Too Many Drivers Now?

Markbrla

Anyone notice that there has been an increase in the number of drivers in Baton Rouge? Is anyone making money anymore? With the exception of late Friday or Saturday it's getting really tough out there! This isn't worth minimum wage (after gas, car maintenance and wear/tear).

Last edited:

Markbrla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand the need for hordes of drivers for the football games; and, perhaps late Friday and Saturday necessitates plenty of drivers. However, that leaves every other day and time over saturated with drivers. What happens when football season is over (there are only a couple of home games left)?

msNouberx

Well I haven't been making much just my expense money back and a couple of bucks left. It is really saturated. the opportunity has been blown out of value. BR is a small circle of users for all the drivers out there. I guess this is what everyone in the forum was warning us about. We are the ubers who getting it now.

n

msNouberx

Really I friday night it took 4 hrs to get 1 rider 8pm-12am. Well alot of the driver including myself was suppose to drive in New Orleans uberx, no changes yet. After the games are over we are pretty jacked.

Markbrla

Yea, when the games are over it's going to change things around here. Don't forget, many students will be gone for winter break. That will slow things down a good bit. Same for the summer.

UberTiger

I dont think we have peaked on demand yet. Lots of people still dont know what uber is. That being said I am working more hours to make the same money or less due to more drivers. XL has helped me though. I had 45 rides Thursday-Sat and 22 of them were XL.

Tom Robinson

See my thread where I detail exactly how many fares I got working two different weekends in Baton Rouge. Financially, it would make a lot more sense to get a job flipping burgers. "Would like a hot apple pie with that?"

Modskool

Business during the day has gotten a lot better. Plus they are $40 airport fares, not $7 bar flies. We still need more early morning drivers. I hate getting bounced all around town at 7am; if I am the only driver available I will sign off until more drivers appear.

Markbrla

More drivers in the morning? Two weeks ago I did 5 am- 10 am for 4 weekdays and averaged 2 rides on each day. I was hanging out right in the middle (College @ I-10) ; and, 90% of the time there were other drivers. When I was alone I would still sit. I was determined to make mornings work.... but there were no riders. Maybe things have changed in the last few weeks?

As far as daytime goes, I have tried extensive daytime work. I finally gave up on days because I was making below minimum wage. I have parked myself at various locations all over town. The most lucrative trips were airport runs from downtown or hotels along I-10. The worst trips were the short LSU trips where I would drive for ten minutes to the location only to earn $4.

When I look at the daytime driver app now I can see drivers parked at home (I assume) all over the place. It used to not be that way. Every now and then LSU/Downtown will get low on drivers but it is not sustained.

Late weekend nights are still great. But, there is a lot to put up with.

Last edited:

Modskool

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot more drivers in the morning than there used to be (none in July when I started). I'm just really sensitive to the traffic; if a ride is going to take me too long to get there, with a risk of cancellation, I'll just accept and cancel.

College @ I-10 is a good spot, I see Uberers in that Walmart parking lot often. I'm out by the country club at Jefferson & Essen.

Optimus Uber

it will cycle. In a couple of weeks will thin out again. It comes in spurts. When they can't make any money, they leave in hords, as fast as they showed up.

I do ok, because I live in a hotter city. I get in 3 rides before they get here in the morning. One of my rides is worth 3 of the UberX rides, so its like getting 9 rides before the rifraff show up. But I get a second surge about 2 hours later when there aren't enough X drivers, so end up making in 4 hours in the morning what I use to make all day doing X. Forgot to mention in on the PLUS network. Most X are too far away and people opt for me coz I'm within 3 minutes of them and the,X cars are about 15 minutes out. Most of my rides are because of convenience, not because of price.
also demand will start to increase as word of mouth spreads about the service. First find a good fishing hole. Second dont tell anyone about it.

Markbrla

Modskool, the country club on weekend nights is great... lots of weddings!

And you are right, the traffic in B.R. is a problem when trying to fetch riders more than 5 minutes away.