.

The problem is that nobody has any manners anymore.

17. jocker12

I wonder what that driver would've done IF those chicks would've asked to kiss him (as a tip, let's say)? Does anybody here thinks he would've kicked them out saying their request was disrespectful?

What would a driver/man do (honestly) if the passenger/woman wants to tip him with a kiss (inside of his car)? Kick them out and give them 1 star? And this question is for the entire UP forum.

18. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    How would he have known beforehand that they were of the LGBTQ lifestyle?

Yes, he would have kicked them out. You need to research the practices of the Muslim faith. Beheadings and stoning to death are the norm for people portraying public LGBTQ tendencies in much of the Middle East. In most of SE Asia it's only a prison sentence.

Cary Grant likes this.
  19. jocker12

Let's for a second here, forget about "the Muslim" aspect of this incident. (This happened in Jan 2017 - Uber hit with another sexual-assault lawsuit - "The driver, Salim Mohamed Salem, also known as Salim Mohamed Abdussalam, had a criminal record and should have been prevented from driving an Uber, according to the complaint.").

What would YOU do, inside your car, with a woman asking to kiss you? Kick her out and give her 1 star?

20. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    You can't forget about "the Muslim" aspect. It's a constitutionally protected right under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

I would bring the both of them home and say to my wife, "Hi honey, look what I found. Can I please keep them. Please please!!!"