Transportation of minors

Shan

I know we've all had the pings from the kiddos this summer, and besides seeming nervous, they've all seemed harmless to this point. I'm nervous about this though. 1) They are too independent. Parents may not realize they are going somewhere, much less using Uber. 2) Parents may not know where their child is REALLY going and 3) What if something happens to the child and the last contact they had with anyone was an Uber driver?
Just thinking aloud.....

just drive

Funny i had a 14 year old girl request a ride yesterday .I pull up ask how old she is. Trll her she can't use uber. Send the note to uber. And this time they said it's up yo me if i don't feel comfortable i don't have to give the ride. I asked why the guy was contradicting the user agreement and sent him the paragraph about it. Waiting on answer.

nighthawk398

Funny i had a 14 year old girl request a ride yesterday .I pull up ask how old she is. Trll her she can't use uber. Send the note to uber. And this time they said it's up yo me if i don't feel comfortable i don't have to give the ride. I asked why the guy was contradicting the user agreement and sent him the paragraph about it. Waiting on answer.
maybe a CSR that doesn't know the agreement?

Desert Driver

Look, there's really no additional liability transporting kids. 99% of Uber drivers are driving without insurance, so why give a shit how old the pax is?

FYI - boarding schools in this area recommend students use U/L when leaving campus.

Last edited:

McGillicutty

Please post his response after you hear back. I'm sure he rattled off that answer to you without even knowing that is addressed in the user agreement.

KMANDERSON

I know we've all had the pings from the kiddos this summer, and besides seeming nervous, they've all seemed harmless to this point. I'm nervous about this though. 1) They are too independent. Parents may not realize they are going somewhere, much less using Uber. 2) Parents may not know where their child is REALLY going and 3) What if something happens to the child and the last contact they had with anyone was an Uber driver?
Just thinking aloud.....
Don't take the risk uber want stand bye you if something happens

KMANDERSON

Same email I got from uber when that happened to me sure is alot if grey area with uber

Liz_C

No offence but those you driving around minors are asking for trouble all it takes is for you to do one thing "wrong" and that minor will stay you DID SOMETHING to them.. Not worth it.. Luckily for me I've never had a minor ping me and luckily since I call every passenger before I get them if I hear it's a minor on the other end immediate cancel of their ride

Desert Driver

No offence but those you driving around minors are asking for trouble all it takes is for you to do one thing "wrong" and that minor will stay you DID SOMETHING to them.. Not worth it.. Luckily for me I've never had a minor ping me and luckily since I call every passenger before I get them if I hear it's a minor on the other end immediate cancel of their ride
That's what dashcams are for. Logically speaking, there is no greater risk carry minors than adults. The local boarding schools here tell their student to use Uber/Lyft when traveling off campus. I am more than happy to take those pings. The kids are courteous, respectful, and most have been taught the art of tipping. And just to keep things on the up and up I use a dual channel dashcam.

Cary Grant

I asked my attorney about this earlier this year. His advice was to not take pax under age 14 without a parent, and no kids under 8 without a car seat, even though there's an statutory exemption (affirmative defense) to the traffic offense when the transportation is "for hire." His reasoning is that while the criminal issue is easily resolved using facts, the liability issue never goes away, so the short answer was to avoid the risk, or minimize it as much as possible.

I'm pretty sure I've hauled some teens around. When I pick up a carload of girls on McKinney after midnight to take them home in Highland Park, and one is crying because the bouncer took her fake ID, and her friend says "I'll get you a new one before second hour on Monday," it's obvious (and then they talk about going to college as freshmen...next year!). Until they talk, though, one cannot easily tell they are that young. They blend with the college kids and young adults, in my opinion.

Most of them are polite, even deferential. I've had no real issues. YMMV

I've heard of the "Uber babysitting" scheme/scam, and after consulting with my attorney on that, I won't be taking kids to the mall or movies, and waiting on them, under any circumstance.

RockinEZ

I get a ping to an address in Del Mar. I get there and it is three 16 year old boys. I look around for a real pax and they start over to the car. "Are you Matt?" I asked. "Yes" was the reply.
I let them know they were too young to use Uber, and I rolled. I let them CXL.

Desert Driver

I get a ping to an address in Del Mar. I get there and it is three 16 year old boys. I look around for a real pax and they start over to the car. "Are you Matt?" I asked. "Yes" was the reply.
I let them know they were too young to use Uber, and I rolled. I let them CXL.
Were they unruly? Did they look threatening? Did they threaten you in any way? Did they make you feel unsafe? Were they inebriated?

Liz_C

Were they unruly? Did they look threatening? Did they threaten you in any way? Did they make you feel unsafe? Were they inebriated?
It doesn't matter they were MINORS he did the right thing telling them no ride because they are minors and going for another fare...

tnkvick

Anyone who transports a minor is breaking the rules, it clearly states on the rider agreement under 18 parent/guardian. How can a 4 dollar ride be worth your future?

1. Uber will not have your back if something happens, because you broke the rule.
2. The courts will believe a minor over you if they say you did something to them.
3. Why risk the liability

I have sent a few emails to uber on this matter, they should have a cancel option for minors and make it mandatory 10 bux. Send the account a copy of user agreement with the part of under 18 highlighted. If they do that I bet the minor issue would go away.