RideshareSpectrum

Posted this in a thread but it applies to most of the complaints Drivers voice from day to day in the forums. Someone suggested it needed a thread of its own:

REMINDER:

The entire business model of transportation disruption is built upon exploitation... exploitation of unenforced/able regulatory statutes, exploitation of the consumer by intentionally addicting them to artificially cheap rides that are a fraction of actual cost, and of course exploitation of an opt in labor force used to collect and share all the data, build the network, strengthen the brand while paving the pathway toward its own obsolescence.

That latter piece of this exploitation model is wholly numbers driven, and based upon population density and affluence of each market. If the Bay Area has a population of ‘x’ then Uber knows how many drivers are required to achieve faster pick up times than Lyft, and just how little they can get away with paying for that labor (base rate) to keep them logging on. Over saturation is positive thing for them and the driver count eventually works itself toward equilibrium on its own by churn and attrition.

When the driver supply dips below requirements they simply turn on the ad spigot and repopulate the market with new ants because it’s cheaper than retention.

That’s where we are today in the current go around of the cycle. UberLyft give not a single F about our nationality, legal status, immigration details, well being, success, or failure. Drivers are the disposable, replaceable piece at the center of this exploitation model.

I post this as a reminder that all the info is out there both for and against but at EOD the choice of driving for UBerLyft is 100% your own responsibility and your ability to earn is wholly dependent upon one single element... YOURSELF. No one else will be held accountable..

1995flyingspur

Posted this in a thread but it applies to most of the complaints Drivers voice from day to day in the forums. Someone suggested it needed a thread of its own:

REMINDER:

The entire business model of transportation disruption is built upon exploitation... exploitation of unenforced/able regulatory statutes, exploitation of the consumer by intentionally addicting them to artificially cheap rides that are a fraction of actual cost, and of course exploitation of an opt in labor force used to collect and share all the data, build the network, strengthen the brand while paving the pathway toward its own obsolescence.

That latter piece of this exploitation model is wholly numbers driven, and based upon population density and affluence of each market. If the Bay Area has a population of ‘x’ then Uber knows how many drivers are required to achieve faster pick up times than Lyft, and just how little they can get away with paying for that labor (base rate) to keep them logging on. Over saturation is positive thing for them and the driver count eventually works itself toward equilibrium on its own by churn and attrition.

When the driver supply dips below requirements they simply turn on the ad spigot and repopulate the market with new ants because it’s cheaper than retention.

That’s where we are today in the current go around of the cycle. UberLyft give not a single F about our nationality, legal status, immigration details, well being, success, or failure. Drivers are the disposable, replaceable piece at the center of this exploitation model.

I post this as a reminder that all the info is out there both for and against but at EOD the choice of driving for UBerLyft is 100% your own responsibility and your ability to earn is wholly dependent upon one single element... YOURSELF. No one else will be held accountable..
The question is, where would all of these drivers be if Uber didn't exist?

In this market they would probably be on a sofa, an unemployment line, in jail, or driving a gypsynotillegal cab somewhere in Modesto/Fresno/Manteca/Stockton/Sacramento.
I’m strictly Sfo

Yep. I'll probably drive next week. My quest reset. Wanted to knock out the low tier for this weekend but... #toomucheffort

I'm doing my part to make sure you guys have rides.
You know I’m gonna get mine. Good for you to help the newbies

Wahood

Lol calling people ants.. like your parents or grand patents weren’t ants? They came to this country for a better life just like many of those who leave their kids and homes behind to bring home the bacon
im pretty sure there were people who called your parents or grand parents names and they didnt appreciate it..

RideshareSpectrum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And they say non human ants are coming that will be driving for free...
It’s already begun... check out 3rd St in the Dogpatch and in SOMA during pm rush and you’ll be sure to see em. Driver present this month, gone in two or three.
Then as the machine learning cars’ AI improves and demand for rides driven by Humans slowly wanes the routes expand... they add more and more routes....And the lobbying for regulatory change increases as the transition to a transportation as a service economy gains traction.

Lol calling people ants.. like your parents or grand patents weren’t ants? They came to this country for a better life just like many of those who leave their kids and homes behind to bring home the bacon
im pretty sure there were people who called your parents or grand parents names and they didnt appreciate it..
I’m certain that my great granparents were called much worse things than ants and faced far more discrimination, racism, threat of violence and exonomic challenge upon arriving at Ellis Island than anyone coming to the states has for the last 50 years.

edit: ANTS is a term referring to all ride share drivers, it’s not a derogatory term nor does it refer to anyone’s race, creed, nationality, sexual preference, gender identity, or color.

Work on being a little less sensitive, you aren’t a victim. Don’t make yourself out to be one. Not a good look.

Last edited:

Wahood

No not really.. the drivers you call ants are the ones who come from outside the bay counties .. at least that is how I perceived this term to be used around here.
And no im neither a victim nor sensetive..
im just an immigrant and been called names that made me feel like shit at night and I dont want others to normalize this habit..
Using the term ant is kinda derogatory..
many here feel like they’re entitled to this gig because of their residency.. bs
No one is entitled to anything

RideshareSpectrum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No not really.. the drivers you call ants are the ones who come from outside the bay counties .. at least that is how I perceived this term to be used around here.
And no im neither a victim nor sensetive..
im just an immigrant and been called names that made me feel like shit at night and I dont want others to normalize this habit..
Using the term ant is kinda derogatory..
many here feel like they’re entitled to this gig because of their residency.. bs
No one is entitled to anything
Yes. Really. An ant is a noob driver.
Sorry you were called names that hurt your feelings, and that you are now projecting the meaning you’ve attached to that experience on to your perception of the words of others. That btw, is a component of what’s referred to as victim mentality.
Must have been very traumatic for you.
People do say hurtful, messed up things sometimes. My best advice is to get a helmet and not let it bother you.
That’s your choice alone to make, and it’s your decision whether or not you let anything anyone else does or says effect you btw.

An ant.... errrr... a duck’s back catches no water, or entitlements for that matter. You choose to drive here. Suck it up.