TOLL roads or Hov?

HOV OR TOLL

• Longer the better. Pretend that you dont know HOV. Toll all the way!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • HOV. Toll is Waste of pax money

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Hell yeah !

For BUSH rides from Downtown

Would you rather go through HOV during rush hour, which i think is faster or Hardy toll road, which is couple miles longer ?

PrayForFrance

Last edited:

Trebor

Weekdays take 59 HOV. Uber will reimburse you for tolls, since it is a hot lane, but you can go on the HOV side (2+ rides free) and give yourself a $2 bonus. Riders know HOV's are free. Just double check your pay statement since the toll is on a sliding basis.

Trebor

Weekends, there is no reason to take hardy and not 59, unless construction is going on.

Weekdays take 59 HOV. Uber will reimburse you for tolls, since it is a hot lane, but you can go on the HOV side (2+ rides free) and give yourself a $2 bonus. Riders know HOV's are free. Just double check your pay statement since the toll is on a sliding basis.
Good to know

Hell yeah !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went thru 59 hov this morning. They dont reimburse for tolls. Maybe on i10 Katy freeway hov?

Cowboyup

I had a request from Space Center and I drove up to front. A lady walked out from building looking around to find me. When she did 5 chicklets came running to car. "DAMN...." I thought to myself. And all of them with drinks. They kicked and screamed the entire trip. The destination is right off toll road (South Post Oak). So I went by what Uber navigation recommended. And I wanted them out of my car FAST!!!! She kept asking me about tolls and how they are charged. She was foreign...Carribean or Africa so it was mostly broken English. I explained it to her. But I guess she concerned. She should speak up if there was an alternative (God gorbid).

Fuzzyelvis

I went thru 59 hov this morning. They dont reimburse for tolls. Maybe on i10 Katy freeway hov?
They charge the rider and reimburse you. But the system doesn't always work well. If you don't get a toll use help to tell them. I've actually been paid more tolls I didn't take than not reimbursed fir thise I did.

Trebor

The reimburse tolls (it is charged directly to the rider and passed on to you) but sometimes, usually on the ones that are on a sliding basis (depending on the amount of traffic, they charge more or less - if you see a digital sign stating the amount, it means they can change the price whenever they want and are usually the HOV/TOLL lanes.) Example: at 5pm, it maybe $4.50. At 7pm, it will be $2.20.

Anyways, these digital ones change so much, I don't think Uber can keep track of them in real time. So, these are usually the ones your pay will get messed up on, but it is wise to keep track of the toll amounts, even on the fixed price ones since they do often change.

Keep in mind, if you use the HOV side, (if you have a rider you can) then your ez tag account will not be charged. The rider will still be charged for the toll, thus the $2 bonus you may get. It would be kind of dirty if you complained to Uber about the toll reimbursement when you used the HOV lane but you can still ask. It does not hurt to ask. I have not seen one rider go back and complain about the toll charges on their account.

Trebor

I had a request from Space Center and I drove up to front. A lady walked out from building looking around to find me. When she did 5 chicklets came running to car. "DAMN...." I thought to myself. And all of them with drinks. They kicked and screamed the entire trip. The destination is right off toll road (South Post Oak). So I went by what Uber navigation recommended. And I wanted them out of my car FAST!!!! She kept asking me about tolls and how they are charged. She was foreign...Carribean or Africa so it was mostly broken English. I explained it to her. But I guess she concerned. She should speak up if there was an alternative (God gorbid).
Tell her "tolls are included in the fare."

This is like Uber's no tipping required phrase.

It makes it seem like they are included (and free). At the same time, you are not lying, because although it maybe add on, it is still technically included in her fare that she pays.

Weatherdawg

Also, most fixed rate tolls are either $1.50 or $1.20 on the toll tag. If you see a reimbursement of $1.45 on a toll plaza, Uber is shorting you $0.05. Ever since the rate cut, I filed for my $0.05 every time I saw one shorted. I think they recently fixed this, but it's something to note.

Trebor

Speaking of toll roads, which one of you does not have a ez tag or similar? I have had riders complain about this. Ridiculous since these riders also come from the airport. I think every uber leased car should come with one.