Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Travis keeps telling peoole not to tip

Tips 
7K views 144 replies 27 participants last post by  Uberfunitis 
#1 · (Edited)
He is Satan incarnate. by the way this was today, I signed up with my previous cell phone and another number and fake name it was very easy and I'm sure a lot of pax do it, all you need is a cell number that accepts texts to get a code.
Green Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

See less See more
#2 ·
I see nothing wrong with the sign saying no tip. It has been a consistent message from him from the start he hates tips, I hate tips also. He is no longer saying that the tip is included though or preventing anyone from saying that while a tip is not required I would like for you to give me one if you don't mind. I honestly don't think he was wrong in saying that tips are included though the court disagreed with him.

I love the idea of no tips required, and hope that it catches on with more companies in the future.

#3 ·
I see nothing wrong with the sign saying no tip. It has been a consistent message from him from the start he hates tips, I hate tips also. He is no longer saying that the tip is included though or preventing anyone from saying that while a tip is not required I would like for you to give me one if you don't mind. I honestly don't think he was wrong in saying that tips are included though the court disagreed with him.

I love the idea of no tips required, and hope that it catches on with more companies in the future.
and 96% or tipped employees would quit working and prices would go up to make up for it. Right now if I got 20% on every ride I still would not be making any income after deducting my dead miles and claiming the tips as income, that's how badly the pay per mile and minute is.

#4 ·
Sure prices would go up, I do not doubt that, I have no problem with that. I do not believe that they would end up going up by as much as the average expected tip though as market pressure would keep prices down.

The IRS per mile rate is far too generous and not reflective of reality and the actual cost of operating the vast majority of vehicles use for Uber, especially Uber X.

#5 ·
Sure prices would go up, I do not doubt that, I have no problem with that. I do not believe that they would end up going up by as much as the average expected tip though as market pressure would keep prices down.

The IRS per mile rate is far too generous and not reflective of reality and the actual cost of operating the vast majority of vehicles use for Uber, especially Uber X.
But that's just not true. If I have a low speed fender bender or am run off the road and my airbags go off, first of all if a driver is in the front seat they may be injured. If they are not in the front seat the sensor won't activate it. If I have to replace that airbag it can cost me $1000 and that's more Revenue (not income) after gas that I have made driving in 6 weeks. There are a lot of variables built into that rate and drivers in most places can not make even $1 an hour, plus the government does not give freebies, they lowered it .5 cents this year. While it is an average and lower cost vehicles make out better it's still a real number to go by. People are online for 400 hours a month to make $800 in revenue before gas in many places. I've been online a whole day without a ping and one Saturday I only did one ride for $4.

The fact still is that Uber does not pay me a penny of income after deductions. Trust me the government wants us to pay taxes but Uber rates are too low, so Uber is screwing the IRS too

#7 ·
I oppose tips in that I would rather just pay more for the item then pay a tip.

However, while the price is artificially low, tips can be the tipping point in not just Uber and Lyft, but other professions like Wait Staff.

I would much rather go to a restaurant and pay 20% more upfront then have to worry about a tip, but not tipping before that price increase doesn't solve the problem.

Likewise, at $0.75 a mile, it is an artificially low price that requires tipping. I'd gladly not worry about tipping if the rates were higher, equal to Select rates of $2.00 a mile. I am not stressed over whether a Select pax tips or not because I know the rate is acceptable, but with a non-Surge X it's necessary.

Not tipping your X uber driver is akin to just not tipping your wait staff because you disagree with the act of tipping and would rather pay more. Well, until they are being paid more, tip.

#8 · (Edited)
Hell no, the ONLY reason I will tip wait staff is if I am going back to that establishment and don't want my food spat in. Uber drivers don't have that leverage so no tip for them. Also on Uber you have the company saying NO TIP Required, the company thinks they pay enough not to require tips who am I to argue with that as a consumer, who does not like to tip anyways.

Additionally I would argue that the compensation for Uber drivers is high enough not to require a tip, this can be seen by the over saturation of drivers. If it were hard to get a ride because people were not willing to drive for the given rate than I would agree that the pay should be higher. As it stands now even at base rates there does not seem to be a problem finding a car to take you from point A to B. I have only ever had a problem with pool getting a ride and that was only once.

#14 ·
So now we have two cheerleaders on board the no tip brigade. From now on, we just tell bartenders, waiters, shoe shiners, etc. That Travis and uberfunitis said no tip necessary. Somebody find uberfunitis; take a ride, sit in front and as you near end of ride, get your wallet out and start counting your cash like you are going to tip him. Naturally, tip him with 5 Stars...appreciate the ride and conversation...see ya'

#15 ·
No he gets no tip and 1 star and all demerits for professionalism etc. Lets see how big an Uber cheerleader he is when Uber cans him for low ratings.

