TONS of requests deep in surge area with no surge

K-pax

Anyone else get this tonight? My cancel rate went through the roof tonight because of this. I kept getting requests AT THE STADIUM on Uber, with it surging literally in a few miles in every direction, and I would get requests without surge on the request. Usually, not a big deal. I've seen that bug before, and it will have the proper surge on the waybill screen when I check it, so I've grown accustomed to accepting these, even though it doesn't say it on the ping, because it'll actually have surge. Well... I kept getting repeated (like a dozen within a 2 min period) requests like that... look at the waybill... base rate. Anyone else experience this bug? I'll be livid if Uber tries to deactivate me for cancels, because my cancel rate is usually around 3% max.

The Ghost of Travis

I had the same problem at the stadium last night. Total app melt-down as when I turned it off it wouldnt let me log in for a bit and when did it showed no surge at all but the pings started to show the surge.

Skinny1

Yep I did bite a nice 2.5x regular....but nothing was coming in that was showing on screen.... 40% acceptance on Uber for me this week...new low on that platform since I was trying to poach regular surged fares if high enough.

Something was broken or BS and their hand was showing on what was being charged and what they were trying to pass on to driver ....hmmm,

heynow321

I've been noticing that on BOTH platforms recently. Right in the middle of a giant surge (so big that there's no way the heat map has shrunk to the point where surge has disappeared) and requests come through with nothing. I assume this is just a new tactic to take advantage of stupid new drivers who accept every ping they're thrown.

POOLKiller

This is a scam is all markets. They block off the events from surges. That’s the reason why you see surges around the event, but not at the event.

mark_mark

had a PT 350% key, pax moved to Pacific drive thur, cool! good location. get there, app canceled my ride?!?!? pax said, no she dud not cancel. was on the phone with her the whole time. App Meltdown last night

K-pax

Granted I only have 1 day in this week and didn’t drive for a couple weeks, but this bug made my cancel rate go above 20%. Please tell me these people aren’t going to try to deactivate me. Cancel rate is usually around 3%.

Skinny1

had a PT 350% key, pax moved to Pacific drive thur, cool! good location. get there, app canceled my ride?!?!? pax said, no she dud not cancel. was on the phone with her the whole time. App Meltdown last night

Nope Lyft is annoying and will cancel to move the ride to a closer driver.
Had a 150% plus ride last night ... all it takes is a turn or traffic to slow u down and they give it to someone else..

This has happened a few times. I get sometimes pax cancel but these seem to happen right as one of the scenarios above happens. But then again I've gotten rides because they have done this to other drivers so....

mark_mark

Granted I only have 1 day in this week and didn’t drive for a couple weeks, but this bug made my cancel rate go above 20%. Please tell me these people aren’t going to try to deactivate me. Cancel rate is usually around 3%.
Pax, go talk to them in person tommrow

Nope Lyft is annoying and will cancel to move the ride to a closer driver.
Had a 150% plus ride last night ... all it takes is a turn or traffic to slow u down and they give it to someone else..

This has happened a few times. I get sometimes pax cancel but these seem to happen right as one of the scenarios above happens. But then again I've gotten rides because they have done this to other drivers so....
well that’s settled it, high surge time you might get 1 chance. unless I’m 1 minutes away, Uber only

Smashup

I'd like to see "ride switching" appear in a court case. Talk about another way we are not indepedent, even when we have a ride, we don't have a ride. Even when we place ourselves and wait for rides we do want to take (surge rides), those rides we do want to take can be swapped for rides we don't want to take.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
You won't be deactivated youll just get a message from them like I did, that says "we understand that you aren't able to accept every Request, please go offline until you are able to accept requests in the future. We try to provide a platform for riders to enjoy a................."

:rolleyes:

Don't go down in person and discuss this. You've provided enough details on this board, and your a well known member. You'll risk outing yourself. Let it go.

dimwit_driver

I have been having problems with the Uber app being slow, non-responsive to touch, and/or crapping out since upgrading to ios 11, but no problem with Lyft. The Uber app has a history of crapping out for me when it's super busy.

It's frustrating when rides come in at no place near the surge rate onscreen. IMO the surge rate should have been higher with all the events. My cancellation rate went up not because of app issues, but because of the ridiculous number of no shows and late pax cancellations. I lost out on high surging rides because pax just didn't show, didn't answer their phones, and didn't respond to texts. It was ridiculous. One in particular really cost me $$$, too. Very frustrating. Also had the ride switcheroo - we have found a closer rider (also at a lower surge rate) that I cancelled. I did get a 250% PT and a 150% PT, but they didn't go the distance, so to speak.

