1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Trade Dress/Decals what do you do?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by reg barclay, Nov 9, 2018.

1. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you have them in your windshield?

Are they legally required where you drive?

Do you have permanent or removable ones?

What about switching between Uber and Lyft?

tohunt4me and DocT like this.
  2. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

I’ve been driving for 2+ years and have yet to display them. I have a placard available in the event of an airport pickup.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    RickGnVa, cdm813 and reg barclay like this.
  3. DocT

DocT Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes, both front and rear windshield per law. Front only goes on when near the pick-up and during active ride. Goes off when offline or during period (phase) 1.

Yes, it is required by law (CA), but LE doesn't enforce it. EXCEPTIONS, LAX PD.

Removable. I used to use my laminated trade dress on magnets to the windshield. Now, I've succumbed to the Beacon. Rear windshield still using the laminated trade dress on magnets when needed.

I only display 1 RS company at a time, and will switch over to the appropriate RS trade dress upon Period (phase) 2 and 3. I don't like to use up my windshield real estate for both RS's at a time.

reg barclay likes this.
  4. MHR

MHR Moderator

None needed in my territory, I love being incognito.

5. Zap

Zap

Driving:
    UberX
    On (trade dress, TNP emblem/CHAU license, airport placard) as required by ordinance. But, nothing illuminated.

reg barclay likes this.
  6. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Only front ones needed here. I use a clear pouch that sticks to the windshield, that one of the companies sent me a while ago. I keep both decals in it, with the one I'm currently driving for facing out. I originally intended to remove them when offline, but recently I can't be bothered and just leave them there.

7. I think they might be required in California. Not sure.

Either I stopped using them after the first month or so.

Rarely have a problem.

New2This and reg barclay like this.
  8. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

Suction cup trade dress hangs from my windshield. I put them up and take them back down several times a night when I need to be incognito.

BikingBob and reg barclay like this.
  9. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I only started using them after it became law here, but I found it helped when picking up pax in busy places.

Christinebitg likes this.
  10. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Laminated, including TNP licence. I display Uber TNP, have Lyft and Via in glove box. I found reuseable double sided tape made by 3m. So i can remove easily if needed.

reg barclay likes this.
  11. Blahgard

Blahgard

Nothing says third world like the Uber toilet seat and the Lyft toilette paper-looking logo.

Maybe if you were a professional driver, you wouldn’t have to have those crappy decals on your car?

12. Suction cups. Put them up on the weekends. Take them down when finished.

13. JimKE

JimKE

Only required here for airport and seaport pickups, but I use the lighted Uber Beacon on the front windshield all the time (magnet is semi-permanently attached). It helps with pickups and it takes 30 seconds to put it on at the beginning of the shift and take it down at the end. In two years and 2,000 rides, I've had no downside to having the Beacon displayed.

I have Lyft stickers, but don't use them (1 ride per week...why bother?)

14. Amp in front that I put up 1 block before I arrive and take down as soon as the pax is in my vehicle. I have a flip up/down placard in back that is always flipped down, but I could flip it up when legally required.

I have my front Uber sticker mounted on a placard that I can throw in my front dash when I'm making an Uber pickup.

99% of the time, I'm not displaying any trade dress when I'm driving. I believe that the only people that need to know I'm Ubering is the passenger and me.

15. cdm813

cdm813

Driving:
    UberX
    I drive in NH and MA. Required in MA, I don't display them. You get fined at Logan when you pick up without trade dress, so I don't do airport pickups (for that and many many other reasons).

16. theMezz

theMezz

Driving:
    UberX
    Laminated Card with Uber and Lyft on same card on windshield. Required in NY State, but I doubt if anyone cares.

NYC has it's own regs separate from the rest of the state of NY.

I asked some cops and they don't care anything about Uber of Lyft and have very little interest.

17. Pile them up in the glove compartment.

I take them out to wave at airport security if i do a pickup.

No need for it for drop offs

18. RickGnVa

RickGnVa

Driving:
    UberX
    When I do put it out there (for airport only) its usually the Lyft emblem only because it sticks better than the new POS FUBER decals....

tohunt4me likes this.
  19. Mine never touches the windshield.
    I wave it at security in my hand.
    Toss it on dashboard.
    Throw it in glove compartment Before i roll out.

20. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    No requirement here. I don't have them in my car.

tohunt4me likes this.