1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Took a Ride from Lyft tonight

Discussion in 'Stories' started by DRider85, Aug 8, 2017.

1. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

I was in the city at the sports bar and wasn't working tonight. Took a lyft back and one of the reasons why I do this occasionally is I like to get a feel on how drivers run their business.

And the guy kept asking if we had any music preferences or temperature preferences. He actually asked about the temperature multiple times throughout the ride.

Nice guy, but now I know how it looks from the rider's perspective. It looks slightly needy. There's nothing wrong with it but it does make it look like you're trying extra hard, either for ratings or a tip.

Do any of you still do that? I noticed that I am more of a shut up and drive type driver now. I got that type of attitude recently after taking some taxi's in Chicago. Them taxi's, they just press the accelerator and go. When I first started, I used to ask if they wanted water or candy. Now I just shut up and drive. I do have a sign though. And honestly the reason I am experimenting with different signs is I have a fetish for flair and style, but it has to be the right balance. But I'm not going to ask passengers what they need anymore.

After taking several of rides over the last few months in Chicago and San Francisco (taxi, lyft, uber), I have gotten a better feel on how different drivers run their business. I do get a kick out of the ones that offer you things as soon as you get in the car. It's really not that necessary. I have a 4.91 rating and my ratings don't vary that much no matter what I try or don't try.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Spotscat and Lantawood like this.
  2. elronaldo

elronaldo Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I withdrew water some time ago. I'll ask exactly once if they are warm enough in cold weather, but don't ask about AC as in LA you have to max it and if they are too hot, I can't increase the AC anyway. I'm definitely shut up and drive too unless they want to talk and they seem the type that can have a cordial intelligent convo

3. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Max it? Your AC has problems if that's the case. I'm in Houston and once the car is cool I don't need it anywhere near max.it can be 105 and my AC keeps the car cool easily once it's cooled down (if it was parked in the sun for instance).

4. elronaldo

elronaldo Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It gets cool enough, but just barely. Regular passenger A/C in a SUV size Nitro... always have windows down on arrival so I can check name before unlocking, so always needs cooling down after pickup. Does better after a refrigerant recharge, but some cars (like mine) just have slightly under-powered A/C (plenty of wheel power to pull the boat though - you buy a Dodge for the power train, not the A/C!)

5. Dammit Mazzacane

Dammit Mazzacane Well-Known Member

Some tips are to Replace your cabin air filter (it's blocking up the airflow) or recharge your A/C freon on that Dodge.

NoDay likes this.

6. NoDay

NoDay Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I recently replaced mine for the very first time since I got this car....4 years ago. Major difference!

7. Julescase

Julescase Member

I say hello/hi with a big-ass smile and once they're in the car and settled I say "Let me know if it's too cool in here" because I like to keep my car nice and frosty. Every single person says either "no, it feels great" or "ok thanks" and I don't bring it up again. I don't have water in the car, although I did for my first couple of weeks. Then I was like "why the hell am I giving these a-holes water?"

I offer gum occasionally because I ALWAYS have gum on me, I offer them some if I'm popping some in my mouth. Today I offered gum to a teenager who said she wanted some- I handed her the pack of gum expecting her to give me the pack back (minus the one piece she took for herself), and she never gave it back. I really don't care, it cost about $.10 cents for the pack, but it made me think that she was pretty entitled to assume she was getting the entire pack for herself.

Then if they seem like they want to chat, I'll chat, but if they seem like they don't have any interest in a conversation, that's perfectly fine with me.

It's such a weird dynamic if you think about it. Isn't it? Total random strangers in your car, while you sit up front like their damn chauffeur?! Lolol. ‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️‍✈️

8. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

4 years is way too long. You should do it every 1 year or 25k miles. You can buy one from Amazon or autozone and do it yourself. Just open your glove box and unscrew it.
    Also it's a good idea to change your engine air filter yourself. It helps you get better gas mileage. Just look up videos on YouTube.

9. Julescase

Julescase Member

Lolololololol. Those airplanes at the end of my last message were supposed to be a picture of a female pilot, which was the closest thing I could find in my emojis that looked like a chauffeur!! Ha ha I thought I was being so sharp, and then I see a bunch of airplanes all in a row after I posted

10. Spotscat

Spotscat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I kinda play it by ear.

I greet them when they get in, and if I have the window down I ask them if that is too much air. Then I see what happens next.

If I have the ballgame on and they wanna talk baseball, or if I have music playing on the iPod and they wanna talk music - we talk.

Once in awhile I'll ask them how their day is and see if they wanna converse.

But if they get in and either talk to their friends like I don't exist, or else bury their nose in their smartphone, then I just leave them be,

bmedle likes this.
  11. Hans GrUber

Hans GrUber Well-Known Member

I love how this thread turned into an episode of "car talk" IMMEDIATELY.

To answer your question, we all probably did this when we were new. Trying to tailor each ride to the pax tastes in music to ideal temperature. We all realized after doing a certain number of rides that it was unnecessary and often annoying to the pax, hopefully. It's like a woman wanting the man to take charge of where their going to dinner. They don't want to have to make the decision, but reserve the right to complain about it. This can be annoying, as I'm sure a lot of married guys understand this, but it really works out for us.

A long time ago I remember that my ratings started to rise and the only difference I made was listening to Papa Roach Pandora station regardless of customer taste and smoking in the car (not with a pax in it, of course. Oh, I also stopped offering water. The real difference was I stopped badgering customers with questions and offers and just got them safely from A to B.

So, back to my analogy, I make the choices and if the pax complains I'm more than happy to oblige. I also am a pretty conversational type (and this doesn't really work well if you are in a busy city like Philadelphia), which goes well with in my current area. So if you are genuinely engaged in conversation with a customer, the other stuff isn't even thought about and they feel comfortable asking you to turn down the AC or the music, which is preferential to an awkwardly quiet ride.

12. LAbDog65

LAbDog65 Active Member

If it is a simple 5/10 minute ride, I just say the usual hello, how's your day been, etc. if it is longer I will ask if they have a preference for music and temperature in an effort to keep everyone happy and in a 5 star tipping mode

13. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

You may experiment by trying this sign; it is guaranteed to increase your tips and ratings.

TipSign.jpg

SadUber likes this.
  14. SadUber

SadUber Well-Known Member

cool.jpg
    Here's the one I have in the back of my car. It actually has increased tips a bit.

bmedle likes this.
  15. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Chester looks too happy. As if he were saying, "I didn't tip this sucker and I'm really happy!".

Maybe you could find a Chester who's been half eaten or something.

MHR likes this.
  16. SadUber

SadUber Well-Known Member

That's interesting advice I'll try out. I've experimented with literally a dozen tip signs from causal to threatening, and this one has brought in by far the best tips with fewest ratings deductions.