1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Too Funny... Uber you really did it.

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by Not Me, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Not Me

Not Me

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    New email from Uber..

WHEELCHAIRS AND OTHER DEVICES
    The ADA also requires you to transport riders using walkers, canes, folding wheelchairs or other assistive devices to the maximum extent possible. Most of these devices can be folded or disassembled and put in the trunk of your car.

Yeah, right. You want me to fold it and put it in my trunk? You fold it and you put it in my trunk. Uber does not provide me with Worker's Comp.
    I'll drive you, there ain't nothing about me taking care of your **** in the back of my trunk.

LOL, You Funny, Uber!

NoxiteLA, soonsoon, Gretzky and 4 others like this.
  2. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    This is ubers pickle.. It is the way many localities can push uber out of town without out right banning them. In my market taxi companies are required to have so many handicap vans per X number of regular cabs in service. I am not sure the ratio but I know there is one. By requiring Uber to have 1 handicap van on duty per say 50 cars uber would be done as they can't promise round the clock coverage.

groovyguru likes this.
  3. davehaz

davehaz

Uber sent me an email saying I could get free training on transporting handicap and special needs people, I said I wasnt intetested

ocbob2 and soonsoon like this.
  4. Bdott

Bdott

I never responded. .i dont think i want to carry a wheel chair in my trunk

5. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    Thing is. While the ADA applies to Uber.. It also applies to us. So by refusing you can get hit with a ADA complaint. "reasonable accommodations" has TONS of uber like wiggle room in it's rules.

6. Not Me

Not Me

Driving:
    UberPLUS
    So true. So don't refuse anyone a ride. But that does not mean you have to haul their **** in the back of the trunk.

The ADA rules say nothing about you getting out of your car, folding **** up and putting it away in your car. That is why, I'll drive them, no problem at all. But don't expect me to fold your **** up.

I'm now starting to just flip the truck open, while seated in my car, so that the rider can put their luggage in the trunk. 9 out of 10 LAX rides are no tips.
    I've also started using the excuse (forgot the name of the driver here on this forum that wrote about it) "Uber does not provide drivers with Worker's Comp. If I pull a muscle I won't be able to drive and make any money."
    And if they come back, trying to be smart like "but I'll give you a tip". I say "let me see it". That's when they either put up, or shut up!

soonsoon and Gemgirlla like this.
  7. merkurfan

merkurfan

Driving:
    UberX
    a recent thread about getting out of the car to load a pax's crap seems to indicate you and I are among the few who won't get out of the car for able bodied people. I also just hit the trunk button. I'm not getting out of the car for a 20 something that has 4 bags of laundry, I stopped hauling my laundry to moms house in my 20s and I am not about to get started now.

However, if the person can get themselves in to the car, or they have someone with them to help them then I will get out of the car and help load a wheelchair or other type of medical device to carry them (pee bags and stuff like that not included) in the trunk.

it might be because I have a family member that depending on the day and the days activities has to use a wheelchair.

The work comp angle is a fair one, but get short term disability insurance and you basically have work comp.

8. Loving this part...
    "SERVICE ANIMALS"
    "The Americans With Disabilities Act, or ADA, requires you to accept service animals on rides. It also says you cannot ask a rider what their disability is or to show proof of disability or service animal certification.
    These animals come in all shapes & sizes and are not always dogs. Not sure if a rider’s animal is a service animal? Just ask! If they say yes, the ADA says you must accommodate them."

"Hey, is that pit bull a service animal?" "Yes, of course!"
    or
    "Hey, is that Doberman a service animal?" "Yes, of course, and it eats leather, and it's hungry, and it likes your interior!"
    or
    "Hey, are those three Great Danes service animals?" "Yes, what else would they be?" "Sorry, my bad, hope they like the ride!"
    or
    "Hey, is that alligator a service animal?" "Sure man!"

chi1cabby, uber pro, NoxiteLA and 5 others like this.
  9. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

I picked up an older man with his grandson.The old guy had a foldable walker, he stopped at my trunk and was going to fold it up then probably (I guess) use the car to support himself until he got to the door. I told him, walk up to the front seat using your walker, I'll put it in the back after. He didn't assume anything - good guy. Next, I think I picked up a blind rider at the USC game the other night - I say I think cuz he handled himself so well I could not really tell. He got in the front seat, it was already getting dark, but he had shades on, and never took them off even when it got full on dark. When we got close to his drop he had me let him out at the corner, I almost didn't want to cuz it was already dark...like that mattered to him! lol

Lastly, I pulled up to these two 19 year old guys a few months ago. They have one mountain bike with them...I'm thinking I'm taking one and the other is riding off. Nope. He opens my hatch and is going to stuff it in the back. I'm like....whoa there partner. You want to put that in my nice clean Equinox? He's like, Of course. I have a mountain bike, and I put it in the back sometimes, so I know I can do it. Proceed to explain to him I am going to lower the split folding seat and spread out a blanket and I will put it in the back, but don't assume every Uber will be able to do this for you. Why not? He asks.....LOL!

10. I barely take pax!

Trapper9, Scenicruiser and soonsoon like this.
  11. The UberNator

The UberNator

Driving:
    UberX
    I respect many handicapped individuals but uber are you ****ing kidding us.
    Plus some of those motorized wheelchairs can be a pain in the ass to disassemble/assemble. Is that TREX a service animal? Sure....
    OK sir bring him in just make sure he doesn't eat me.
    Thank you five stars pfffffff

Attached Files:

soonsoon and groovyguru like this.
  12. soonsoon

soonsoon

Driving:
    UberX
    let me guess, by doing this you're providing "exceptional customer service"

"we just love you for going beyond and above driving for a dollar and no tip. Five stars and the Uber community appreciates you!"

"Oh by the way everyone..WE just hit out 51 billion! yeah! good job! we really appreciate you and love you!!"

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Driverish likes this.
  13. soonsoon

soonsoon

Driving:
    UberX
    shut up:eek:

14. soonsoon

soonsoon

Driving:
    UberX
    what do you think tips are for? oh..you forgot already? brainwashed like the rest of us.

15. UberLaLa

UberLaLa

So, I just viewed the video that Uber has embedded in their new ADA email to Drivers. A bit shocked they expect us to load small scooters into our back. Or disassemble non-folding wheelchairs. I'm all for helping society be a better place. But this is a bit too far. imho Just sayin.'

16. soonsoon

soonsoon

Driving:
    UberX
    what if you're allergic to dogs and what about the customers who are allergic.

17. ocbob2

ocbob2

Driving:
    UberX
    I am not taking a bike. If I can in a Nissan Sentra, I will tell him I rent my trunk for minimum of $2 and maximum is $5 depending on miles. Laundry bags? $1 a bag. I transport humans and anything going in my trunk will cost them.

18. ocbob2

ocbob2

Driving:
    UberX
    Tough ****. If I feel someone is playing the system but I continue to take them, I am giving out 2 stars so other drivers know not to pick up a low rated rider.

19. Foldable wheelchairs and walkers are no problem. Bikes that can have the front wheel removed are ok with trunk and one backseat down. I do the above with a Prius.

In the taxi industry, if something is forgotten in trunk, its responsibility of driver and returned promptly to pax with no compensation for driver.

You cannot charge for trunk usage nor refuse service animals.

20. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Dear ubers,
    I encourage you to empower yourselves by driving off from that wheelchair. You are big boys and girls, you don't have to be bullied by the ADA. Follow your entrepreneurial heart.

Then as the ADA shuts you down one partner at a time, I'll get cab business back.
    Thanks, Ubers.

XUberMike and UberLaLa like this.