1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Turo woes at DIA

Discussion in 'Denver' started by UberDuff, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. UberDuff

UberDuff

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have been supplementing my driving and downtime with Uber and Lyft by renting out my cars on Turo. It’s been fairly lucrative. Most rentals start and end at DIA, curbside. I have anticipated Turo becoming persona non grata at the airport. Especially after the recent press about SFO suing Turo over rentals that occur at their airport. Well today was the day. I was informed that I could be ticketed $25.00 if I was caught doing Turo at DIA. I had a long conversation with the guy, he was actually very cool about it. He said they are on the hunt for Turo hosts effective immediately. He also stated that the Turo guys that stash their rentals in Pikes Peak and other parking areas are on the radar as well. The way it sounds, the guys that do non face to face deliveries by leaving cars on airport property with lock boxes on them, is what got the attention of security. This sucks due to the fact that I have 6 or 7 bookings at DIA between now and the end of April. They took pictures of my car and the plate is on file now. I have two other cars that I book out on Turo so I am anticipating similar greetings in the coming week.

The guy spoke somewhat extensively about the DIA database on TNC scofflaws. He talked about several guys that have backpacks full of cellphones that ride the que for other drivers. He talked about limo drivers that do Uber and how they game the system. He noted that DIA has a database of roughly 250 license plates of naughty TNC drivers. He actually used an exact number which led me to believe he knew what he was talking about.

Back to Turo, in closing. I hope Turo gets some sort of permit for DIA. I am going to up my delivery fee. I am sure I am on the well known list now. I am also at DIA 4 to 6 times a week doing pickups and deliveries. I won’t be surprised if I get ticketed in the coming week.

randrace, RyanP and Daisey77 like this.
  2. UberDez

UberDez

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I noticed yesterday turo had me enter in more details on all my cars for airport pick up and drop offs. I did one last night even
    I personally hate doing dia turo drops. I have left the car in valet a few times with no issues. I wonder if that will be an issue too

3. cobraco

cobraco

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Ah, the dudes holding phones. That is nice if they have a license plate database, but what do they do with it? Are they kicking these people out? Fining them with escalating fines for number of occurrences? Inquiring minds want to know!

4. Daisey77

Daisey77

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The couple of Passenger I had that were picking up Turo cars, were picking them up at the hotels off Tower. I don't know if that would be an option for you.

Now on to the TNC drama lol he knows what he's talking about. Them and the puc seem to be on board with each other. Uber on the other hand doesn't seem very cooperative. They caught non marked commercial vehicles in the commercial lot and Livery drivers with Livery plates not registered with the airport, as well as what you mentioned. I think it comes down to what rules, policies, or laws are being broke. Unmarked Vehicles is something the puc can handle and those people might lose their commercial aspect of driving. Livery plates not being registered with the airport, is an airport requirement. Therefore I'm guessing they can handle that themselves but they may have the police handle it for them. DIA has hired/instructed the police to stage at our lot after hours sometimes. I've also noticed security starting to stage on the pull outs on Jackson gap where a lot of these drivers Park. The puc showed up and did a surprise audit one day and I noticed they were staged at the Gate entrance to level five a couple days later. From what I hear, five or six of them showed up to our lot.

5. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Something that you guys have brought up before, I noticed a few days ago for the first time. People with LL numbers on the back of the vehicle, but with regular plates, not Livery plates. There are 2 or 3 Black Lexus SUV's running around like this, I followed two of them down I-25 the other day around lunch time, both had full passenger loads.

DIA and PUC really need to step up going after the people who scam the system, it needs to start with FIFO for all violations. If they have a list of repeat or serial violators, they need to just start doing random traffic stops, or curbside stops of them. Especially at the pickup doors. Maybe the city needs to start doing fake requests, if the car that shows up doesn't match what the system says is coming, then they need take that driver into custody, and have a long talk with him/her and go after his buddies as well.

UberDuff and Daisey77 like this.
  6. UberDuff

UberDuff

Driving:
    UberXL
    UberDezNutzUberDezNutz did you get picked up in a Mercedes on one of those Valet drops? The security guy definitely mentioned that they were aware of Turo Hosts using Valet.

It sounds like they are stepping up efforts to get the bad actors abusing TNC. Ultimately it’s a security issue, so they should!

I am definitely weighing the option of staging at Starbucks on Tower, near the hotels . I invested in 3 cars to do Turo and offering airport delivery vs not offering it is absolutely the difference in being busy vs not. There are some catch 22’s though. Such as, where does AIRPORT property begin and end. When I park Cars at the parking spot, I pay an Airport tax I am pretty sure. That is past the hotels. So are the hotels on Airport property as well? I read an article yesterday regarding the loss of revenue from rental car business at DIA. The loss was due to a couple or three of the brick and mortar rental agencies not properly collecting fees and taxes(due to the airport) from tourists renting their cars. Which stated something to the fact, and I’m paraphrasing, that any airline passenger that rents a car within 24 hours and I believe, within 20 miles of the airport; needs to pay airport taxes and fees.

