Took Time Off...Should I Jump Back In?

Tom Madison

I have not logged into the partner app for about 3 months...my paperwork expired, but I keep getting e-mail from Uber talking about Platinum-this and Boost-that...can anyone summarize what this means? I submitted updated registration and inspection information, so I am OK to drive, but I am living in Gaithersburg and wondering if it is worth doing this a few hours on the weekend.

Tom Madison

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah you missed it. The last 2-3 month when the incentives were the highest we're the best times in all of Uber history to driver. Now, not so much
Sarcasm? I really have not been reading the e-mail from Uber, so really hard to tell what I was missing. What is the Platinum-thing that I am apparently benefiting from? My only impetus to drive right now is to keep my account active, but it has been months and Uber is not prodding me very hard.

nutzareus

Sarcasm? I really have not been reading the e-mail from Uber, so really hard to tell what I was missing. What is the Platinum-thing that I am apparently benefiting from? My only impetus to drive right now is to keep my account active, but it has been months and Uber is not prodding me very hard.
If I recall you used to drive in Fairfax and GMU area, and didn't like downtown DC. This is where the boost reward is so I don't think this will affect you. No rate change, only policy change is you supposedly can't get deactivated for declining pings. You just get put into Virtual Corner for 2-10 minutes offline and can't log on again while sitting in the corner offline.

4aseason

You don't need to drive to keep your account active. They sent me threatening emails for months saying they were going to deactivate my account because I haven't driven for probably a year or so.. Guess what! It never happened.

Another Uber Driver

Welcome back, anyhow. Bart McCoy was not being sarcastic. When Uber first started the Heavy Metal Thunder Incentive Programme, it was pretty good. In fact, I started to drive the UberX car more and the cab less. Even at the lowly Bronze and Silver levels, I was doing well. There were two kinds of bonuses; hourly and boost. Initially I was on boost. They put me on hourly, which I did not like. As I understand it, everyone now will be on boost. Of course, Uber began to reduce the per-centages. There has been discussion on it on several of these Boards. Boost had no acceptance rate attached to it, which was one of the things that I liked about it. All that it had was a weekly trip quota for each level. Hourly had an acceptance rate and a trip quota attached to it.

As nutzareus correctly indicates, the Reward Zone is mostly in the City. There is a little bit of Montgomery, even less of Prince George's, all of Arlington and a small part of Alexandria that also is in there, but it is mostly the City. I like the City, but that is just because I live there and I am used to it from hacking there. If you try to work in the suburbs that are in the Reward Zone, I can just about guarantee that you will wind up in the City at some point. You might stay out of it longer if you work Arlington, as I get many trips there that stay in Arlington--more so than in the other suburbs.

I would try it, if for no other reason than to make sure that the account stays active. While Uber may not have de-activated too many drivers for not logging into their accounts, that may be simply a Y-E-T.

Ubermanpt

I took almost a year break and was never de-activated. Then I started getting emails and texts about platinum bonus which was good. First night back made about $40/hr, then I was bumped down to bronze because you need a lot of trips to get silver, gold or platinum. Rates are too low to drive for base and if you are bronze it's pretty much 1.2x but only in the rewards area. Uber pool has changed things too. Very bad for the drivers and those pings come in all the time. The big change has been; now you can not accept pings and not be deactivated. After 3 non accepts in a row you will get put on time out and lose time but better than getting pool requests. Now you can't accept and decline as that can get you deactivated. The best times I've found to drive are after 10 when the incentives end til midnight as there always seems to be a surge and Sunday's. Give it a try and see how it goes.

Tom Madison

If I recall you used to drive in Fairfax and GMU area, and didn't like downtown DC. This is where the boost reward is so I don't think this will affect you. No rate change, only policy change is you supposedly can't get deactivated for declining pings. You just get put into Virtual Corner for 2-10 minutes offline and can't log on again while sitting in the corner offline.
Good memory...recently moved to MoCo, but still have VA registration on my car. I actually don't mind DC...the bigger issue was that I refused to pursue the VA TNC registration as I did not want a 'special' sticker on my license plate and when my car is finally registered in MD I don't want that big black and yellow one on my rear window.

Does MD require a TNC registration for pickups? If so, that will probably be my cue to exit stage left. In the meantime I might as well keep my account active in case I need the extra cash. Fortunately that is not an issue right now and I have someone to spend my weekend nights with when I did not a year ago.

nutzareus

Does MD require a TNC registration for pickups?
No, but you are now required to present a vehicle inspection, Maryland or Virginia one. Maryland one costs a ton, $16 in Virginia or free at a few Uber-sponsored inspection stations. I forgot where they're at, someone will fill in the blanks.

tohunt4me

I have not logged into the partner app for about 3 months...my paperwork expired, but I keep getting e-mail from Uber talking about Platinum-this and Boost-that...can anyone summarize what this means? I submitted updated registration and inspection information, so I am OK to drive, but I am living in Gaithersburg and wondering if it is worth doing this a few hours on the weekend.
Jump Back In

You know you want to.

Attachments

Bart McCoy

Welcome back, anyhow. Bart McCoy was not being sarcastic. When Uber first started the Heavy Metal Thunder Incentive Programme, it was pretty good. In fact, I started to drive the UberX car more and the cab less. Even at the lowly Bronze and Silver levels, I was doing well. There were two kinds of bonuses; hourly and boost. Initially I was on boost. They put me on hourly, which I did not like. As I understand it, everyone now will be on boost. Of course, Uber began to reduce the per-centages. There has been discussion on it on several of these Boards. Boost had no acceptance rate attached to it, which was one of the things that I liked about it. All that it had was a weekly trip quota for each level. Hourly had an acceptance rate and a trip quota attached to it.

As nutzareus correctly indicates, the Reward Zone is mostly in the City. There is a little bit of Montgomery, even less of Prince George's, all of Arlington and a small part of Alexandria that also is in there, but it is mostly the City. I like the City, but that is just because I live there and I am used to it from hacking there. If you try to work in the suburbs that are in the Reward Zone, I can just about guarantee that you will wind up in the City at some point. You might stay out of it longer if you work Arlington, as I get many trips there that stay in Arlington--more so than in the other suburbs.

I would try it, if for no other reason than to make sure that the account stays active. While Uber may not have de-activated too many drivers for not logging into their accounts, that may be simply a Y-E-T.
Thank you sir, good reply
Because what I was trying to tell him was that for a couple months Uber was paying drivers over $2/mile, which is higher than any regular rate before

Bart McCoy

No, but you are now required to present a vehicle inspection, Maryland or Virginia one. Maryland one costs a ton, $16 in Virginia or free at a few Uber-sponsored inspection stations. I forgot where they're at, someone will fill in the blanks.
Actually you do need a license now, just no sticker. Look in your waybill if you're a Maryland driver and you should see your md tnc ID number

Tom Madison

Actually you do need a license now, just no sticker. Look in your waybill if you're a Maryland driver and you should see your md tnc ID number
I am still a VA driver since I have not changed my registration and probably will not do that until October or November. Does MD have a TNC license?