1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Trump Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by djino, Jul 11, 2018.

?
  1. 1. The Smithsonian Museum

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. 2. The Madame Tussauds Wax museum with Manafort wax likeness wearing it.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. 3. Presented as a gift to Paul Ryan upon his retirement.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. djino

djino Well-Known Member

As you may have heard Justice Anthony Kennedy is retiring from the Supreme Court of the United states, leaving an empty spot for Trump to fill with a likely extreme right-wing conservative who will likely over turn prior Supreme Court rulings like Roe vs Wade.

And Trump announced 2 days ago, that he has nominated Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court.

So who is Brett Kavanaugh and what is the issue with this Supreme Court pick?

James Hohmann, from the Washing Post wrote:

"He was one of Starr's top bulldogs as the independent counsel investigated Bill Clinton and at times advocated internally for an even more agreesive approach against the Democratic president. Kavanaugh was a lead author of the Starr Report and has acknowledged writing portions that laid out grounds for impeachment"

So as you can see, he's been clear on the record. So it appears that Trump better watch himself because if the president is involved in a scandal, you should deeply investigate it like Kavanaugh did to Bill Clinton. But Oh wait, I'm sorry, it looks like he changed his mind.

Then he joined Republican president Bush's team and said the following...

"I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office. In particular, Congress might consider a law exempting a President - while in office - from criminal prosecution and investigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or defense counsel."

DING DING DING DING... We now know why Trump picked Kavanaugh to be his supreme court nominee. In other words, Kavanaugh believes you shouldn't investigate the president for ANYTHING criminal or civil. In other words, a president is ABOVE THE LAW. Conveniently saying this when there is a republican president, when HE HIMSELF INVESTIGATED A DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENT. Hypocrisy? Well there's more as Kavanaugh also has said...

"The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis."

So yeah, this is the guy Trump wants to be the supreme court justice. And if Trump gets into some sort of legal trouble (*cough* *cough* Mueller's Russia investigation *cough*), where do you think the case is going to go? IT'S GOING TO GO TO THE SUPREME COURT! A supreme court where Kavanaugh would be presiding over.

Just incase you are still not bought on the Kavanaugh's hypocrisy...this is something else he wrote in a Starr Report back when he was investigating Bill Clinton

"After reflecting this evening, I am strongly opposed to giving the President any 'break' ... unless before his questioning on Monday, he either i) resigns or ii) confesses perjury and issues a public apology to you [Starr]. I have tried hard to bend over backwards and be fair to him... In the end, I am convinced that there really are [no reasonable defenses]. The idea of going easy on him at the questioning is abhorrent to me ..."

LOL.

So if its a republican president: DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HIM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    But if its a democratic president: DON:T YOU DARE LET HIM OFF THE HOOK..for a consensual sexual affair.

--

So enough about Kavanaugh's hypocrisy. I just wonder if the Senate Democrats will have any backbone to stop all business involving this confirmation. I mean seriously. They did start on a good note with Chuck Schumer bringing up the very fact that after Justice Anonin Scalia died early 2016, Obama nominated Merrick Garland. Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell made up a rule that no Justices should be confirmed during an election year.

Well 2018 is an election year. Yet he no longer cares to stick to HIS RULE when its a republican president in office. The hypocrisy is mind blowing with these conservative leaders. Senate Democrats seemed to have backed away from pushing further on that point and I don't understand that.

As now the conversation is on the fact that Senate Democrats are hoping to pull over just 1 Senate republican to their side, which will be enough to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation. I just don't think the democrats have the spine to fight back.

The Republicans seem to always have the fight, even when the law isn't on their side or if they are on the wrong side of history. I just don't think they will have any will to block this nomination, just like the republicans did to Obama's pick. God help the progressives voters, if they are relying on Democrats to do the right thing here.

But anyways, I just wanted to voice my opinion based on the facts of what Kavanaugh is about. Trump picked him to save him from his upcoming indictments, where the US Supreme Court will have to make a decision on if a president can be indicted. With a guy like Kavanaugh, we all know what his opinion/vote would be.

djino

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Uberchampion and Athos like this.
  2. Yam Digger

Yam Digger Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Well, so much for the concept of an objective, independent judiciary.

3. observer

observer Moderator Moderator

Athos, djino and Karl Marx like this.
  4. CDNcrippler1

CDNcrippler1 Well-Known Member

Just when you thought this was an uber forum...

Andy3131, Yulli Yung and Karl Marx like this.
  5. loilae

loilae Active Member

And a "moderator" chipping in with an article by Vox.

Yulli Yung likes this.
  6. Karl Marx

Karl Marx Well-Known Member

We are going to witness a second civil war and it is already playing out. The country is evenly split. Americans can either look to their left or right and know that the person on either side of them could be a racist.

I think the special council has the goods on Trump and despite all the racism and evil this man has done in the name of all Americans, he will be turfed out of the Presidency, not for what he has done in his lead up to the GOP nomination and as President elect, but because of the "PEE PEE Tapes."

He is obviously a man who is mentally ill and as we know people who are unbalanced do very unpredictable things. That the GOP has not had him removed is frightening.

He will not go out gently!

