Tracking mileage

Reversoul

Before people start telling me about apps that track mileage, I'm already aware of them.

I use an app by turbo tax called intuit and I enter all miles manually because the auto feature never works properly.

Anyway, my question is do I need to list all of the the addresses of the fares? Since January I have only logged the miles of each trip. I list if the trip was a delivery or X fare.

When I get in the car to head out for the day, I note the mileage. When I get home after a day of driving I check the mileage again.

After I add up the miles of all the trips for the day, I enter it into the app. Then I subtract that total from the entire amount of miles driven that day. That's how I figure out how many miles I drove commuting to each fare and dead miles home. I input that number and label as dispatch/commuting.

I plan on doing the standard deduction, but like I said I don't enter addresses.

Am I doing this right or will I get red flagged?

Robertk

you can deduct deadhead mileage, and you don't have to record addresses.

so long as you are not recording huge mileage and small income chances of an audit are slim.

Reversoul

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They have no way of knowing if there are dead miles, right? With no addresses I can't imagine they would know the difference.

As long as I keep it within reason. Do you agree?

U have me a bit concerned now

Robertk

deadhead miles are a cost of doing business, and thus deductible. Just don't pad the miles on your logs for trips that are not business related and you should be fine.