Transporting Unaccompanied Minors

UberMemphis

For some time now I have been getting ride requests from parents sending their kids places. Today was a 13-year old that flipped off, cussed and threatened a little girl as we left his apartment complex. The most extreme I've seen was a 7-year old I picked up at a daycare. His teacher brought him to the car. I have advised all of these parents on the phone that this is a violation of the terms of use for both rideshare services and every time told they do it every day. I can't find any good legal information online about this. I worry that I would be liable if I were involved in an accident with a minor in the car or possibly falsely accused of some wrong doing. I really want to stop carrying minors altogether but I hate to give up the rides in this market. If I were in Atlanta, New York etc, it would already be my policy. I'd like to hear everyone's experiences and what you do about it.

MemphisDave

For some time now I have been getting ride requests from parents sending their kids places. Today was a 13-year old that flipped off, cussed and threatened a little girl as we left his apartment complex. The most extreme I've seen was a 7-year old I picked up at a daycare. His teacher brought him to the car. I have advised all of these parents on the phone that this is a violation of the terms of use for both rideshare services and every time told they do it every day. I can't find any good legal information online about this. I worry that I would be liable if I were involved in an accident with a minor in the car or possibly falsely accused of some wrong doing. I really want to stop carrying minors altogether but I hate to give up the rides in this market. If I were in Atlanta, New York etc, it would already be my policy. I'd like to hear everyone's experiences and what you do about it.
It seems like I read something about an update to this policy in the (seemingly) never-ending series of policy changes, but I'll bet it can be found in the latest agreement. It's tough, as you wouldn't want to leave a sweet child on the side of the road without a ride (of course, and I'm sure would not). However, if you feel at all uncomfortable with the situation, my first instinct would be to advise the account holder (or the adult waiting with the child) that you cannot, as far as you understand, transport that child under Uber policy (and don't ho-hum about it...that's the deal - period).

Although different in many ways, it's similar to the stance that I often have to take when my Expedition (in which I can transport seven passengers - one for each seatbelt), I'm asked to carry eight or nine passengers. Sometimes they practically beg, offer tempting cash tips, etc. NO! The liability far outweighs the benefits.

I had to make a tough call recently when I went on an unusually long pick-up (close to 15 mins) for an XL ride. I arrived and they had two children that (without a doubt) were too small/yomng to be without child seats. They were leaving a restaurant and (presumably) headed home. I had to cancel the ride and the mom was pissed, but it would have been 100 percent on me if we had an accident or were stopped by the police. So...I lost 15 mins of my time and a fare...small price to pay!

Last edited:

Dekero

I drive in Memphis, and I have many minors try to ride(A few sneak thru because they look older) but if I know they are minors, or in the scenarios you mention. NOPE I do not take them PERIOD, Insurance will not cover them and regardless of what the parent/account holder says... They will sue your ass if something happens... So my advise...

Explain this to them, let them pitch a shit fit, then...WAIT 5, COLLECT YOUR CANCELLATION FEE, AND DRIVE OFF..

And for the ones that say well I'm not paying a cancel fee... UMM Yes you are cuz I drove over here and wasted my gas and you knew it was wrong. BUT you have to wait 5 minutes till the timer counts down, with LYFT you will also have to make sure you attempted to call the account holder.. even if you just let it ring a few times and hang up... The app has to see the call attempt.

I am getting my 5 bux (3.75+ on Uber) I did what I'm supposed to do.

LASTLY, I do recommend pulling down the block a little to wait out the timer, unless the user goes ahead and cancels which ensures you get paid the cancellation.

As for you drivers that are taking all these MINORS. In Memphis, thanks for making my job harder... And I wish you luck in court when you do finally have that accident.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps