"Toronto will look at mandatory training for Uber, taxi drivers"

Should driver's be made to take a driver training course

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

GetShorty

"Toronto has moved a step closer to requiring training courses for drivers of taxis and ride-hail services such as Uber and Lyft, an issue under scrutiny since a man’s death last March.

The new 26-member city council, during its first full meeting, directed city staff to recommend, in a coming report on how to update and improve rules on taxi and ride-hail services, consideration of “all measures to increase public safety and the training requirements” for drivers."

"She wants a $575 Centennial College course, still used by taxi companies, to become mandatory for all drivers for hire in Toronto."

I wonder who will be paying for this, Uber, the drivers or the customers or all three.

METRO3

Customers. Training courses do shit to improve driving. The problem isn't that they don't know how to drive safely, it's that they don't care to drive safely.

massey

I think pax needs training courses more than drivers
how to respect their driver
be on time
dont eat or make mess
if you had a shitty day , just take the bus and go home
dont puke in the car
dont scam the system and false complains and the list goes on

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Personally, I'm all for a mandatory, $$ training course, if nothing else than to weed out crap drivers who would be too cheap to take the course (and probably don't pay taxes, so do not care about the that this course would be a write-off).

zauber99

Personally, I'm all for a mandatory, $$ training course, if nothing else than to weed out crap drivers who would be too cheap to take the course (and probably don't pay taxes, so do not care about the that this course would be a write-off).
This is wishful thinking. Did this help to weed out crappy taxi drivers in the past?

bandit13

Customers. Training courses do shit to improve driving. The problem isn't that they don't know how to drive safely, it's that they don't care to drive safely.

Or they are new drivers with no experience under their belt. No experience driving outside their neighbourhood. Living in a surburb Doesn't make you a great city of Toronto driver.

GetShorty

Yea, but the cabbies are full timers. If you had to take this course, it would weed out the crappy casuals who do not wish to spend that much money on a training course.
I agree money is and always has been a great motivator. Also, those that are new to the country and have never seen snow for example or those who have only driven in rural/suburban areas that get nervous around traffic would benefit.

Judgeetox

About time. When I used to take uber as a pax, I wondered how some of these drivers were even able to obtain a drivers license.

METRO3

That won't change driver behaviour. That ass driver who ran that red light will still run that red light cuz he doesn't care. He sees there are no cops or a red light camera and he will continue to do it.

bandit13

That won't change driver behaviour. That ass driver who ran that red light will still run that red light cuz he doesn't care. He sees there are no cops or a red light camera and he will continue to do it.

Karma is a @@@@@. It always catches up to you. Never know when !

Surgehunter

"Toronto has moved a step closer to requiring training courses for drivers of taxis and ride-hail services such as Uber and Lyft, an issue under scrutiny since a man’s death last March.

The new 26-member city council, during its first full meeting, directed city staff to recommend, in a coming report on how to update and improve rules on taxi and ride-hail services, consideration of “all measures to increase public safety and the training requirements” for drivers."

"She wants a $575 Centennial College course, still used by taxi companies, to become mandatory for all drivers for hire in Toronto."

I wonder who will be paying for this, Uber, the drivers or the customers or all three.
I hope they do get rid of all these idiots that can’t even spell their own names