Total newbie.....

suzyw

So I have been reading your pages the last few weeks to see the ins and outs of this gig. Started driving 3 weeks ago, and not doing terrible but I feel there is a better way to do this. I do have another job, just doing this to make extra cash and be free from boredom. Ha I understand the idea of staying offline to increase surge, makes complete sense; Driving around on screws everyone. I drive mostly weekends during the day, would rather avoid the 3 am vomitfests but have come to weekdays recently for a couple weeks. I did 2 rides yesterday in an hour for $20 and called it cuz it was just DEAD. Wasn't sure about the concert last night, but it looks like I screwed myself there
So to my questions:
Are weekdays worth driving at all?
Are all concerts and such a good call to post up at? Asking because there's a freaking Selena Gomez later tonight...
Any specific info that I should be privy to so I don't screw you guys and make the most of my time?

Just don't wanna be one of the ants you talk about

DriverX

I don't drive weekdays during the day unless it happens to surge where I am and I'm paying attention. Yesterday, I pounced on a 2.9x surge ride at noon. It was a shorty so I only made $10 but it only took me 10 minutes. most rides over 2x are worth it even if they go short, so you end up not needing to call and check where they are going (ACRO). I think about it like this, I was just hanging in the garden at home offline chillin anyway so I keep an eye on the map. Theres usually about 3-4 A-holes in my local zone rolling around all day online. as soon as those dopes take there 1x short rides a couple miles away my area will surge. so in that hour they got one, maybe 2 if they lucky, short rides for $6 total and were sitting waiting in there cars running AC or whatever for $6 an hour. Most likely they sat there waiting after the brief morning rush for the next rush at noon becasue they drove into my area from east county or wherever on their stupid grind schedule. They old people are notorious for this, they need a schedule and try and force it on a non-scheduled occupation. I'm chillin doing my thing at home and drop in at the only profitable time to drive in that hour and pull $10. or maybe I get zero, no big deal at least I wasn't grinding out $6 an hour wasting my time in my car all day.

THis way of driving is a full time deal though because you gotta be ready to pounce, but I prolly average only 25 hours online a week unless its super busy.
So you gotta be available full time to work part time if that makes sense, but you aren't really working half the time your just ready to drop in on a surge. You'll start to understand the ebb and flow of your area the more you do it.

If you really want to max your money and off time, live in an area that surges. don't be one of the idiots that commutes into a good area and has to sit in their car waiting. Those guys totally screw the other drivers that can wait for rushes and pounce on surge because they refuse to drive at standard rate. This is the only way uber will raise rates, when drivers refuse to drive at low rates and wait until it surges to a profitable level. Case in point:

The airport. Drivers WON they stopped driving Uber at SAN and switched to Lyft. Uber has been getting its ass kicked at the airport for months now and they finally gave in and surged it.

If your available and live near the concert, sure, why not be ready for a surge. If its a mile away driver over there at the time it lets out and wait offline until its over 2x I'd wait for 2.5x at least. but I wouldn't drive more than a few miles to work it specifically unless I want to be over there anyway. Your prolly only gonna get one decent ride unless its a shorty and you can get back to the surge fast enough. but hey you only drove a couple miles to get there and who knows you might get a $30 ride. or you make $10 and go home no big deal, that was better than $3.20 right.

Padraig

MLB All Star game weekend is this weekend, so downtown should be busy daytime hours Sunday-Tuesday. Sleep Train concerts can get you long rides back north and demand is usually very high. Can just be a bit of a pain finding your rider amongst the sea. Selena Gomez concert will be popular, so would suggest posting up there starting at like 1030 for early leavers. I drive SUV so any more of my advice is not much use to you (as is most of the advice to me on here lol) unless you drive that as well. Different game for us.

suzyw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe I have been lucky i don't know. The weekends I have driven I'm continuously driving to or with someone. I always turn on right when I leave my house and within 5 mins my day is rolling continuously. I really haven't had any down time. If it's not a surge and they are more than like 5-7 mins away I don't take it. I'm not wasting my time driving all over hell and back just to pick you up for $5! Not many rides are surge rides except last weekend but still not bad for 5 hrs online and constantly busy for $2-400 a weekend. Like I said I'm bored so why not haha I live off the 15 and surges quite often here for sdsu, or military pick ups on weekends so I wait until the surge is at least 2 then go online if I'm sitting at home.

I think I'll post up at the concert tonight and see what happens haha looks like a few people scored last night!
I have done a few SAN rides that were lucrative but I understand the concept of staying off to surge lol I don't like having to park and wait, such a waste of time when downtown is right there and surging!
Did my first pool ride this weekend, nope never again! Too confusing for a few bucks so I'm getting a handsmacking timeout often! That's fine by me!

Is it difficult downtown at nights to find your riders? I see it surge all the time at night but haven't ventured out there.
does anyone know why temecula doesn't ping for me? I drive up there very Friday night ( for a personal trip) and I don't even show on the map if I'm online....

Thanks for all the advice guys!

NCRBILL

I don't like having to park and wait, such a waste of time when downtown is right there and surging!
!
You have to remember how long the ride may be from SAN (now that you get 1.9 surge) compared to the short trips DT. If you have four short trips downtown, that may take you total of an hour to complete. If you take a run from SAN to either north county or south bay, that same time could end up being closer to $50 with the surge, $25 without. It all comes down to the time and the place they end up at. Now if you go from SAN to DT, all bets are off.

As you drive, you will be able to find the true hot spots where you make great money without having to drive all over the place.

If you venture to Sleep Train, you have any advantage because you live up north and that is where the rides are heading. I live in the south bay so even though I had a great trip last night, I had to come all the way back down south to get home. Sport arena is dead center along with SDSU so that really works out well.

Good luck.

Padraig

Is it difficult downtown at nights to find your riders? I see it surge all the time at night but haven't ventured out there.
It usually isn't too bad. Sometimes you'll get a ping that by the time you accept and load your map the pickup is behind you and you're on a one-way street, so you have to go back around the block. I always call my pickups instead of texting downtown to confirm pickup location. Get to know the one-way streets, a few shortcuts, and what roads get closed or redirected for baseball games.