• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Toll violation

Sacman08

A couple weeks ago I got two different rides on two different days. Both times the Uber app directions (Not Waze or GM) directed me down the new I-75 expressway south.
(Not sure if anyone has driven on it but it’s like Hotel California, once your on you can’t leave.)
The first trip I didnt recognize the entry and didn’t realize it was the expressway until I was on with 2 cars behind I couldn’t back off so i rode it out. I checked with Uber later and they said the toll was taken care of. I had another ride a couple days later same way, this time I just took Uber directions in and off assuming it was taken care of by the app fare to the rider.
Fast forward a couple weeks and I just got a mailed toll violation from Georgia and Uber rep is now saying they have no record of my toll. Any advice?

Zap

A couple weeks ago I got two different rides on two different days. Both times the Uber app directions (Not Waze or GM) directed me down the new I-75 expressway south.
(Not sure if anyone has driven on it but it’s like Hotel California, once your on you can’t leave.)
The first trip I didnt recognize the entry and didn’t realize it was the expressway until I was on with 2 cars behind I couldn’t back off so i rode it out. I checked with Uber later and they said the toll was taken care of. I had another ride a couple days later same way, this time I just took Uber directions in and off assuming it was taken care of by the app fare to the rider.
Fast forward a couple weeks and I just got a mailed toll violation from Georgia and Uber rep is now saying they have no record of my toll. Any advice?
The uber TOS requires drivers to have an electronic pass - this is your responsibility. You're compensated for tolls charged to your electronic toll account for trips that incur tolls. See the uber trip detail. So, if you go through a toll booth & you don't have an electronic pass or you don't pay cash, yeah, toll violation.

Sacman08

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well no booth it's all electronic, and for the first trip, I didn't recognize the entrance since it's so new. I messaged Uber about it that day and they said it was all taken care of in the fare. No one said I had to have a pass for the toll, even the website help says it's included in the fare.

https://help.uber.com/partners/article/who-pays-tolls?nodeId=2cf2ce2c-916a-4485-b4eb-0b88588e4fec

Who pays tolls?
Your vehicle may be charged tolls and other road surcharges on bridge and tunnel crossings, highways, and around airports.

When your vehicle is charged a toll or surcharge during a trip, the amount is automatically added to your fare. Toll surcharges are charged to riders and reimbursed to you, as detailed to you in your payment statement.

Tolls and other road surcharges are only paid when a rider is in the car. It will not apply to toll charges incurred when you're en route to a rider or after you've dropped them off.

If you believe your trip fare did not include a toll amount that you were charged, please use the form below. We'll review and make any necessary adjustments.

Was this helpful?

Sacman08

Scroll through trips...match trip with time stamp on toll bill...send to uber
Yep, I did that in the app, the chat sender said they didn't think I used a toll expressway, thanks, have a nice day. I am still currently on the phone with Uber support rep and they are saying because it's ten days out they can't do anything about it.

Juggalo9er

Yep, I did that in the app, the chat sender said they didn't think I used a toll expressway, thanks, have a nice day. I am still currently on the phone with Uber support rep and they are saying because it's ten days out they can't do anything about it.
Lie

What i did was send a print out of the trip with the toll stamp to their corporate office....mail it net 10, due in 30 days.... they will pay you... after a little headache

The uber TOS requires drivers to have an electronic pass - this is your responsibility. You're compensated for tolls charged to your electronic toll account for trips that incur tolls. See the uber trip detail. So, if you go through a toll booth & you don't have an electronic pass or you don't pay cash, yeah, toll violation.
being forced to get a government transponder sounds like employee employer relationship to me

anyhoo get a ticket lose nails where gestapo likes to hids & take concrete doo doos at the court house public restroom

cant fight city hall so dont get mad get even

Zap

First, don't waste your time talking to Rohit. Open an incident report email & include your evidence for review. But, if it's truly water past the bridge as you indicate, all you can do is take it on the chin & be more observant when you take toll roads in the future.

being forced to get a government transponder sounds like employee employer relationship to me

anyhoo get a ticket lose nails where gestapo likes to hids & take concrete doo doos at the court house public restroom

cant fight city hall so dont get mad get even
Employer/employee matters are outside the scope of your issue. If you have an electronic transponder, it's a matter between you & the toll authority regarding not paying the required toll. If uber didn't compensate you for pre-paying a ride toll, it's a matter between you & uber.

Well no booth it's all electronic, and for the first trip, I didn't recognize the entrance since it's so new. I messaged Uber about it that day and they said it was all taken care of in the fare. No one said I had to have a pass for the toll, even the website help says it's included in the fare.

https://help.uber.com/partners/article/who-pays-tolls?nodeId=2cf2ce2c-916a-4485-b4eb-0b88588e4fec

Who pays tolls?
Your vehicle may be charged tolls and other road surcharges on bridge and tunnel crossings, highways, and around airports.

When your vehicle is charged a toll or surcharge during a trip, the amount is automatically added to your fare. Toll surcharges are charged to riders and reimbursed to you, as detailed to you in your payment statement.

Tolls and other road surcharges are only paid when a rider is in the car. It will not apply to toll charges incurred when you're en route to a rider or after you've dropped them off.

If you believe your trip fare did not include a toll amount that you were charged, please use the form below. We'll review and make any necessary adjustments.

Was this helpful?
You misread it. :frown:

upload_2018-11-1_18-10-4.png

Sacman08

Ya IF you have a pass mount it, it doesn’t say I have to have one. My point is the app shouldn’t have directed me down a toll expressway. I should choose to go down a toll way IF I have a pass. Everything else on this section makes it sound like Uber takes care of the fare which I read and took for face value. Plus when I talked to Uber on the first day, no mention of needing a pass and they said the toll is automatic in the fare, so I followed that information and let it go.

Thanks all, sounds like I am going to eat this charge.
Uber needs to change two things:
1) Not send drivers down toll roads by default.
2) Make the website more clear about tolls then a vague comment about mounting a pass if you have it.

Zap

Ya IF you have a pass mount it, it doesn’t say I have to have one. My point is the app shouldn’t have directed me down a toll expressway. I should choose to go down a toll way IF I have a pass. Everything else on this section makes it sound like Uber takes care of the fare which I read and took for face value. Plus when I talked to Uber on the first day, no mention of needing a pass and they said the toll is automatic in the fare, so I followed that information and let it go.

Thanks all, sounds like I am going to eat this charge.
Uber needs to change two things:
1) Not send drivers down toll roads by default.
2) Make the website more clear about tolls then a vague comment about mounting a pass if you have it.
You can configure the driver app to use Waze or Google Maps under 'navigation'. If you use Waze, you can configure Waze to avoid toll roads - not sure about Google Maps.

Sacman08

I'm scratching my head wondering what the OP wants here.
I was hoping someone could say do such and such to get Uber to resolve the problem but instead I got a bunch of “it’s my fault” responses so I am going to back out before things get ugly.

Coachman

I was hoping someone could say do such and such to get Uber to resolve the problem but instead I got a bunch of “it’s my fault” responses so I am going to back out before things get ugly.
It doesn't sound like you have many toll roads in Atlanta. We have quite a few here in Dallas and you learn pretty quickly how to navigate Uber's system. Uber doesn't always reimburse you. So you have to be vigilant. But in every case you are responsible for paying the toll, either by electronic tag, at the toll booth, or by mail. Uber does not pay tolls. They only reimburse you for the tolls you pay.

Reactions: Zap