Totally serious. Uber vs. Lyft. $$, treatment. Quick verdict

Would you drive for Lyft or Uber? If there was a gun (the bills to pay) to your head.

• There is a gun, and I choose Lyft to avoid being shot (by the bills).

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • There is a gun, and I choose Uber to avoid being shot (by the bills).

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

black rhino

Decided against leasing a car through Xchange to drive for uber. Far too much like being locked into a contract,$ 160/week for the car whether you drive/work or not. Too much like rent, or a bill, or ... a lease.
Still evaluating ridesharing, and it seems like Lyft leans more toward a balance between the payment for its drivers and the convenience for its passengers. As in, when specifically looking at Lyft vs. Uber.
Any thoughts from Lyft drivers out there?

MiddleClassedOut

I wouldn't bother until September when the schools are back. Lyft cut all guarantees (Except for the DNC this week) in May when the schools let out. Guarantees added about 15% to my revenue and are more profitable than working normally (do one ride/hide car/collect money/minimize expenses). Things are really slow and if you don't know the city's going-out patterns you won't make anything. You're competing with tens of thousands of immigrant drivers who are happy for less than minimum wage income because they can't get other jobs.

Since there's still a lot of demand morning rush hour, I would do that only and maybe some weekends. Lyft is particularly good in the mornings, with certain very predictable surge patterns. But you only have like a 20 minute window to get one...

black rhino

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't bother until September when the schools are back. Lyft cut all guarantees (Except for the DNC this week) in May when the schools let out. Guarantees added about 15% to my revenue and are more profitable than working normally (do one ride/hide car/collect money/minimize expenses). Things are really slow and if you don't know the city's going-out patterns you won't make anything. You're competing with tens of thousands of immigrant drivers who are happy for less than minimum wage income because they can't get other jobs.

Since there's still a lot of demand morning rush hour, I would do that only and maybe some weekends. Lyft is particularly good in the mornings, with certain very predictable surge patterns. But you only have like a 20 minute window to get one...
Hey, thanks so much! A great deal of driving does seem to be about interpreting traffic flows.
But, less than minimum wage, driving for either company? I've heard (and calculated) as much, but is that how it really ends up?

JaneBond462

It depends where you're planning to drive. Demand for Lyft is far less in the suburbs than Uber. I mainly drive for Uber because those Lyft pings tend to be 25-30 min. away and with my luck, they'd only want to go 2 miles down the road. The most demand I've seen with Lyft has been in Conshohocken. Also there's rarely a surge with Lyft in the 'burbs.

MiddleClassedOut

For me if I get the Lyft Power Driver Bonus, I do 25% better than most people. Typical hour is like this on Lyft, where I get the 20% bonus if I do enough rides in an hour, thus I just collect the entire fare:

A typical hour: 3x$4.5 (minimum fares), or one ride for $9.5 (20-3o mins), one ride $4.5. And that's if it's busy. Back-to-back long rides are unicorns, they happen once every 50 trips or so.

Now if you are paying 20% commission, then you made $10.8 for the hour. Second example with a longer fare, $11.2. Maybe you will make 10% extra in tips, that's what I average (10% of your gross fares). Now subtract your fuel and maintenance costs, and depreciation.

Before June I could do a lot better with the guarantees and predictable surge fares, ie., 2am bar close. Now there is no surge at the bar close worth talking about so I stopped doing the bar close and switched to some mornings because I will not risk vomit for less than $20/hr (or 2x surge.) Those factors added a huge amount, so my hourly was usually over $20 before June. If it picks up in September, than maybe $17, but I doubt Lyft will start doing guarantees regularly again, and there are always more drivers and not enough work.

Now it's at $16 and dropping and that's because I'm, an expert driver, and I'm only doing maybe 20% better than I think is typical. Just too many drivers, not enough work. I really don't understand why there are so many. You can tell how high the turnover is. Request some Ubers and cancel, and you will see how many 4.9s and 5s you get - obviously new drivers.

The full-time dead-enders are easy to spot - they are usually rated 4.5-4.7 and are mostly black and Middle Eastern.

Reactions: CCW