Turned down trip

ibeam23

Yesterday I get a ping in Washington NJ just outside of Westwood which I accept. Pax immediately sends me a text saying there will be one stop and a return trip and asks if that's okay. I respond "sure" and go to pickup location. It's a very disheveled looking young couple in their late 20s. I roll up and as the woman opens my back door she says we are picking up a friend first, then needs me to wait in Paterson for maybe 5 minutes and then drive everyone back home. Um, yeah, no thanks.

Me: I'm not waiting for you in Paterson.
Pax: Why not?
Me: I'm 18 years heroin-free, I have no business sitting there waiting.
Pax: oh, um, oh, yeah, um okay. Can you cancel because I can't afford the cancellation fee.

I'd normally not turn down a return trip like this but these two were obviously junkies and I didn't want any part of it. I took the hit to my cancellation rate because I didn't want to run the risk of pax complaining to Über saying I refused a ride based on location.

ibeam23

Good for you. This is just a no win situation. I suggest you document it to Uber just in case the junkie passenger tries to get revenge on you.
I immediately contacted Über and asked to never be matched with this passenger again.

I would also call Uber and see if the kinder gentler Uber can expunge the cancel
Über refuses to remove any cancellation for any reason. Quite unfair but they absolutely refuse.

Attachments

• IMG_6135.jpg
    IMG_6135.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 55

ibeam23

I will say the couple was polite and didn't have a problem with me refusing the ride. I knew what they were doing; takes one to know one. When I mentioned my past drug history the woman became quite uncomfortable and stumbled on her words as she knew that I knew what they were doing. She probably also didn't want a lecture for the next hour about the dangers of heroin. LOL

ToughTommy

Had a ride about a month ago on a Sat night from Ocean to AP.
We went into the hood and I waited for her to cop and got out of there. Didn't realize it was going to happen till I arrived on Sewall Ave. no mas match

Caspita

I fell for this one when I started. Old couple 60+ which after I learned here made sense their behavior lol! picked them up in Oakland destination Paterson.. they looked very anxious all the time .. they insisted were going to pick up some papers and if I could take them back it would just be 5 mins.. one think I knew at the time is I didn't want to do pick ups in Paterson so I agreed feeling kind of lucky it was going to be a round-trip. Had to wait for like close to 10 mins in a dark street while they went into some weird place and came back with some paper bag ... took then back and everything was cool but now days I think I was lucky I came out of that one alive lol!

ibeam23

I fell for this one when I started. Old couple 60+ which after I learned here made sense their behavior lol! picked them up in Oakland destination Paterson.. they looked very anxious all the time .. they insisted were going to pick up some papers and if I could take them back it would just be 5 mins.. one think I knew at the time is I didn't want to do pick ups in Paterson so I agreed feeling kind of lucky it was going to be a round-trip. Had to wait for like close to 10 mins in a dark street while they went into some weird place and came back with some paper bag ... took then back and everything was cool but now days I think I was lucky I came out of that one alive lol!
Sounds like a drug deal to me.

SuzeCB

Age means nothing. I recently met up with an old friend. An old flame, really, who had obviously become a meth head.

El Dorado

Few months back I pick up skinny beat up looking young woman in Upper Saddle River from big mansion. Destination is the projects in Newark near Irvington. At drop off she asks me to wait and says "I'll be back in five minutes." Nope. Ride over.

I had a guy months ago who cleaned fish tanks for a job and needed to pickup payment in paterson he seemed honest and didnt look or act like a addict so i argeed to wait he was in and out of the apt complex like the place was on fire and we then got out of there wasnt even 3 mins in this specific instance was glad to help.

MaximusMurkimus

I don't blame you for not wanting to wait around in a place like Paterson, but if it was broad daylight and they were coming back I wouldn't have minded too much. See no evil, hear no evil, etc....