Trick to avoid surge...or?

Dallas007

Last night for an Uber trip from Love Field to Mansfield:
This trip started at Love Field (DAL) during a surge period. The initial ping came in on a street adjacent to the airport but passenger called immediately and said they were at the terminal. Prior to the trip the entire airport area was Red with approximately 2X surge and when the ping came in the area in the 'ping circle' was red... so why wasn't this trip fare calculated with surge included? Pax said this was their first trip so he didn't request it properly ...? (but they had taken Uber to DAL as well...) Or was this placing the pin just outside of the Love Field surge area (on Denton Drive) and then immediately calling the driver to redirect to the terminal? I asked for a fare review based on where i picked up vs. where the pin was ... this would be a ~$30 difference. (no wonder pax left a $20 tip... which seemed a bit unusual; even though I did have mini water bottles :smiles:

financeguy13

Maybe it was the GPS on their phone giving an incorrect location. If they called you right away it could mean they were deceptive or just observant to an incorrect pin. Hey wouldn't the rider save the airport pickup fee too, ha ha.

I've gotten to where I verify the surge on the rider summary page (wherever the upper left corner takes you, where you can disable future trip requests). Then take a screenshot for reference.

Dallas007

They did not adjust; but they did confirm that they 'have my back 100%" :smiles:

This is Jayesh from Uber Support Team, your personal assistant today. Thanks for writing in. It’s a pleasure to help.
At the time this ride request was made, the pickup location was not located in a surge zone. Surge pricing was not available for this trip.
Surge pricing is dictated by the demand for rides in a particular area. In every city, surge pricing changes in real time.
Please note that surge pricing for a trip depends on the rider's pickup location at the time of request. Surge pricing for a trip does not take your vehicle location into account.
Although we cannot perfectly predict when and where surge will occur, we do our best to share what we know, when we know.
I hope this clarifies your concern. Always keep in mind that we got you back 100% and we value you as a partner. Enjoy your trips with Uber and be safe always. Any issues and concerns arise, we're just an email away.
I replied to Jayesh:
So as this is a known technique by riders to move the pin into a lower / no surge area; what recommendation do you have when this happens… e.g. pax moves the pin ; then calls and says I’m at xyz… which is in the surge area?

miggity

yep you got taken advantage of.. Bet he felt bad during the ride hence the tip.. I guess it worked out but if the ride does not say surge pricing at time of acceptance UBER will not give it to you...period.

Cary Grant

This has happened to me about 10 times. I show up at the pin at one of the FBOs on Lemmon, or at one of the offices on the west side of Love, and when I call, they say they are at Network Transportation. I tell them they need to cancel, and then I write them up with Uber. Their intentional pinning outside the airport is fraud, no different than theft or burglary. I refuse to be mugged by cheap wankers.

Adnek

This has happened to me about 10 times. I show up at the pin at one of the FBOs on Lemmon, or at one of the offices on the west side of Love, and when I call, they say they are at Network Transportation. I tell them they need to cancel, and then I write them up with Uber. Their intentional pinning outside the airport is fraud, no different than theft or burglary. I refuse to be mugged by cheap wankers.

I'm glad you all posted this I never thought about a rider doing that. I'll defiantly be aware. I bet they are uber drivers hahaha