TPA/TIA Illegal

Florida Arsenal

New to Uber, What's the true deal with Airport Pickups Drop offs? Is it illegal? How do I get around it? Is it worth the risk? Im going to start tonight. Is it illegal for both arrivals and departures?

meloman

Be very careful in Hillsborough County...you are risking getting ticketed. Still presently illegal to Uber/Timeshare in Hillsborough.

Ive been driving for awile and never even thought about it. I make sure my phone is in my lap at the airport and ask the pax to sit in the front.

It is "illegal" but honestly I dont think they care. Watch your speed limit through there though. There is a black SUV cop that will get you.

Is it worth it? Not really. You sometimes have 20+ minute waits. I do it sometimes if I wanna relax and read sometimes or if there is little/no demand in S. Tampa. You risk getting a $5 trip to S. Tampa but i've had trips as far as Brandon and made $35.

See what you like. Don't draw attention to yourself. No Uber stickers, mount on the window, shirt, etc. You'll be fine.

P.S. Most the people on this site hate Uber and are trolls. Be careful in the advise they give you.

Snowtop

Biggest concern about the Airport is occasionally they will run stings. Hard to tell when of if it is happening. They simply load the app on the phone and call for a ride. You show up and Bingo. In the past year it has only been confirmed to have happened twice.

This are taxi inspectors that write these tickets and not police or the yellow vest people that keep traffic moving. My understanding is that there are only 5 of these in the county and they tend to work mostly at the airport

I make plenty of deliveries to the airport and have picked up my share and have never had an issue.

Jollyrodger

If the rider is not willing to sit in the front seat, don't take the ride. Just tell them to get another Uber. No $10-15 trip is worth the potential hassle of getting a ticket.

Duane

at what point would you not take the ride? you've pulled up the the delta arrivals, after circling around. you got out and helped put their suitcase in the trunk. now they get in the back, you say BYEEEEEEE and throw the suitcase out of the trunk as you cancel in the app?

or do you text the pax when the request comes in?
me HEY IT'S DUANE FROM UBER, CAN YOU SIT IN THE FRONT?

them WHAT DOOR ARE YOU AT?

me I'M AT THE CELL PHONE LOT, CAN YOU SIT IN THE FRONT?

them HOW MUCH LONGER UNTIL YOU'RE HERE? I NEED TO RUN TO THE BATHROOM

Jollyrodger

I'm talking about a pickup and drive "TO" the airport. Not "At' the airport. I don't do pickups at the airport because u could be ticketed. I mean, duh?!

Florida Arsenal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a pickup from arrivals last night. I called the guy, explained the situation, told him I could get ticked, so he had to sit in the front seat, act cool and act as though we know each other, blah blah. We played it cool he was in my car within 20 seconds and off we went. This is how im going to do it in the future, im going to immediately call the PAX at arrivals and explain so they know. I think this would be foolproof. Obviously I did not have my phone showing and I never received an Uber placard, so I was inconspicuous. Im not going to sit in the Cell phone waiting lot, sounds like your a sitting duck. Any PTC "agent" who has the Uber app can easily track your car from cell lot to arrivals. It would be f**ked up if an agent made a request and you were trapped, which I believe is entrapment. Ive heard of that happening, but it may just be rumors.

Mrswilliams36

I have done over 50 trips to and from TIA and I have never had any issues, my phone is out of site and I still allow the pax to sit where they want. Ive sat in the cell phone lot with no issues also.

Snowtop

I had a pickup from arrivals last night. I called the guy, explained the situation, told him I could get ticked, so he had to sit in the front seat, act cool and act as though we know each other, blah blah. We played it cool he was in my car within 20 seconds and off we went. This is how im going to do it in the future, im going to immediately call the PAX at arrivals and explain so they know. I think this would be foolproof. Obviously I did not have my phone showing and I never received an Uber placard, so I was inconspicuous. Im not going to sit in the Cell phone waiting lot, sounds like your a sitting duck. Any PTC "agent" who has the Uber app can easily track your car from cell lot to arrivals. It would be f**ked up if an agent made a request and you were trapped, which I believe is entrapment. Ive heard of that happening, but it may just be rumors.
When the do decide to do a sting they do use the app to request a ride. I have seen the tickets issued and heard the stories on this board. It can happen anywhere in Hillsborough County but the airport is the most likely spot.

But don't worry, I am sure that when you call them and ask them to sit up front they will volunteer that they work for the PTC so you can avoid picking them up.

Good luck, and also watch out for the black helicopters, they are everywhere.

Uberfood

When the do decide to do a sting they do use the app to request a ride. I have seen the tickets issued and heard the stories on this board. It can happen anywhere in Hillsborough County but the airport is the most likely spot.

But don't worry, I am sure that when you call them and ask them to sit up front they will volunteer that they work for the PTC so you can avoid picking them up.

Haven't you heard that undercovers have to reveal their identity if you ask if they're a cop?

rld0220

There have actually been quite a few stings at the airport lately.. if you get into the FB group (closed group so you need to be known to get in) then you would know more. Snowtop if you aren't in the group lmk and I will vouch for you.(That also goes for any other well known Tampa drivers who have been around on this site for a while.) those guys are really helpful and let us know when and where the stings are.

I usually know if there is a sting when I am driving because I am constantly checking that group.. this site has gone way down hill.. more cabbies and Uber haters than actual drivers on this site now a days. I rarely check in here anymore because of it.

Chisox1125

So are the unmarked cop cars. Feels like every time I've been getting rides to Tampa I see at least 6 around me at all times. I know the odds of getting nailed through out the city are slim but still freaks me the heck out when I get out there.

rld0220

You can't get busted for dropping off.. just for picking up.

No need to worry about driving in Tampa if you picked up across the bridge or in Pasco.