Tucson questions and advice? Uber or what ever just ask.

Adbam

I have over 5000 rides at over 4.9 star rating. We finally got a tucson section in this forum. (Thanks calicat2002).

Ask away.

Krishna

Yeah, I was off for a while, and when I came back, Lo, there was a Tucson section! But still very little action, except for the occasional troll from Phoenix :wink:

Adbam

I know I shouldn't feed that phoenix troll. I haven't had a battle in a few months so I decided to defend tucson. I agree tucson is done for full time Uber especially after the incentives are gone.

You can still make some part time money but only during busy times and events.

I'm doing more side jobs and looking (not very hard) for another full time job.

I've taken a few uber rides lately and most drivers are pretty ignorant to ubers practices and how to uber smartly. I will still uber occasionally unless something happens with the new rideshare law changes at the end of the month.

Either way I'll be on this forum and help when I can.

Not dumb

I have over 5000 rides at over 4.9 star rating. We finally got a tucson section in this forum. (Thanks calicat2002).

Ask away.
Hi, I see that there is a $27 an hour fare guarantee for this weekend (4/14-4/16). I didn't actually receive the hourly guarantee last time it was offered (no 3 rides per hour for all hours?) and I wonder if any other drivers did? Does that mean that there won't be any surge pricing?

I did drive last night, but didn't get the guarantee because I made more than $27/hr.

But I was answering your other question about whether or not the guarantees have anything to do with surge pricing. Why would you think that the guarantees would cause a decrease in surge pricing? What kind of logic is that?

Not dumb

Because the hope of $27 an hour brings out every available driver which in turn causes no surge conditions. I sure wish there was more Tucson drivers on this site I think I will check out the Phoenix threads.

Ok, that makes some sense --- but I think there are already too many drivers out on the road every night.

I guess I just didn't think it made much difference -- $27/hr is about what you can do with about a 2.5 surge going on -- so if it did surge you'd get just about the same.

Interestingly for me last night I caught a rider that wanted to go to Sahaurita right about 11:15PM and that fare was $32, so I didn't need the guarantee the first hour. Then it did surge in and out for a bit and I still made over $27/hr for the next couple of hours.

Krishna

I was going to write a thread about that guarantee, called "Uber and the Dwindling Meaning of "Huge""

They called $27 during the busiest hours of the week "Huge?"

$27 gross, of course, including Uber's cut and all expenses. That's still going to come out to $10-15 net per hour, depending on your car and how many miles you end up driving.

A pathetically small "incentive" for driving drunks around. You could make that much and more almost any hour of the day before Uber cut the rates.

Adbam

I can definitely help with this topic. Guarantees definitely effect the surge in a bad way.

Think about it. If you have to have your app on for an hour to get the $27 (actually $20 after ubers cut) then people don't log off. If people don't log off then there are more drivers online.

Accepting 90% of requests that come to you also kills surge because less people are waiting for rides with the app on.

And lastly needing 3 rides per hour (last year 1 ride per hour) also kills surge for the same last reason.

Last edited:

Adbam

Thursday was proof of this, 90% of the time at 11 pm during the school year on a Thursday there is a "goin to the party surge". Guess what ....no surge.

Adbam

My advise is to never work for ubers guarantee. They turn a convenient job where you can chose your own hours and time you work into being ubers pretend employee. $27 isn't what you really make. If you pull up to a passenger that is belligerent, to drunk or has to many passengers you cant cancel because you lose the guarantee.
If uber sends you a ping from 20 min away you have to accept it.
Then on top of all this I expect to and do make more than $20 an hour on these busy nights anyway. So why become an uber employee when you can still make the money working normally.

Last edited:

Not dumb

I got 2 short rides in the 1st 30 minutes, then nothing else in the hour, even though I was parked on greek row...I called it a nite. So, I think the rate guarantee is a trick to kill surge and under pay drivers. Did anyone get the guarantee?

Adbam

Last night was a bust in tucson. Downtown was dead. I still caught a good surge ride downtown after 2 am because I didn't work the guarantee.

I have some more advice for you. Friday is not a college night. Don't hang by the campus. Only campus on sat and Thurs night. Friday go to 4th and downtown after 11am.

Your pretty much talking to all the tucson people on this board so I don't think we got the incentive or care to. College is the only way to get 3 or more rides per hour on a guaranteed basis and they don't party on Fridays that often.

The fact that Uber made it 3 rides per hour is straight up Satan evil, it used to be 1 ride per hour.

Pt Barnam said that there is a sucker born every minute and Uber is proving it. There are so many new drivers out falling for this deception that it's hurting us and only helping uber and the passengers.

Work smart and you will beat the guarantees with less stress.

Guber Dave

I received a email from UBER that my cancelation rate was high.. I have never canceled a ride yet. Anyone else have this problem. I just wrote UBER about it.

Adbam

Most of ubers customer/partner support is outsourced to asian countries. They aren't the best but you did what I would have done.

Have you ever declined or not accepted rides?

I wouldn't worry to much most of ubers warning emails are empty threats. You are a contractor and technically you aren't obligated to give any rides for uber.

This is where uber skirts and possibly breaks laws regarding employee rules. There are multiple lawsuits in many states about this.

Guber Dave

My email to Uber,

I have been driving for three weeks and love my work. I take ever ride you send me. I have never canceled a ride since I started. I have had requests for rides while I'm on a trip And the destination is not there final drop off. That has happened twice. I also have had many riders call for a ride then cancel on me. I'm sure that does not count against me, as I have no control over the riders wishes. Please look into this as I am looking forward to clearing this matter up.