Trade Dress for Uber and Lyft at the same time

Joe Knob

In California, if you work for both Uber and Lyft , are you allowed to display both companies' trade dress(es?) while you have both apps running and online?

Having to change the trade dress on the front and back windshields every time you get a call from the platform that isn't the dress you are displaying would be extremely annoying , at the very least.

What is the law in California regarding this?

and

What recommendations can you offer regarding this ?

...(Personally, being undressed just seems to feel better.. ;-)

valor

You can have both up normally, but only one up on LAX airport property.

My setup is based on the Lyft magnetic glowstache mount. I have nothing affixed to any windshield. My uber sign is stuck to a piece of cardboard with a magnet at the bottom. I can switch logos while seat belted, and I remove it when I go offline. It technically breaks the rules, but the rules are incompatible with dual platform driving.

Jeanreau

Nope. Only one allowed at a time or you can get fined. Read the rules gents. So many of you out there running both trade dresses. Your gonna get spanked with a $1000 fine.

Joe Knob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really? $1000 for having a sticker on your window that your company told you needs to be displayed?
To say this seems unreasonable is an understatement. Looks like a money grab to me. Could be fought in court . I'd like to hear from anyone who received this $1000 fine (for double dress display) or knows anybody who has?

Until this f--k-ery is resolved, I'm just going to display the Uber trade dress unless it's a Lyft airport pickup..

Joe Knob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nope. Only one allowed at a time or you can get fined. Read the rules gents. So many of you out there running both trade dresses. Your gonna get spanked with a $1000 fine.
Where can I read these "rules" ? Link ?

valor

Edit: I'm in Los Angeles, is it different in San Diego?

Can you reference CPUC rules that say you can't have Uber & Lyft trade dress up simultaneously? (while off LAX property).

Where can I read these "rules" ? Link ?
I found this, it's not as official as I was hoping, but it's something:
http://ubermovement.com/cpuc-video/

These regulations are basically insinuating that we're only going to be running a single rideshare app at a time. Like "Today I'm gonna drive for Uber, but tomorrow for Lyft." That concept ignores the fact that we're independent contractors and can choose or deny clients as we choose. I don't know about you guys, but I keep Uber & Lyft on simultaneously to maximize my earnings. Once I pick up a passenger I turn the other app off. It's unrealistic to think we're gonna be switching rear trade dress. I can only imagine the frustration of switching rear trade dress, having someone cancel on you, having to switch back, etc.

If dual trade dresses (off airport property) really isn't allowed, then we should all realize that there isn't any enforcement of these CPUC rules. I see dual trade dresses every single day, including on airport property. So I'm viewing this the same as the underage single rider rules. (Not supposed to transport minors, but we're not supposed to ask for ID or guess someone's age visually, making the rule unenforceable).

Luvnlifelady

My minor son used Uber a lot to get to/from school and never had anyone question his age (he was 15 at the time).

I didn't know about any dual trade dress rule. I have both but haven't done the dual thing yet. May try it out tomorrow. Lyft has been very slow during the day in north county.

Georgiboy

No one ever asks about the under age rule because no one knows about it. The only real way to find it about it is by taking to another driver whose been around a while.

Pesty

Why drive with dress on anyway.. the only place you "need" it is at the airport.

I get a good laugh when the dress is on backwards, wrong location and in some cases, taped to the outside of he glass.

Georgiboy

Why drive with dress on anyway.. the only place you "need" it is at the airport.

I get a good laugh when the dress is on backwards, wrong location and in some cases, taped to the outside of he glass.

I use the dress because it's not worth taking chances. California is desperately broke and the idea that they may need to generate money at some point is not unthinkable. They could easily start busting chops it of nowhere and collect a few million.

Pesty

It's not worth the risk on my insurance provider dropping me in the event of an accident for having a sticker in my window.

Now if they decide to allow coverage then I'll put it back up.

SurgeSurferSD

I roll with an uber sticker in front window passenger side (inside car lol) and an Amp in my cup holder until I pick up a Lyft ride. Nothing in the back window. I prefer minimizing free advertising.

Wombat7

It's not worth the risk on my insurance provider dropping me in the event of an accident for having a sticker in my window.

Now if they decide to allow coverage then I'll put it back up.
Assuming you don't have rideshare insurance?

I roll with an uber sticker in front window passenger side (inside car lol) and an Amp in my cup holder until I pick up a Lyft ride. Nothing in the back window. I prefer minimizing free advertising.
I minimize free advertising on everything that I wear. I'm almost OCD about it, have been for years.

But trade dress... not worth the potential hassle at SAN. Use the decals now; pull'em off and put'em on the floor at night.

sissypower

My ride is free of Trade Dress ... pax already have vehicle info & license plate # once making their request.

Pesty

Assuming you don't have rideshare insurance?
They don't offer it yet even after being told they need to offer it. There is not a single insurer that can match let alone beat my current rates. I've got 5 vehicles, jewelry and renters policy's that would be a major PIA to go with a new company.

Wombat7

They don't offer it yet even after being told they need to offer it. There is not a single insurer that can match let alone beat my current rates. I've got 5 vehicles, jewelry and renters policy's that would be a major PIA to go with a new company.
Most definitely would be a major pain but at the same time you have more to lose.

I use State Farm for rideshare which nothing more then a rider attached to a regular policy. I've got renter's, towing, uninsured, rental car, higher maximums and some other whistles and bells. $160/month.

Your company would drop you in a heartbeat if they found out you were driving U/L.

Pesty

Most definitely would be a major pain but at the same time you have more to lose.

I use State Farm for rideshare which nothing more then a rider attached to a regular policy. I've got renter's, towing, uninsured, rental car, higher maximums and some other whistles and bells. $160/month.

Your company would drop you in a heartbeat if they found out you were driving U/L.
Yes they will and that's why I've reduced my driving, dive like a gramma wth pax, took out everything that reflects driving including my camera signs until they do offer it. Once they offer it, I'm jumping on it and will happily put the dress back up and drive more.

MaddMaxx

How much jewelry coverage you have? What's your address and what times you usually out driving?

... Just curious is all :cool: