Traffic changes plaguing SF drivers

Lyft_94110

It was gridlock last week in the Financial District and Union Square areas during the afternoon and long into the evening. The explanation is here:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/The-traffic-change-that-s-contributing-to-SF-7122054.php

In summary, drivers going toward the Bay Bridge aren't allowed to turn left off 2nd St. anymore. Seems a small change, but we saw the results last week (and will continue to see it). Really bad.

Also, along Mission Street between Division and 29th, there are many new traffic restrictions. These include mandatory right turns for northbound drivers at Cesar Chavez -- and if you ignore that, a mandatory right turn at 26th St., the next intersection. This is causing long backups on northbound (inbound) Mission St. at Cesar Chavez.

Finally, they're thinking about completely closing Valencia Street between Cesar Chavez and Mission (i.e. the southern end of Valencia) to all through traffic except Muni. So eventually that's not going to be an alternative. I can't find an online description of this project, but I read about it a couple months ago.

Lyft_94110

Last edited:

Silent_Philosodriver

Yeah, agreed. Last Friday I nearly lost my shit in the Financial District in the AM reluctantly (what good is a surge where due to traffic you can only do 1 ride an hour?!?) I usually avoid it. Had a Pax from Pac Heights going there. (took an extra 10 min than usual) Then, I picked a ping literally a block away that took 10 min to get to and another 25 min to get out of the area. 6 miles covered in 45 min. And the construction makes FiDi something close to driving in ThunderDome. I just couldn't deal with it again, I turned off app, drove my sorry ass to the Sunset District, back on and stayed there driving the rest of the AM. That, plus the miserable condition of most city streets in SF. If I could, I would drive a 4-cab F150 Pickup truck lifted, because the streets are so f**king rough.

manuellsam

It was gridlock last week in the Financial District and Union Square areas during the afternoon and long into the evening. The explanation is here:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/The-traffic-change-that-s-contributing-to-SF-7122054.php

In summary, drivers going toward the Bay Bridge aren't allowed to turn left off 2nd St. anymore. Seems a small change, but we saw the results last week (and will continue to see it). Really bad.

Also, along Mission Street between Division and 29th, there are many new traffic restrictions. These include mandatory right turns for northbound drivers at Cesar Chavez -- and if you ignore that, a mandatory right turn at 26th St., the next intersection. This is causing long backups on northbound (inbound) Mission St. at Cesar Chavez.

Finally, they're thinking about completely closing Valencia Street between Cesar Chavez and Mission (i.e. the southern end of Valencia) to all through traffic except Muni. So eventually that's not going to be an alternative. I can't find an online description of this project, but I read about it a couple months ago.

Do we know if google maps or waze have implemented the changes :frown:

2nd st is easy I have seen the signs so am ready for it , I haven't let a rider make me make an illegal turn and will keep saying no

am concerned about that mandatory turn on Cesar will drive by today and check it out

That horn ?! 1 time is enough !!!!!!!!!

hackajar

As of last week Google has NOT updated. Just go up to Bryant, as with a pax, you have carpool :wink: left still OK there

Uberdancer

Mission Street in SF, from 25th to 19th, is now off limits, with the signs illustrating only buses, taxis, trucks, bikes being the exceptions (at least if there is an infraction involving a bike we'll know it wasn't a rideshare car) ... all other vehicles must make a right turn off of Mission...just like that stretch of Market between 10th and 9th Streets...

Uberdancer

Here's the article ... http://missionlocal.org/2016/02/heads-up-major-traffic-changes-coming-to-mission-street/

By Laura Wenus Posted February 15, 2016

Transit riders and drivers alike should brace themselves for some significant changes coming to Mission Street’s traffic rules, some coming as early as this month.

As of Friday, 14 and 49 buses have eliminated stops at 15th, 19th, 21st and 23rd streets. Over the next two months, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency will paint red transit-only lanes all along the corridor. Finally, between March and April, left turns will be prohibited all along the Mission Street corridor, from 14th Street to Cesar Chavez Street, and right turns will be required at some intersections.

Starting in March, the agency will calm traffic along Mission Street by rolling out forced right turns away from Mission Street. Northbound car traffic (buses and bikes are exempt) on Mission Street will be required to turn right at 26th, 24th, 22nd 20th and 16th streets.

Until then, as the transit agency paints the red transit-only lanes, parking and loading zones along the curb will be temporarily unavailable in the stretches where crews are working. Bus stops may also be temporarily relocated, and though through traffic will be allowed, alternative routes are encouraged. The transit agency will post signs and notices for parking restrictions and bus stop changes prior to beginning construction.

NASCAR1991

Mission Street in SF, from 25th to 19th, is now off limits, with the signs illustrating only buses, taxis, trucks, bikes being the exceptions (at least if there is an infraction involving a bike we'll know it wasn't a rideshare car) ... all other vehicles must make a right turn off of Mission...just like that stretch of Market between 10th and 9th Streets...
So with all those shit we actual cars will be able to use only side streets lile mina or some shit like that. While 3 taxis thay sf has will be flying through the big streets

Silent_Philosodriver

OMFG.... SF's streets are turning into Mogadishu's level of care and organization. And some Pax wont be happy when a missed turn in Mission turns into a 10-12 min arrival time. Cesar Chavez/Highway Entrance will turn into a Quagmire too according to this.