By the way he will never add tipping on the app unless he is forced to by all the execs and investors and other inside threats of all quitting. He is a win at all odds kind of person, and he had put his foot down and decided that tipping the drivers is a bad thing, to him it's a game that he won't lose. So the only way he will do it is if he is forced to like NY is trying to do.

#22 ·
I honestly don't think he was wrong in saying that tips are included though the court disagreed with him.
If you don't like tipping, that's fine. Don't tip. But how can you possibly say that you don't see anything wrong with lying to your customers about tips being included? That's ridiculous. I get that you're cheap, but you can't possibly be that stupid to think there's nothing wrong with it.
Statements like that make you lose all credibility in any other arguments you're trying to make here.

#24 ·
It is not really lying though to say that tips are included in the price. All that is saying is that you believe that the compensation provided is sufficient at the price point given not to require a tip. One can argue that the compensation is not high enough and should be greater but there is nothing factually incorrect to say that the tip is included. All that "tips are included" means really is that his compensation to the drivers is not making an assumption that you will tip and factoring that into what he is going to pay us.

#23 ·
Why is travis so anti-tipping? It isn't costing him a penny if the passenger tips. In fact if he said something along the lines of "Tips aren't required but are greatly appreciated" and more people tipped his drivers would be happier and treating their passengers better resulting in more rides.

I won't pick up passengers more than a half mile away since most people don't tip. If I knew I had a really good chance at a tip I would probably expand my pick up area resulinting on more rides and more money for Uber. I'm not going to drive three miles to risk a minimum trip fare that might be the opposite direction of my house with no tip

#26 ·
Why is travis so anti-tipping? It isn't costing him a penny if the passenger tips. In fact if he said something along the lines of "Tips aren't required but are greatly appreciated" and more people tipped his drivers would be happier and treating their passengers better resulting in more rides.
Travis is making a gamble that more people will use the service if the price is lower, that does make him more money as he charges a flat fee for each ride in addition to distance and time. If people feel that they need to tip that will be factored into the price when they make their determination to take an Uber or some other form of transportation. I know I look at the price of Uber / Uber pool / Lyft / Via / and metro / bus when deciding to take a ride. I usually take the lowest price option that fits into my time constraints.

#27 ·

Lmao, shee-it.

#28 ·

And I hope I pick you up as a rider because I definitely need to give you a one

#34 ·
The reason he changed it to "Tips are not required", was because he was proved to be liar in court and ordered to stop saying tip is included when it is in fact not.
So now he can't fool pax into thinking they don't have to tip because it's included, so he changed his tactic to simply discouraging it.
While I don't like this new tactic, legally there is nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately his lies did a lot of damage. To this day, many think it's still included. Hopefully after this explanation you wont still be one of them.

#35 ·
You are getting in legalese I am not a lawyer so can not give a legal opinion about any of it that is simply not my field. However from a normal passenger standpoint there is no difference between the two statements. Tips are not required from a passenger perspective the exact same thing as saying that they are included the bottom line assertion is you do not need to tip to use this service.

#50 · (Edited)
I oppose tips in that I would rather just pay more for the item then pay a tip.

However, while the price is artificially low, tips can be the tipping point in not just Uber and Lyft, but other professions like Wait Staff.

I would much rather go to a restaurant and pay 20% more upfront then have to worry about a tip, but not tipping before that price increase doesn't solve the problem.

Likewise, at $0.75 a mile, it is an artificially low price that requires tipping. I'd gladly not worry about tipping if the rates were higher, equal to Select rates of $2.00 a mile. I am not stressed over whether a Select pax tips or not because I know the rate is acceptable, but with a non-Surge X it's necessary.

Not tipping your X uber driver is akin to just not tipping your wait staff because you disagree with the act of tipping and would rather pay more. Well, until they are being paid more, tip.
I don't oppose tips. If I can't afford to tip I won't use that service. If I want food I will get Chinese take out and eat at home. Otherwise I will go to a cheap buffet eat all I want for a set price and leave at least 20%. You don't have to tip. Just don't go to establishment where you are expected to tip.

Right now the only place I go to where I feel the need to tip is the dog groomers to get my dogs nails cut. It's $5 each (cheapest place I've ever been to, I've paid as much as $10 each, for small dogs. , they dremmel which I prefer as well as the dogs and I pay $10 plus $4 tip.

If you want to take a taxi which is what Uber is, tip or walk, take a bus, or get a bike.

