TV news heads-up/ORD pit coverage tonight

Ping.Me.More

For tonight, 1/31/19, 9PM CST, WGN Chicago TV news coverage:
One of the scheduled segments tonight is video coverage of the ORD TNP lot,
including complaints from passengers about waiting an hour to get picked up.

All of you double-parking, dodge-em'-cars, antsy pit lurkers are probably going
to get dissed big-time. (I got rear-ended in the pit a few days ago, and am
considering opening a crash-helmet kiosk next to the hillbilly coffee truck).

leroy jenkins

predictions. things that won't get mentioned.

1. Uber HQ takes 20% to 50%+ of the fare as commission. But it's the driver who gets pooped on as the bad guy.
2. pax too cheap to walk to the cab line, then complain about waiting
3. moving the cell phone lot next to the Hilton caused a clusterf____

Ad nauseam

Nice head's up ping. That and the 1000s of canceled flights and the rain and the snow. Save my spot. Good day to dress up legal and find your paperwork, have AT hand, too.
hillbilly coffee truck---who parks closely to potties and may never have ever washed his hands....
Which like all food trucks, least of concerns when the belly is triggered or should I say tricked!

OP-Matt

Here's the video: https://wgntv.com/2019/01/31/thousands-of-ride-share-trips-at-ohare-snarl-traffic-delaying-pickups/

'Almost' a comprehensive story...but yes...still pretty skewed against drivers.

As others have pointed out putting in a light doesn't really solve the problem...as it creates a standing start race to the terminal with 10-15 cars at a time all the way there, and makes for a cluster still at the terminal.

Putting a cap in place is just about the dumbest idea i've heard yet!

Only reasonable idea i've seen is creating a path from a new exit on the pit, directly to Mannheim. (But it would need to be an expensive tunnel or bridge over top of the EB 190 exit from Mannheim). But that makes the entrance from Balmoral an enter only...and the exit is exit only. Then re-stripe the lot with better flow and merging lanes. (I want to suggest stacked lanes...but I think that might not totally work, even if the drivers near the front of the lanes generally get the next pings...still bound to get messed up.)

veblenrules

Turn the taxi staging area into the rideshare lot and let the cabs wait where rideshares are now. These days there are more rideshare cars than Chicago taxis anyway.. Taxis aren't assigned until they're at the head of the line at the terminals. Might involve considerable bloodshed to effect the change though.....

Ten years from now this whole situation will be in the rear view mirror of autonomous cars. Oh wait, they won't need rearview mirrors.

Prius13

Weird how there hasn't been a mention of dope drivers who illegally park anywhere they want, speed for a $15 ride, 1/3 of my time there drivers were fighting and screaming over parking spots. Animals.

Ping.Me.More

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I go there occasionally to pee .... unfortunately, many porta-potty users do not aim well.
In the very cold weather, the floors (and the walls, toilet seats, etc.) of the potty units
can be caked with freezing urine slush. . . If you don't walk through some snow to get rid of it
before re-entering your vehicle, that stuff will end up on your floor mats. (yuk!)

ROUGUE X

So many problems, cant imagine them doing anything to fix this anytime soon. Seems only fitting riders looking for cheap rides are made to suffer.

Ping.Me.More

Traffic lights will do little to solve problem. There' are already stop signs.
Doesn't solve cluster$%# within the pit itself.
Why not make the current Pit entry/exit an entrance only, then, add a new Pit exit-only to
merge onto Westbound Balmoral, which already intersects to Bessie Coleman?

SatMan

Traffic lights will do little to solve problem. There' are already stop signs.
Doesn't solve cluster$%# within the pit itself.
Why not make the current Pit entry/exit an entrance only, then, add a new Pit exit-only to
merge onto Westbound Balmoral, which already intersects to Bessie Coleman?[/

Can you think ahead and see the backups at the next two lights........That whole section between the first light and the left turn to the terminals would look like the exit to the pit.
At least you're thinking...... Thank You

Last edited:

Cheech

Just watched the WGN segment about ORD.

Where I live, anything over 45 minutes is either a ride to Chicago, Milwaukee, or ORD, which usually gets declined since the ban on rematches.

LYFT failed to alert me of the over 45 minute ride to ORD but took it anyway.

After I passed through the airport toll... LYFT added another person to my QUEUE.

Dropped off my passenger & the new passenger found me while I was looking at the app to figure out which terminal she was at.

The entire drop off to pick up thing took less than 8 minutes for us to be on our way to her destination.

Vladko

Lyft frequently does that recently. I had at least 3 pax added to the queue in last 2 days when ord was really busy. On the over hand you do not see trip duration and rating. And it does not tell the rider that driver is finishing the ride with another pax,like uber does. In all 3 cases i got call from pax saying that i just passed their pick up spots.

Ping.Me.More

Yesterday midday, in the middle of me turning into the pit entrance ramp, I got a Lyft ping for ORD Terminal pickup, which I accepted. Oops ..but too late now to back out of the pit entrance and go right to terminal from pit entrance.
. . 2 columns of ants were streaming out. Every aisle was backed up with ants trying to stream into the outward flow. I was forced to go all the way into and through the pit.

After being trapped in the pit for 15-20 minutes, inching my way back out to pick up the Lyft Pax, I accepted an UberX ping near the stop sign, because there was surge$$ included. . . . guess which Pax I cancelled?

Dear Lyft: how do you expect to compete at ORD? No wonder you are outnumbered 3-1 by Uber ants!!! How about a little $$$ incentive now and then, during busy periods?

Last edited:

Randy Jack

Turn the taxi staging area into the rideshare lot and let the cabs wait where rideshares are now. These days there are more rideshare cars than Chicago taxis anyway.. Taxis aren't assigned until they're at the head of the line at the terminals. Might involve considerable bloodshed to effect the change though.....

Ten years from now this whole situation will be in the rear view mirror of autonomous cars. Oh wait, they won't need rearview mirrors.
That makes absolutely zero sense and wouldn't solve the basic problems of 15 rideshare cars per minute and riders and drivers needing to find eachother.

Taxis drive single file because there is an actual person controlling the distribution. No matter what you do, there's going to be a bottleneck somewhere because the rideshare system is by definition a free-for-all.

What's most likely to happen is that the pax will be shuttled to a remote area where they find the car. After the next mayor is sworn in, you can expect changes will happen swiftly, but not before then.

Last edited: