1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Too, too many Uber drivers in Brisbane.

Discussion in 'Brisbane' started by QLDUberDriver, Jan 23, 2016.

1. I've been driving Uber for over a year now and since Sept 2015 making decent money has plummeted. Sure you get lucky days but at 2:30am Sun 23rd Jan 2016 I counted 30 Ubers in the valley. I've been doing this long enough to know how to look on the app to avoid ghosting or the way Uber shuffles cars around. It was 30.

I cant find where I read the numbers of drivers late 2015 but it was close to Sydney. Keep in mind Sydney's population is more than double Brisbanes, so the party is more than over to do well. Survive maybe but with GST as well as running costs, it will be a continual revolving door of new drivers starting and soon leaving.

No loss to Uber as there end goal is have riders for there driverless cars when that comes around next 10 years or so. Dont laugh, google the info.

Anyone thinking about driving for uber you can start by using this Calculator link below to see what you make:
    https://uberpeople.net/pages/EarningsCalculator/

Adjust to real hours and complete mileage not just jobs.
    Also it pays to see how many cars are showing on the Uber Rider app. You can see for yourself if you think its worth giving it a shot before taking one of these inexperienced millennials hipsters scripted sales pitch to get you on the road with them.

All the best for everyone trying to make a living and survive out there. Drive safe.

leadcurescancer likes this.
  2. QLDUberDriver - you are 100% right AND it is only going to get a lot worse ....
    Shortly we will have all of UNI kids back, and whilst that creates more rides for us it also brings more driver partners out as well as quite a few of the year 3's Uber as well ..
    But the biggest problem that I can see is that the honeymoon appears to be over, I used to think Ubers main attraction was PRICE but now think that is second to the NOVELTY value . The 6 months from April to September appears to have been the height of the honeymoon - lots of free PR, the taxi war of words, ABC coverage etc... This brought lots of new customers into the system because it was new / a novelty / latest fad / cool ..the promotional discounts helped too but are really unsustainable. The NEW / WOW factor bubble has now burst ...
    NOW price is the real major selling point except we live in a first world country with one of the top 3 minimum wages in the world, and therefore in the big picture saving a few dollars on ground transport is not really a great long term incentive - we are used to paying what they rest of the world calls 'the Australia Tax'.
    UBER could eventually end up as the ground transport choice for tight arses!!! Not a good look.
    Then factor in the double edge sword of UBERs strategy of price drops as a marketing tool, this only squeezes the drivers even more and leads to older / smaller / more economical cars (like the ex-yellow cabs Prius resprayed Totally Black that was at the airport on Friday night)
    In Brisbane the Uber fleet appears to be very average ( seen by using the UberSelect option) and pax are definitely commenting...
    Lastly - as many Australians are job snobs, a lot of Uber drivers are the same ones doing many of our min. Wage jobs - I am not racist so will not single out any race, but simply put they are good people trying to make a living, many supporting families who put up with a fairly racist Oz.
    But more overall point is that many of the so called 'differentiators' between UBER and the existing TAXI industry are gone, the honeymoon is over, the coolness evaporated, cars the same or even a lot older (many ex-taxis), average drivers the same, in many cases(outer suburbs) no uber service. NOW Price is the only major differentiator - and if price is so important to us all why don't we all shop at Aldi and not Coles/ Woollies, Best&Less rather than Myers / DJ, Masters rather than Bunnings, United rather than BP,
    Tiger rather Qantas.
    Uber is finding its level, unfortunately by flooding the system with drivers in order to
    Minimise pick up time. But the unsustainablity of this practise is worn ONLY by the drivers not UBER as they still take 20% regardless of 10 drivers or 10,000 drivers ... They have our backs but only to stick knifes in to!
    I believe Uber will remain in the market, however is fast becoming the 'Tiger Airlines' of ground transport, and there will always remain a viable Taxi Fleet and a viable LIMO fleet .. Yes no one mentions LIMOS, who still survive because people choose to travel well AND will pay for it (about 4 times UBER rates )
    I know there will be a bunch of drivers to dispute my theories - they will be very nice intentioned WASP drivers in upmarket Audi A7 or the guy in Melb in a Tesla, or the guys doing it for 'FUN' but I am trying to speak an economical and business viewpoint in an average fleet analysis for full timers trying to make a living. My advice to anyone considering purchasing an upmarket vehicle to 100% uber in is to wait and get some experience and see where the dust all settles, don't be an UberSlave or a slave to a car loan/ lease ...

