Tuesday evenining AKA why Uber won't be raising rates any time soon

ShinyAndChrome

I took these screen shots tonight as I left the city. Out in the suburbs I saw more density than I see on a Friday night. I wonder what these guys are making per hour :p
Tuesday1.png
Tuesday2.png

Tuesday3.png
Tuesday4.png

Tuesday5.png
Tuesday6.png

A lot of these guys (I recognize some of them from other nights) sit at their house with the app on. I've done that, too, but it's ultimately a pain because you're tied to your phone until you get a hit. It's really just better to make a "shift" out of it and stay out there.

Garbage Plate

I've noticed a lot more drivers out there last couple of weeks. Especially during the afternoon. I have gone over an hour without getting a ping the last 2 days. That includes sitting around in popular areas and driving around busy streets. Only getting regular pings during am and pm rush hours. and late Friday and Saturday nights. My attempts to get away from other drivers is not working well as your screen shots show. I leave the normal busy areas and go east. Instead of finding some space for myself, I find many drivers all over the place. I am hoping we are over saturated with drivers and many will give up after making very little money.

ShinyAndChrome

I've noticed a lot more drivers out there last couple of weeks. Especially during the afternoon. I have gone over an hour without getting a ping the last 2 days. That includes sitting around in popular areas and driving around busy streets. Only getting regular pings during am and pm rush hours. and late Friday and Saturday nights. My attempts to get away from other drivers is not working well as your screen shots show. I leave the normal busy areas and go east. Instead of finding some space for myself, I find many drivers all over the place. I am hoping we are over saturated with drivers and many will give up after making very little money.
I started this mid-August and although I have not been able to get enough data to say for sure, my sense is that there are more drivers per passenger than there were then. It won't take a person more than a couple of weeknight evenings grossing $10/hour to start to realize it's a waste of time hanging out on East ave on a tuesday night, so I also like you hope that some of them bail and just never come back.

In the past four weeks we've gone from Thurs/Fri/Sat boost times around the bars/RIT for 6 hours night and up to 30% (or was it 40%) boost to now this upcoming weekend no boost whatsoever except for 10% on Saturday night/sunday morning only. There are just too many drivers.

Apparently a large number of uber drivers give up within a month so the fact I'm still here tells me I have some staying power. Hopefully enough to get through the lull--assuming there is one. For all I know in six months it will be even worse. Hopefully not!

Merc7186

This very reason is why we also haven't seen any Quests since 4th of July week too. Our areas are over saturated with drivers at the moment and there is no need to pay us extra to drive.

As I have always said, be thankful for all of these guys who sit in the airport queue (there was 29 at 11pm at Buffalo Airport last night) and on their couch with the app on...they are just pigeon holing themselves to not making any money and will eventually quit.

ROCuberguy585

I don't understand why so many drivers out in the suburbs? I'll admit I do a lot of ubering from my couch, I don't mind being "on call" but if I haven't gotten anything in hours I'll usually go offline and relax. Tuesday night in the burbs what are you going to get?

That being said I'll usually go online when I leave work wether it be at noon, 5 or 10 depending on my shift. Last night didn't even leave our parking lot on Winton before I got a ping from Radio social, took them over near park ave. Then got a ping from the Revelry on University and took them to the Hyatt recency. Then I got on 490 and went home. Two minimum fares but very little extra mileage and took less than 30 mins. That comes out to about $14.50 an hour, not bad for X on a Tuesday night. But it's all right place right time

My point is that unless you're already out that it really isn't worth it on week nights but you might get lucky or you might not. As far as sitting at home if it's been a couple hours why not just go offline and relax? The worst thing is when you finally get comfortable and then you get a ping. Then you have to weigh the fact that you haven't gotten anything in hours against the fact you really don't want to go back out and have to make that decision in less than 15 seconds. Uber can be alright for a little extra income but so many drivers become like slaves to uber (almost literally when you figure the wages out). Don't give up your life for Uber but if you do you might as well just go sit in the airport queue.

ShinyAndChrome

^^^ There is still [some] money to be made doing rush hour I think, though it's also pretty heavy on drivers. Lots of people leave work now and just turn the app on. I did a few lunch hours when I first started but now I get virtually no pings so unless I'm just driving around for the heck of it I won't bother even trying; workout or something instead. I agree if you're out you may as well turn it on and DF never hurts (though in my experience it hardly ever helps, either). The funny thing is DF will hide you on the map so I know these people were not with DF on.
The worst thing is when you finally get comfortable and then you get a ping. Then you have to weigh the fact that you haven't gotten anything in hours against the fact you really don't want to go back out and have to make that decision in less than 15 seconds.
Exactly! You can never fully relax because you may get some silly ping. And the longer you've gone before the ping the slower the night is so you know you'll probably just drive dead miles back anyway.