I have had my cancellation rate go well into the 20s a couple of times, so I wouldn't worry if your rate went into the teens after last night.

DexNex

You will be fine. I have done much worse. Don't worry about it at all.

heynow321

I'd like to see "ride switching" appear in a court case. Talk about another way we are not indepedent, even when we have a ride, we don't have a ride. Even when we place ourselves and wait for rides we do want to take (surge rides), those rides we do want to take can be swapped for rides we don't want to take.
yup. had a 450% PT ride "cancel" on me last night when i was en route. I usually give the benefit of the doubt to the passengers as all it takes to discover surge has gone down is another person with the app.....but now i'm more likely to believe lyft is just @@@@ing me over.

K-pax

I have been having problems with the Uber app being slow, non-responsive to touch, and/or crapping out since upgrading to ios 11, but no problem with Lyft. The Uber app has a history of crapping out for me when it's super busy.

It's frustrating when rides come in at no place near the surge rate onscreen. IMO the surge rate should have been higher with all the events. My cancellation rate went up not because of app issues, but because of the ridiculous number of no shows and late pax cancellations. I lost out on high surging rides because pax just didn't show, didn't answer their phones, and didn't respond to texts. It was ridiculous. One in particular really cost me $$$, too. Very frustrating. Also had the ride switcheroo - we have found a closer rider (also at a lower surge rate) that I cancelled. I did get a 250% PT and a 150% PT, but they didn't go the distance, so to speak.

I have had my cancellation rate go well into the 20s a couple of times, so I wouldn't worry if your rate went into the teens after last night.

Glad it wasn’t just me. I did get one decent ride from the eagles show but first one was like 1 mile and it took forever to get to them (got stuck on first. Ugh). I called one pax to ask their location and they started shouting at me. “Who the hell are you?!?! Are you stalking me?!?! Never call me again!! *click*, so
i canceled and... doh! Almost 3x ride to Edmonds. I should have done Lyft and worked Marymoor park and Key Arena, but oh well. Had to make the car payment at least so was heavier uber than usual for a sat night.

All in all not a bad night, and got a ride literally going 3 miles from my house at the end of the night (before turning on the DF. Wowza!)

Skinny1

Don't feel bad my 400% from key was a 1 mile ride to their car on Queen Anne $17.
Made it back for a 350% line ride that was $50.

I honestly didn't know there was a Gorrilaz concert until an XL ride put me right next to Met Market as the concert let out so all in all I can't complain.

Key was they were both within 2 mins away from me ... screw fighting to get to the pax... find a spot and have them be close or able to meet you in the middle ...

K-pax

Don't feel bad my 400% from key was a 1 mile ride to their car on Queen Anne $17.
Made it back for a 350% line ride that was $50.

I honestly didn't know there was a Gorrilaz concert until an XL ride put me right next to Met Market as the concert let out so all in all I can't complain.

Key was they were both within 2 mins away from me ... screw fighting to get to the pax... find a spot and have them be close or able to meet you in the middle ...

I flubbed up on my usual ‘never accept requests on first’ policy. Got stuck on 1st for 45 min. I’ll call it a case of beingg rusty. I did get a $50 after from someone who walked before ordering, so that was good. Did you see that 575% at Marymoor park after the oktoberfest event? I flubbed that one too. Had pax take me to Bellevue right before that got out and was deadheading (without a df filter, Uber ... ahem) back to Seattle 3/4 the way accross the lake and redmond turns bright red and pink. I called my friend and he reminded me of the event. Seattle was base rate $3 fares till conert rush. Doh!!!!!!!

heynow321

I flubbed up on my usual ‘never accept requests on first’ policy. Got stuck on 1st for 45 min. I’ll call it a case of bring rusty. Did you see that 575% at Marymoor park adter the oktoberfest event? I flubb d that one too. Had pax take me to Bellevue and was deadheading (without a df filter, Uber ... ahem) back to Seattle 3/4 the way accross the lake and redmond turns bright red and pink. Doh!!!!!!!

i had an uncomfortable moment last night after cancelling on a woman named jacquelin at a 1.4 surge. I had no idea there was a show that night but luckily had my surge app on so i watched it build. about 2 hours later i ended up at my normal watering hole (palmers) and ended up in a conversation with an attractive woman named jacquelin from out of town who flew up here for the show. had to be the same woman right?

K-pax

i had an uncomfortable moment last night after cancelling on a woman named jacquelin at a 1.4 surge. I had no idea there was a show that night but luckily had my surge app on so i watched it build. about 2 hours later i ended up at my normal watering hole (palmers) and ended up in a conversation with an attractive woman named jacquelin from out of town who flew up here for the show. had to be the same woman right?

Hahaha that would be pretty funny.