1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Total Noob: Had a weird issue starting trip

Discussion in 'Advice' started by ninfiction, Dec 5, 2018.

1. First week driving....I know, quit now.

I drop off a pax and get a ping 3 blocks away. It's a gas station, mistake #1 I know. I sit there hoping the timer runs out but it turns out it's a guy that is in another car with 3-4 other people. The driver sees me a mouths "uber?". I nod yes.

Then I see the guy climbing out of her car with a couple bags. He hops in, "holy sh*t, there's a ton of room in here, I was knocking my knees against the seat in her car". Ok, I swipe to start the trip knowing it'll be a short ride and hoping it's over quick. Laundromat, great, not far and I know exactly where it is. The apps tells me the location so I start driving, then the screen flips back and the route/destination is gone and according to the app I haven't picked up the pax.

I swipe it a half dozen times and each time I get the destination for a second only for it to switch back to asking me if I picked up the pax. I tell the guy the ride isn't working, he says it's fine on his phone, shows we're on our way. I flat out asked him if he was f**king with the ride. "No man, it's working on my phone". I've gone about 3 blocks. I tell they guy I can't do the trip, I'm taking you back to the gas station. He canceled and I got paid $4.54 for cancellation. I get about 3 blocks away and ping, same pickup location...decline, thanks, last time I'll be picking up there.

I didn't have any issues before or after that trip. Is it possible he was hacking the ride or something? I won't be surprised if I lose the cancellation fee, whatever. Just glad the whole thing didn't turn into a big scene. The guy didn't argue, and told me to have a good night. It kind of felt like I had figured him out and he knew he wasn't going to pull one over on me.

Or he just wanted to do his laundry and understood the app was screwed up.

A little more context, not the best part of town, not someone I would pick up by choice...and I know I should have just drove off once I saw him climbing out of another car. Noob.

2. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't be so hard on yourself. After all, it was your first week and it sounds like your spider senses are kicking in and getting honed in towards suspect activity. You sound like a fast learner to me.
    Welcome to UP.net!

Danny3xd likes this.
  3. Sounds like the perfecr trip..... occasionally .if lose service the app will glitch... bis phone likely had a different provider

reg barclay likes this.
  4. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I've been driving for three years and I've never had a passenger try to mess with the trip. I think you were being a bit paranoid.

5. You need to pick up more "diverse" people

New2This and readyfreddy like this.
  6. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe it's karma. :D

Juggalo9er likes this.
  7. Just Uber's buggy POS app. Sounds about right.

Zebonkey and mrpjfresh like this.
  8. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

You need to stage in better neighborhoods.

9. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    I have had a lot of app issues, but they always seem to work themselves out. Sometimes I just restart the phone. This morning I had a 40-minute trip to a small town, and lost cell signal a couple of times. The map disappeared and did not come back when I got back to town. Eventually I rebooted my phone and it started working normally.

10. I still feel bad for laughing at patriot missiles being shot in Iraq

Merc7186 and Coachman like this.
  11. readyfreddy

readyfreddy

What's better neighborhoods ? Come on tell us you can do it. Remember Uber's no discrimination policies. Should you be driving are you one of those?

12. Certain cultures do not believe in tipping or are just cheap

13. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

Yes. I’m one of those.

Uber's Guber likes this.
  14. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    To me, "better neighborhood" is any neighborhood where I'm the most likely to pick up a long airport ride. Those rides to McDonalds and Walmart aren't paying my bills.

New2This likes this.
  15. How dare you not want to help the community

New2This likes this.
  16. I'm in the twin cities. It's a matter of blocks between a "better neighborhood" and a not better neighborhood. I think I need to pay more attention to pickup points. So far when it pings I just accept.

17. Kaal

Kaal

There's a subforum for the twin cities here.

18. ANT 7

ANT 7

Driving:
    UberX
    I had this happen to me last week. Had to swipe about 6 times to get the trip started.​