too many drivers?

mitc

I don't know about you drivers, but there a massive increase of drivers in the last 2wks.... it like 1 in 9 chance u get a rider with over 8-15 driver in one area, guess it almost time to call it quit lol... how you are guys holding up? I do uber on a casual base so I'm pretty easy going lol how about you guys who do it for a living?

QLDUberDriver

Just check the rider app at 3am in some places and youd think it was the weekend.

I regret not taking 2 jobs offers from riders long time ago when I thought this would be a good way to make a living. Those junkies on Centrelink up the road seem to be living the life lol.

Egab

I wonder how people that do Uber full-time are actually making a decent living out of it.?

3 and 4 months ago the income over the weekend was not bad, but now it is not even worth the time and energy that is put into it.
Any one doing it full time that can give an oppinion in the forum?

UberMun

been doing Uber since last August, so have gone through all the changes, like clock work, today I still earn exactly the same amount per hour, exactly the same per kilometre, the only change is I do an extra 3 trips per shift, this is because of more riders.

NZShaker

been doing Uber since last August, so have gone through all the changes, like clock work, today I still earn exactly the same amount per hour, exactly the same per kilometre, the only change is I do an extra 3 trips per shift, this is because of more riders.

The problem with that is 3 x more kms 3 x more fuel 3 x more wear and tear so more trips same money.....see the issue

QLDUberDriver

I've been driving way longer than last August and since January its only an occasional log in now. I looked at the map last night to see suburbs not in the city looking like the valley busy hours. The Uber Promo advertising making "great" money is working for them.

Hard working is not the same as working hard for your money. Uber must be salivating at refugee camps hoping one day they can use them because they are desperate to survive. Oh wait, they already posted about promoting those who dont know the true costs.

https://newsroom.uber.com/australia/wrd16/

UXDriver

Lol of course you do

Some people really fail at expenses

UberMun

Lol of course you do

Some people really fail at expenses
No, 3 x more trips = 3 x more fares, more users = less wait time between jobs.

UberMun

I wonder how people that do Uber full-time are actually making a decent living out of it.?

3 and 4 months ago the income over the weekend was not bad, but now it is not even worth the time and energy that is put into it.
Any one doing it full time that can give an oppinion in the forum?
For me there is no difference Tuesday midday or Friday midnight

UberMun

Looks like he does not/can't see the issue and happy with "the only change".
I have no issue, get out of bed, go to work, accept all jobs to create a real average, my earnings increased as I became more familiar with the system and have now stabilised.

vanman79

Weird iam on the gold Coast atm .last night went to catch a uber with a mate of mine back to my apartment. All night it was a surge? Is brisbane that different a market?

QLDUberDriver

I dont understand, you worked since last August before the price drops and you make the same + 3 more fares? Are you exempt from the fare price drops? So you make 20% more than the rest of us? Sounds like Uber employee kind of maths.

Listen to the video in the link very carefully to Sam Pool from Uber Brisbane and calculate that on paper or in your head what it means:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ike-over-uber-price-cuts-20160219-gmygve.html

He answers about the drivers pay cut "But it also increases the proportion of each hour that drivers spend
on trip, earning money"

So to break it down for you even simpler, when you where getting paid 20% more before and doing "less" fares, you can now drive more fares to make up what Uber was paying before.

I've been Ubering well over a year from you so I know how it was from the early days. I make less now since the price drops according to the total costs, tax etc which you prob dont do correctly.

You clearly displayed in your calculation you are:
  • Working the same hours
  • Doing the same mileage costs
  • Extra 3 more fares because more riders
You do 3 more fares which you then should be earning more money not the same. You are doing more work for less than you deserve to be paid. Why would you promote that as good? You deserve to be paid for you hard work and costs.

This is why Uber works as a low cost business model. Low income people desperate to make an honest living with no actual accounting or business experience are the easiest to use. The 99c is not a $1 crowd.

Mate, you clearly have good work ethic and are not lazy, but working even harder is not smarter. And you cant pay your bills with your ego because you put in extra effort for no extra $.

UberMun

For the few on here that presume or read crystal balls.
I am happy with what I earn pro rata investment outlayed and costs incurred.
Stats, 54 years young, transport industry since 19, fleet manager for a chunk of that, worked for myself on and off (20 years), heavy transport industry driver trainer and consultant since 2006, all tax returns, bas, gst etc up to date. Uber select vehicle, (select jobs account for 30%) diesel, 7.2 litres per 100klm all the time, ( will be 15% better when I upgrade electronics @ $455 and will pay for itself in no time, do the maths and see if you can give me an answer) already had vehicle as a work car (2014 model) . Very easy to calculate earnings on the go per klm or per hour, and top up fuel at start of every shift. AND if you need help I am happy to train or consult, for a fee of course.

QLDUberDriver

For the few on here that presume or read crystal balls.
I am happy with what I earn pro rata investment outlayed and costs incurred.
Stats, 54 years young, transport industry since 19, fleet manager for a chunk of that, worked for myself on and off (20 years), heavy transport industry driver trainer and consultant since 2006, all tax returns, bas, gst etc up to date. Uber select vehicle, (select jobs account for 30%) diesel, 7.2 litres per 100klm all the time, ( will be 15% better when I upgrade electronics @ $455 and will pay for itself in no time, do the maths and see if you can give me an answer) already had vehicle as a work car (2014 model) . Very easy to calculate earnings on the go per klm or per hour, and top up fuel at start of every shift. AND if you need help I am happy to train or consult, for a fee of course.
You offer Uber Select which changes the whole context of your original comment. Not everyone is doing Select so that may be the reason your not affected like the rest. 30% of your income is from Select. Good for you I say.

As someone who works part time in tech and knows exactly what Uber has been investing and how fast development is going with autonomous vehicles also, can tell you that you dont need a crystal ball to work out you better plan to make an income other than driving for Uber after the next couple of years.

Its on record here so fee free to come back to this as I told you so.