Last time I went to a restaurant with a friend we tipped 20%, the server was trying to rush us out but we were talking and the place was not busy. Anyway we paid in cash and it was clear the the difference was for him as a tip and this punk kid must have not thought that 20% was enough he returns it in the brown folder. We should have just taken it back and kept it. I worked as a server before and we depend on return business. If we ever told a customer that they didn't tip or didn't tip enough we would be fired and yes there were tables of 4 that would tip $2 and didn't know that anything was wrong with it, it was part of the job, overall it balanced out.

#51 ·
I had a rider this morning tell me she would be happy to tip me for waiting while she figured out how to set her alarm and then stopping at a store so she could run in and get cigarettes, but, she said, "I know Uber tells us not to tip." Well, I corrected and educated her right there! Lol. She gave me an $8 tip on a $19 fare. And 5 stars. We have our hands full trying to educate riders about tips, 4 star and below ratings, fare differences, and so on without having to try to educate other drivers on why tips are good. Uberfunitis, I just don't get you, and I'm glad that I don't think like you. Carry on your merry no-tipping way!

#52 ·
The problem is Travis says no tip no cash and people think we are required to make stops and are paid for them. To me when someone runs into a store for 2 minutes I don't care about the 18 cents I can make I would rather not do the stop. I do free work by driving them, I don't want to do extra free work by making stops.

#58 ·
I get asked if they can tip on the app and I say no you cant which is good .and they ask why I said by the time uber takes therte cut and uncle sam id be luckey to get a quarter of it . I tell them I wouldn't want the tip then they tip me in cash uber gets enough money I mean there only a billion dollar company only reason I even do it I'm disabled n pay dr bills plus disability don't pay anything so atlest I can work 40 hrs in a month on weekends n make 1400 a month

#65 ·
That's what I'm thinking as well. Why would someone that drives for Uber be opposed to tipping drivers????
I am an Uber driver who is against tipping, because tipping has gotten out of control. Everywhere you go and everything you do someone has their hand out wanting additional money for doing their job. Not only is the notion that I should be tipped spreading to more and more occupations the percent amount that is expected of the tip keeps creeping up.

I simply refuse to take part in this scam any longer. Tips are supposed to supplement income, but many times the people getting the tips are making more than anyone realizes. Tips are turning many jobs that should be low paying jobs into above average paying jobs simply because everyone feels sorry for the low paid worker who is making more than them but that fact is hidden. Additionally tips especially cash tips are many times not reported for tax purposes.

I feel I would come out ahead if I were not to receive tips, but also were not expected to pay them out to everyone and their brother. As I have said before sure prices would go up but not by the amount that people are being tipped currently in the end I would have more money in my pocket, and that is why I am an Uber driver who is against tips.

#67 ·
. Additionally tips especially cash tips are many times not reported for tax purposes.

How many millionaires that work for cash tips do you know? Anyone who works for cash tips puts that money back into the economy, billionaire hoarders are not paying their fair share of taxes and not putting the money back into the economy, it's just a numbers game to see who can die with the most money.

#66 ·
He is Satan incarnate. by the way this was today, I signed up with my previous cell phone and another number and fake name it was very easy and I'm sure a lot of pax do it, all you need is a cell number that accepts texts to get a code.
View attachment 120914
Drawn and Quartered comes to mind.

Perhaps, Broken on the Wheel.

Attachments

#72 ·
I actually do advocate for wages to go up, I think they should in many cases. I however do not advocate for some law that would define some minimal living wage let the free market determine what that living wage should be. If people would stop taking jobs that do not pay them what they feel they need to live on than employers would pay what is needed and raise prices as needed to maintain profit. Likewise though if my expenses are low or I have income from other sources I should be able to determine for myself that I am willing to work at a price point that others may not be able too.

#75 ·
Never said it was a perfect world or system or one what would benefit anyone, it is the only one that allows the most freedom, both to make good and bad decisions.

Tips by law have to be given to the person getting them IN FULL. Since uber takes a percentage of everything, tips are clearly not part of our compensation. They HAVE to be a separate line item.

They are also generally voluntary, so if a customer wants to not tip, they can. To put in a tip regardless of the customers wishes it has to be stated clearly to the customer (like restaurants sometimes do with large parties, or Favor delivery does by having a minimum tip of $2 already added in.)
What law is it where it is required explicitly that tips be a separate line item? There are many establishments that have tip sharing policies or even places where tips are given and fees are taken also. For example a hair salon may charge a person working for the chair etc but still give tips to them even if the tip is offset with other associated fees. There are even restaurants that are advertising that tips are included starting to pop up. I am by no means an expert in law but would be interested in what exact law you are referencing.

#81 ·
I will also begin rating one star for professionalism while riding, whenever I see those obnoxious tip signs and jars.
Guy you hide behind the reasons you use for no tipping ignoring the one clear fact that the rest are telling you
" your a cheapo and nothing more"

Presses play to a song dedicated to you

The birds chirping cheap cheap cheapo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.