Sorry for the length of the post -
    SSDD

3. SneakyPete

SneakyPete

Driverless cars would need someone looking after them otherwise many would end up on their roofs with all windows smashed or burnt to toast. At the very least their external cameras and GPS equipment damaged beyond repair.

4. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    How do you figure this, you have been wrong on everything else. Do you spout opinions all the time about everything or once in a while do you actually do research. The main reasons cars crash is the driver, computers are faster to react and more reliable, computers do not talk on the phone or eat or put on makeup while driving. If you have ever flown in a commercial jet you may have done an autoland which means the pilots have no control until after touch down, this is technology that is decades old. Driverless cars will only need a mechanic and a car wash. Russians are proving the tech in trucks much better than the Americans, it is just a matter of time now.
    Lmao, computers are going to crash the car.

5. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    Constantly needs repeating sadly.
    On a different note.
    Wtf, you need to wait a specified to time to post?????????????

6. What do you mean ?

7. UBERxGc

UBERxGc

Driving:
    UberX
    It doesn't help with all the ads for drivers on recruiting websites that promise drivers can almost become millionaires.

I responded to an ad on gumtree just for the heck of it and asked about the nature of the job. I got a reply within 30 min that was full of bs claims including the drivers earned the following driving 15 hours a week (yes, that is 15 not a typo):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bear in mind the ad was posted on the gold coast section where it is more saturated than brisbane and surges 0% of the time (except when there is some special holiday or event maybe) I replied with my phone number and wanted someone from the office to ring me so i can have fun with them but they said they preferred to meet in person and gave me the address of the office.

anOzzieUber likes this.
  8. SneakyPete

SneakyPete

I know you may find this hard to believe ... we don't have driverless cars onroad yet so no research facts and figures available yet on driverless cars ( onroad vandalism).

You sound like an intelligent fellow so I will put in to you that because we don't have driverless cars onroad yet that everything up to this point will be just "Opinions".

I do believe that I have been 100% correct up till now, it surely is yourself that has not done their research correctly bud.

In nearly all of your posts you claim you have been spanking somebodies behind with your lofty arguments which all can see is clearly not the case. Wake up ! and stop dreaming it is you losing.

9. Uberisataxi

Uberisataxi

10. Uberisataxi

Uberisataxi

Finally some one with common sense!
    I joined this forum with intention of understanding the business of startups.

To only have idiots trying to justify their illegal short term gain.

It's clear that it's aimed at the ignorant desperate and delusional.

11. leadcurescancer

leadcurescancer

Driving:
    UberX
    Lol, what have you been correct about?
    Uber are legal in ACT, they will be legalised under the same law in every other Australian state and territory, it is a matter of time. I have argued this since the start of last year. You and a few other die hard taxi types continue to soldier on now in some vain hope that it will not happen, as I have said all along it is a done deal under the TPP unless by some miracle it gets killed in parliament(Australia's last hope to kill this evil trade agreement).
    As for driver-less cars, there is nothing subject to opinion, you claim you are a professional driver but ignore or do not bother examining technology, statistics or trends in your industry?
    13.% of accidents due to intoxication.
    11.8% fell asleep.
    10.9% fatigued.
    I am pretty sure automated cars are not going to get tired. Other major factors are drivers not applying enough brake pedal force even in cars with ABS.
    Not sure what your reference to on road vandalism applies to? Is that like taxi driver rage on Uber driver? Or do you mean vandalism by kids? Neither of these is going to have any affect on the safety of a driver-less car. You might be think of something like Robbie the robot from Lost In Space instead of R2D2 but this is just a lack of research on your part. A quick look at the latest cars will show you.
    Driverless cars will all but eliminate road fatalities and better yet congestion, aircraft auto landings are done every single day around the world without a single accident ever!!!!! Would I prefer a pilot up front, yes but they are trained professionals who have annual medical checks and twice or thrice yearly competency checks, not people who had little to no training behind the wheel, no medical check and certainly no refresher training!
    You seem to argue just for the sake of argument. Just go get a job you enjoy, trolling here does not seem to bring you any joy.

QLDUberDriver likes this.