Touters Sent Packing at TermInal, Fines Issued

Scottie B

Fawkner Highway Patrol’s arrival at Melbourne Airport yesterday signalled the departure of a number of touters illegally offering lifts to commuters.

The planned operation saw police focus on chauffeur drivers offering taxi rides to arriving passengers, an offence known as “touting” which incurs a $1903 fine.

In many instances, refused rides have escalated to verbal and physical assaults.

Within just a few hours, police had issued six penalty notices alone for touting.

Fawkner Highway Patrol Acting Senior Sergeant Dean Pickering said the operation was designed to change bad behaviours.

“When we learn of verbal and physical assaults, then we will step in,” he said.

“People should be able to get off their plane and not be hassled by people offering them a lift and then getting abused when declining.”

A second focus of the operation targeted taxi drivers who either refused short-fare journeys or added non-existent charges for the trip.

An additional 19 penalty notices were issued for a combination of fare refusals and driving offences.

“The driver might get a fare to St Kilda or one to Essendon – that’s just how it is,” Acting Sen-Sgt Pickering said.

“The drivers know how the system works and they choose to line up accordingly.”

Taxi fare refusals can result in a $396 fine.

Police will conduct further operations in the near future at the airport following yesterday’s success in a bid to curb touting and fare refusals.

Natalie Savino

Media Officer

george manousaridis

Does it really matter,we do what we have to do to survive,dont reflect the past,reflect on the future and it is the way to go forth.Scottie has learnt and adapted and has grown wiser,wiser to more working smarter and profitable. people and things change,nothing wrong in that,hes done better and good on him.
this forum needs members equivalent to ScottieB,grahamJ,Yogie ,Apollo and so on,even maybe from the odd members like the JohnGalts and the BreadWater men we may even learn from the odd threads they bear! learn from these good solid members and maybe we as possible ex and new coming Uber so classified drivers may learn a thing.Look and learn,from good solid members my fellow forum member.

Get me a sick bag, I need it after reading that!

Double standards come to mind... but sure sure. Are you not part of scotties little YVR gang now?
You can form any view,opinion and anything, always remember that evreyone deserve a "Second" chance,opinion,judgement and so on.Dont be in haste to condemn,pass judgment or so,its a learning curve. I know i do,no matter what i view as silly or judge or pass opinion,even the most silliest or stupid thread.All is welcome and i take notice.

george manousaridis

Its cute you think I'm a new ant. No new ant would know about Scotties 3 Bs dribble and his uber hoodie trick to pickup at the airport.
I am interested in what you thread too,i will learn from your experiences too,i take all in,believe it or not lol i have files stored on paper about important notes from members.unfortunately my lists are growing in paperback,but its ok i read first then hand write in my own little encrypted shorthand ways.all good,you go forth and post and i will take note.and you misunderstood me,I didnt imply direct or indirect your a new ant.i stated "ex and new coming Uber drivers"

Deedub

You tell them Georgie boy. And while you are at it, tell your cooked cousin Postecoglou to step aside from the top job. He is not worthy of it. Roooooof greekyyy

george manousaridis

All I did was post a police media story for your reading.
All good ScottieB keep on punching mate.

This is true Scottie, and I said that this is funny, as this used to be YOU, out in your Uber hoodie, trying to get a ride back from the airport!

And you know what that is called when trying to pickup a ride at the airport when you're not allowed to? Correct, touting!
No matter on the past,reflect the future,the future is what we make it,past is gone!look before leaping.

george manousaridis

Get me another sick bag!!! GM has started again.

Well sorry, but the past can't be overlooked. Scottie was the king of 'touting' at the airport/crown.
Again my dear fellow,forget and forgive past tenures,the future is what will be.To me every one serves a second chance no matter what.
Maybe this way seems very strange to you,but to me is every one can serve anytime for any chance.

Again my dear fellow,forget and forgive past tenures,the future is what will be.To me every one serves a second chance no matter what.

Started again on ? explain it to me,i would like you to educate me on your views,im reading when your ready to thread.
Maybe this way seems very strange to you,but to me is every one can serve anytime for any chance.
See know you not looking or hounding outside the box.

Get me another sick bag!!! GM has started again.

Well sorry, but the past can't be overlooked. Scottie was the king of 'touting' at the airport/crown.
its quite ok by me,what do you imply about GM is starting again?can you explain your connotation of words and what vested interest it be to me?

yogi bear

Fine point of the law, it would be arguable that Scottie wasn't touting if he didn't verbally offer a lift but just stood there, on one leg, with his uber hoodie, and waited for fares to approach him asking for a lift.

I've been touted at by VHA ants at international arrivals before, they were persistant little blighters until I loudly pointed out that they shouldn't be touting in the arrivals hall like this in the first place, and they slunk off into the crowd.

If I want a cheap taxi I go up to departures and wait for a nice fairlane to drop someone off..

george manousaridis

Fine point of the law, it would be arguable that Scottie wasn't touting if he didn't verbally offer a lift but just stood there, on one leg, with his uber hoodie, and waited for fares to approach him asking for a lift.

I've been touted at by VHA ants at international arrivals before, they were persistant little blighters until I loudly pointed out that they shouldn't be touting in the arrivals hall like this in the first place, and they slunk off into the crowd.

If I want a cheap taxi I go up to departures and wait for a nice fairlane to drop someone off..
Well stated and threaded Yogi!thank you.

Jules66

Hi Yogi, how long ago was this? Recently I have seen them holding up signs saying car available, but not at luggage collection, I suspect these people were the target of their sting. Interesting I didn't think local police had jurisdiction at the airport, normally it's federal police and also I didn't think "touting" was against the laws that the police upheld. Rather it was something that the taxi services and the airport security had jurisdiction for.

george manousaridis

Standing outside the BP macacs minding my own business wearing a Uber hoodie is not touting, standing in or outside departures asking people is touting.
Scottie,so what mate,who cares,people will always form unsustained paranoid views/opinions..etc... lol you keep punching your threads.

Been using airport uber rank with very low wait time since it opened
My time waster,never been and will never go there

yogi bear

10 ~15 years ago Jules66

VHA drivers had a method to get free parking in the pre booked pick up area out the front there.
They all got into the habit of first standing there with signs as if they were waiting for someone and waiting to be approached, and then just downright touting.
Reading that OP Article its pretty third worldish if they're now abusing people for refusing their offers

george manousaridis

Sure Scottie, next you'll tell us you never tried to get paxs to cancel and do 'cashies' when you pick them up!

All part of the 3 B's isn't it?

Things we know, as you have spent all morning brown nosing to Scottie.
Lol,yes it appears that way,but its all fine,people can form their views/opinions..lol no skin off my nose.Truth does hurt though.

Anyone here can put their quid in,like it or not ,not my problem,there is an ignore list.then put me on it!my pleasure to make your black list.