Don’t Uber and Lyft charge the PAx some sort of airport fee that gets passed on to DIA?

I tweeted and got a response from the CEO of Turo yesterday. He thanked me for making him aware of the incident and kindly asked me to contact support. I have a case open with support currently, and received a prompt response this morning that they Had escalated it and would be back in touch within a day. I will follow up with Turo’s response when I see it. Ultimately I hope Turo is smart enough to play ball with DIA. Colorado was one of the first states to go after an Internet sales tax. DIA is one of the local government’s crown jewels. They are going to get their money one way or the other. They are either going to cite Turo Hosts to get it and/or they are going to sue Turo into complying like they did with Uber and Lyft.

In the meantime, I might have to put some cars up on HyreCar. Any thoughts there?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  7. UberDez

UberDez

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Nope I've only used valet twice , I charge $60-$80 for DIA pickup and drop off which I think is fair because that's less than the cost of an Uber to and From DIA to Downtown give or take a few bucks .. One time I got picked up by my Buddy in an Infiniti and the other a really crummy Ford Taurus with the nicest old man driving . I usually will use Uber Pool to get back to the city after a drop off to save money or if it's possible I'll have the Renters drop me off in the city . I love when they just come to me to get the car it's so much better , because if I charge $80 I'm only getting $60 so usually it's a wash and I spent a bunch of time on it . I wish there was more customization on Turo for pricing etc... Like I don't mind doing an airport pickup/drop off on 5 day or longer trips but on 3 days it's not really worth it and I'm not gonna give free delivery like some people . Although I may give a shot of raising my prices a bit and offering free delivery for a bit see if I get more rentals .
    When I first started Turo I was really busy but now it's very slow for me , I know part of it is probably because of my Airport delivery fees and 3 day minimum trips but it is what it is .

I offer different roof racks and booster seats at additional charges and that's been nice however it would be much better if Turo had add on options after the booking . Right now I've been either running it separate on a Square reader or doing a reimbursement claim

I don't like the idea of people using my cars for Rideshare I know they get used for Rideshare when I'm driving them but I also don't do much city driving to and from DIA is 80%-90% of my rides so it's easy on the cars .

Another thing I would love for Turo to do is being able to discount trips that start and end at a certain date , wife and I have been traveling every 4-6 weeks and I always try to set up a Turo Rental for while we're gone so I can drive to the airport , one time it worked out so perfect . We were leaving Tuesday and these people wanted to rent it wednesday so we drove to DIA parked it in Valet and they picked it up the next day from Valet ($33 for Valet but an Uber would have been almost $40) then they returned the car the day after we got back , looking back I wish I would have just extended the trip an extra day . Anyway it would be cool to say March13-17 rental is 30% off with free airport delivery or something like that if you were out of town those days .

I really want to add a couple cars to my fleet I have 3 in it right now would love to go to 5 but I gotta make sure I have cars rented out a minimum of 5 days a month to break even on each car. I have my Explorer rented out for 3 days right now and the money made from it covers my monthly payment 5 days would cover insurance and depreciation (roughly)

RyanP likes this.
  8. Daisey77

Daisey77

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Airport security has started monitoring the commercial lot, in addition to ours. there were vehicles in there that had no markings whatsoever. There was a GMC Yukon or Tahoe and a Ford Expedition. I personally think they're buying 2 vehicles of the same color, make and model and in an effort to save some money, they're splitting up the identifying markers, putting the plates on one and the puc numbers on the other. Hell they might even be buying more than two vehicles and just changing plates from one to the other. IDK that's pure speculation but there seems to be a large increase in the amount of vehicles not properly marked. previously, it seems to have been overlooked quite a bit but I think with everything coming to light,it's going to be more more difficult to get away with. Hopefully anyways. A lot of my select runs from the airport say they used to use black but they don't anymore because of concerns we have discussed discussed, as well as concerns about the drivers.

9. Frontier Guy

Frontier Guy

Driving:
    UberX
    This morning, dropped a pax at DIA, as I'm trying to pull away, rideshare dude in a dark colored A4 is blocking me and another car in. DPD is standing 3 lanes out directing traffic. I blow my horn at Audi, he doesn't move, DPD walks over, blows his whistle, points to Audi, points to guy in Security cap, Audi pulls away, DPD whistles and points to the outside wall. As I'm pulling away, I said thanks. He signs my AMP, asks if I'm a rideshare driver, I said yes, and I'm smarter than the average, he says good. I asked about the dude pulling to the wall and security walking to him, DPD says they will get his DL and plate info, issue him a written warning and file it. Says citations will begin soon.

Daisey77 likes this.
  10. KungFuPanda

KungFuPanda

Driving:
    UberX
    Idk how you would benefit from moving plates around like that, still have to have insurance coverage on each vin... I guess you could maybe get around the $500 bond per vehicle swapping around AVI tags/sharing 1 tag but seems like a pita just to avoid a deposit. And why would there be more concern over drivers that go through a more involved qualifying process (fingerprint check, DOT physical)?