This has to be one of the most interesting places on the entire web. Historians who study social history will look at this site TWENTY YEARS HENCE AND WILL HAVE A TREASURE TROVE OF INFO about the exploitation of Gig economy workers and more importantly how American workers were sucked out of the middle class by the elites, via Neoliberal policies. More amazing still will be that the elites didn't know, even in their wildest dreams, they would be so incredibly lucky and successful in "driving" workers down to such incredible and humble servitude.

Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan must be smiling in hell right now. The working class isn't even a mention or a thought in mainstream media or politics, who the **** in Washington or Ottawa gives a **** about an Uber driver or Amazon Warehouse worker.

I have abandoned FF and Twit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Andy3131

Andy3131 Well-Known Member

I tought this was an Uber forum....looks like some people try to make it a political propaganda forum.

8. i_k

i_k Well-Known Member

At this point I’m starting to think Trump is the new Teflon Don..

But thanks to Reaganomics, prisons turned to profits/ ‘cause free labour is the cornerstone of US economics...

Link to lyrics

9. Lolinator

Lolinator Well-Known Member

Uber ppl is allowed to share politics view????

I think that violates terms of services

10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No, it's just discussion off to the side. It's like banter in the fenced, bare-dirt ground of a caddy waiting area at a golf course. Sometimes we don't talk about golf. We're still caddies. You can ignore it if you want.

11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I take issue with your use of the word "elites" Karl MarxKarl Marx . It seems everyone blames elites these days, especially plutocrats who use it as a giant mirror the way a bad-guy super-villain would beam back rays of criticism. It is used by politicians for a vague scapegoating of whoever they want to vilify and it is used by the media to vaguely target any form of established group. People on the brink use it to transfer blame from themselves and it is used, above all, to short-cut thinking.

I don't think it is helpful to use 19th century Marxism to explain the Gig economy. While there is truth to the broad idea that the Gig economy is a working out of capitalism, the situation is so different now that we can't use much of Marxism to effect change. You talk about "..."driving" workers down to such incredible and humble servitude." but living conditions today, even for the very poor, are massively better than conditions in the 19th century. Marx and other revolutionaries of the period were counting on a crushing debasement, society wide, to power their revolution. It was expected to be violent and use instruments of violence that were available at the time. So, to take those points in order: 1. People are not so poor and, as individuals, have wide-ranging goals, 2. The working class is now a minority and it lacks unity and 3. violent revolution is practically impossible against a modern super-state.

I'm not saying we should all give up trying, just that violence, strikes and even general strikes are becoming less able to change things. We have seen some success with the Anti-war movement of the '60's and the Me-Too movement today. But we need something larger to fix the mess and that may be through seizing political control through democratic means.

I think it is important to encourage young people to vote. If we all worked at that we could make the changes. Talk to young people, tell them that their vote counts, work to change the idea of voting so that it becomes a duty and with a duty to know some of the issues. For the Americans, it goes without saying that Trump would be gone. Keep your eye on the prize, Americans: ordinary citizens would get proper health care, Citizens United would be overturned and in general, laws and benefits would not be so stacked in favour of the wealthy.

One final thought. We should be open to new methods. Crowd-funding and social-media methods of organizing are two things that come to mind.

Welcome observerobserver .

12. djino

djino Well-Known Member

Propaganda? Really? Is anything that I've written, found to be misleading in anyway?

I get that exposing the nonsense from that administration maybe hurtful to you, but I ask you to debate me on anything written that you disagree with, since you took the time to respond to this thread.

Yup. And Guess who clerked for Kennedy?

Both Neil Gorsuch (who Trump nominated and was confirmed last year to replace Antonin Scalia - stolen seat) and Brett Kavanaugh,

The corruption is just sooo in your face. Absolutely crazy.

djino

observer and Athos like this.
  13. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

If you don’t like the content of a thread, there is a very simple way of not seeing it....

Don’t click.

You if all people shouldn’t want a crackdown on off-topic threads.

babalu, Karl Marx, Yam Digger and 3 others like this.
  14. Lolinator

Politics is reiligion

Only good man going is dog ford

15. MUGATS

MUGATS Moderator Moderator

Dog Ford is all bark and no bite.

Things are gonna be Ruff in Ontario with him as top dog.

babalu, Karl Marx, i_k and 1 other person like this.
  16. Lolinator

He will make change happen starting will school courses and then finally beer in shops

Why only Montreal and quebec can do that ?? Make sense or it make cents??

17. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

Most first nominees never make it and also the democrats are so lost and messed up they can not stop it. Soooooo your guess is as good as mine.

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. djino

djino Well-Known Member

What do you mean? Last year Trump nominated Neil Gorsuch and he was confirmed with no problems.

Djino

tohunt4me and Athos like this.
  19. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

I was really surprised on that one. I think most of the time a president will have several pics in place because sometimes dirt happens.

tohunt4me likes this.
  20. LAS0023

LAS0023 Well-Known Member

Only 2 that come to mind in my lifetime are Harriet Miers and Robert Bork. That said, the title of this thread makes no sense. No matter how much backbone the Dems have they can't stop it. Kavanaugh's a mainstream Republican pick who'll get all 51 votes.

Karl Marx and Athos like this.