ROCuberguy585

Has anyone gotten pings with DF on??? I never have and I've used it on a variety of different destinations, distances and directions at various times of day. I'll only use it if I have to be somewhere and don't have time to go all the way across town and back. Otherwise I just keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't end up out in Palmyra.
Exactly! You can never fully relax because you may get some silly ping. And the longer you've gone before the ping the slower the night is so you know you'll probably just drive dead miles back anyway.
That's the crux of the problem now. I know I can get trip if I'm patient but everywhere I drop off seems to be overstaturated. So I basically either have dead miles coming back or have the potential of waiting forever for a new trip.

ShinyAndChrome

I have received only one DF. I needed it, too. Had been a slow morning. I passed greece ridge mall with lyft and got it as I was a hundred yards past it. I had to u-turn. The pickup wanted to go exactly along my route and a short ride got me $5 tip plus the normal fees. I've been trying it a bunch to work from remote suburb into town and never gotten a hit on that or on uber.
That's the crux of the problem now. I know I can get trip if I'm patient but everywhere I drop off seems to be overstaturated. So I basically either have dead miles coming back or have the potential of waiting forever for a new trip.
I think truly the only time to get reliable pings is Thursd/Fri/Sat night. If anybody else has a better time or spot I recommend you don't share it here. Weeknight evenings are probably the worst because everybody doing their "side hustle" thinks they are going to make a few extra bucks. Most people won't be stupid enough to try this job full time so I am guessing work would be slow but somewhat steady in the middle of the day when much of the competition is at their regular jobs.

ShinyAndChrome

I had to be in henrietta for a couple of hours tonight so I turned this on. In the past I've gotten fairly constant pings around this time when I'm there. I got two really short trips and then nothing. And...driver app tells me why. lol, look at us, what a bunch of clowns.

Wed1.png
wed2.png
wed3.png

mhugh30

[QUOTE="ShinyAndChrome,
Hey what are those icons at the bottom of your screen shots. I'm assuming they are short cuts or quick links but where do they cone from. I've noticed it on some of your past post.
Updated:
Nevermind - I just realized I have a "work" one on mine. That's the destination I use when checking out where everyone is

Garbage Plate

Insane. This is not Manhattan where a lot of people are looking for a ride. I don't think this can last but maybe I'm wrong. These drivers can not be getting many pings. At least it's rush hour.

Merc7186

Some will eventually give it up as a waste of time or you have to find that one spot where no one goes... I have one of those spots near me :smiles:

ShinyAndChrome

Went out tonight. A few min after leaving house I got a ping that took me across deep into the city. I then drove all along W main into border of penfield before getting a $3.66 fare. I then drove down monroe a bit and parked just past the highway so that cars were behind me and empty in front. I then drove out toward nazareth...I then set my apps to destination mode and now I'm home.

I'm getting pushed out. The density of drivers is too high. Back in August I could consistently gross $18-20/hour before costs. I would get back to back sometimes. It just doesn't seem to happen now. I'm not going to sit out grossing $10-15/hour when I should be in bed resting for my actual job the next day.

It's too bad because I like this as a part time thing, but if I'm quite literally not able to make more than my daughter makes babysitting, I won't be doing it. I hope that in a few months Uber cranks through all the people in the city, many give up, maybe it picks up. Remember what surges on the map looked like? In august I used to see them pop up even in the evenings in Webster or maybe down by Eastview.

Look at the density of cars. What really took me be surprise was the ridiculous number of XL.

Another strange thing is my tip rate has plummeted. I am still very highly reviewed, but I am getting less tips than I used to. Car is clean, no issues with people. They just don't bother tipping very often. I wonder if it's because I have more rides under my belt they have less sympathy? Or maybe it has something to do with the number of cars, or maybe it's not statistically relevant in my small analysis.

thurs1.png
thurs2.png

Insane. This is not Manhattan where a lot of people are looking for a ride. I don't think this can last but maybe I'm wrong. These drivers can not be getting many pings. At least it's rush hour.
I can't imagine anybody is getting a lot of pings now, save maybe after midnight on a friday or saturday.

Garbage Plate

I am in the same boat as you. I am going to be picking my spots as far as when I go out. I enjoy the job but it just isn't worth it to be out there right now except for rush hours and Friday and Saturday night. Let's hope that changes but I really don't know if it will. It's crazy how many cars are out there on a Thursday night.

Merc7186

Actually, if you pick your spots right, you can do well on a Thursday Night. Last night, I had 14 fares between 10pm-3am and averaged just a hair under $25.

...now I'm @@@@ing exhausted....

LittlePuttPutt

I super lucked out last night. Somebody dragged me way out to Victor on Lyft, but as soon as I dropped off, I got pinged for Uber to bring somebody back in towards the city. But otherwise it was a slow day. I have to laugh though, because 10-12$ is what I've averaged all along, because I only get 1-2 rides/hr. Kinda sucks, but if you park in a nice spot and have a book to read while you wait, it's still better than a few hours extra working retail with a coworker who drives you nuts. Saturday nights are the only decent night for me. I have a couple reliable bars, where the customers are established (old) enough to know that a DWI isn't worth the couple mile fare to get home. They're shortish rides, but they at least tend to tip you a couple bucks each. And it's a reasonably steady stream of them too, because the older ones don't necessarily stay out till the bar closes.