Trolls....

wgmartin

So, sitting here watching this forum all morning instead of working. Will pay the price for that one day I suppose. I was looking for another thread for my subject but got tired of looking for one. Here goes:

I returned from a trip last Friday (12th) and had the experience of setting up my first ride from IAH to Conroe. After I finally found the TNC pickup point I ordered my ride. Just after ordering a guy in a bronze colored SUV pulls up and tells me to cancel the ride request and he will take me. I looked at him for a second or two and then told him no, I didn't think that was the right thing to do; that I thought rides at IAH were based on a driver's place in line. He didn't like it. I didn't care.

On Sunday, I get a ping for an XL ride in the Woodlands. I show up, text the pax where I am and start looking around for them. Sure enough I see people with suitcases on the other side of the street and down a bit from the address I was given. They were talking to a guy in a black Jeep. Turns out he was trying to get them to cancel and let him take the ride. Luckily they were wanting a larger vehicle. They spotted me and waved and started heading my way. The other Uber driver jumps in his Jeep and takes off.

I watch this forum a lot and sometimes log on and I am just wondering; is this something that should be reported to Uber (not that I believe they would do anything, but..) and am I wrong to think that is the wrong way to do things? I can understand some one trying to hustle rides but to try to get the customer to cancel on a driver who is on the way. That seems pretty crappy to me.

Thoughts?

jmx215

The more reason I can't wait to be done with this gig. I'm only doing it because it gives me the flexibility to work on my resume, apply for jobs, be readily available for interviews, etc. All the while gaining little money to make ends meet. Unemployment funds ran out, and working somewhere else won't give me that flexibility. Plus, I can study and improve on IT skills on the freetime and downtime while waiting for rides.
Thanks being said, its ridiculous, all the dishonesty from Uber and drivers wrongful actions. I mean, really? Stealing airport rides??? Wow...

Trebor

These are gypsy cabs. They have been around since ancient Egyptian times. There is not too much you can do, but at the airport you can report it to one of the airport operations officers or maybe even a police officer/ground transportation office at the terminals. if you see them or you can report them to the ARA, although since htey did not see it, there is not much you can do.

jmx215

These are gypsy cabs. They have been around since ancient Egyptian times. There is not too much you can do, but at the airport you can report it to one of the airport operations officers or maybe even a police officer/ground transportation office at the terminals. if you see them or you can report them to the ARA, although since htey did not see it, there is not much you can do.
What about sneakily taking a pic of their plate and report HAS?

Trebor

What about sneakily taking a pic of their plate and report HAS?

You can, and by all means should, but there is still not much they can do unless they catch them in the act. Although, maybe they can keep an eye out for them.

P.S. Airport operations = HAS

Do you have an email for HAS by any chance? I would love to send some photos I have.

jmx215

You can, and by all means should, but there is still not much they can do unless they catch them in the act. Although, maybe they can keep an eye out for them.

P.S. Airport operations = HAS

Do you have an email for HAS by any chance? I would love to send some photos I have.
I don't have there email

Trebor

You can e-mail airport operations at [email protected]

But does that truly go to airport ops? THere is a reason why we have a ARA permit and then a HAS permit.

Happens often, usually at busy hotels doing airport runs. By the uber black & suv class.

jmx215 , if you see these guys doing it, I think its pretty legit since they carry commercial insurance (you can tell these guys apart by 1) cars will be nicer/black of course, but 2) they have the diamond stickers.

Although, I do not know the rules when it come to them soliciting rides at the airport. I know, it is forbidden for us regular TNC folk to solicit/leave our cars unattended, even though diamond sticker holders can go inside the terminal to meet their customers. Although, in the orginal post, it looks like we were referring to a bronze color suv and a jeep. Both which do not qualify for diamond stickers.

You're right... It's a pretty crappy thing to do. I also agree with you in that Uber could care less if you reported them. My guess is that they would give you some canned passive response giving you the impression that they do care and that you are doing a great job driving for them and how your riders love you. You know the drill. Perhaps you could report driver(s) to COH and/or HAS since its more regulated (if the pickup occurs in H-Town limits). They may need more proof for further action, but at least you would be putting them on notice. May be worth a try if/when that sort of thing comes up again.

tripAces

It is illegal if they are with Uber. "Street Hails" as it is called is used by taxi's.
Uber has told all cities their driver's will use the app to pickup. But of course you have 2 bit p.o.s people that circumvent things.
When I use to drive I would spot this downtown and report to uber.com. They actually if they want to can go back and see how far a driver was from a ping to ascertain if it was a street hail.

At the airport if the driver soliciting doesn't have a Airport Sticker. Report to the police or someone offical at the airport, ie license plate. If they do still report.

UsedToBeAPartner

I was having issues with my destination filter last week and I stopped and asked some riders I saw, after passing them twice, where they were headed. I had IAH set as my destination but they were headed for Hobby. I just could not figure out how it was possible for them to still be there after taking a 2nd trip around the block. While I was talking to them (not a solicitation) the other Uber showed up and they got the ride they requested. A couple of days later Uber released a new update that fixed the problems I have described in another thread. If these riders had said they were going to IAH I would have scooped them up claiming that the Uber software was F'd up and the Uber who pulled up a couple of seconds later would have been really pissed! Again, that was not the situation but you really can't trust Uber to look out for you. You have to look out for yourself.

darkshy77

Some are deactivated drivers anyways... They still have the stickers and permit to look legitimate but they kicked off the app. Supposedly there are some fake stickers I've never seen on even when We've ran TNC lot at my day job