1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Toll reimbursement

Discussion in 'Advice' started by mikes424, Sep 16, 2018 at 5:45 AM.

1. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

I believe I read somewhere that if you go through a toll booth to pick up a pax that Uber will reimburse you. Is that true?

I went through a toll booth yesterday to pick up a pax. No reimbursement. Uber told me reimbursement is only with the pax in the car.

It is only $0.45 so no big deal. More about the principle.

Thanks

2. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've gotten it, but that was several months ago and there was literally no way to get the pax without paying the toll (at a gas station on the highway).

Depends on the DSR you get, I guess. Either way, you'll be writing it off when you do your taxes for the year.

Avoid tolls on pickup wherever possible. You can set Waze to do this.

3. oldfart

oldfart Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Passengers are charged for the toll when they are in the car and it’s passed through to the driver. No passenger means no reimbursement

The toll bridges in my market are one way tolls there is no charge going from Cape Coral to Ft Myers but $2 from Ft Myers to Cape Coral so if I’m on the Ft Myers side and called to Cape Coral for a pick up it’s $2 out of my pocket

And don’t get me started on the Sanibel Island toll. $6 to get onto the island, no charge coming off

4. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, there is a town called Grand Island (which is an island) and it is a $1 toll to get on it from both sides and Ive never received a toll reimbursement from going to pick up a pax on it.

Needless to say, those people struggle to get an Uber to drive there for a pick up.

Rakos likes this.
  5. CJfrom619

CJfrom619 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes you have to have the rider in your car while using toll road so if your on your way to a pickup and have to use toll then it’s out of your pocket. There’s one toll road in my city that I have to pass occasionally..It’s always $2.50 which Uber always gives me the full amount but for some reason Lyft only gives me $1.70.

Rakos likes this.
  6. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Do you pay with cash, or some kind of electronic tag? It could be the toll is cheaper using EZ Pass (or other kind of tag), and Lyft is paying you that amount.

7. CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    No your correct there paying me the discounted price you get when you buy a pass. What a joke. These big companies will nickel and dime us at every chance.

HotUberMess likes this.
  8. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've gotten it. You CAN get it. You have to prove it was the only reasonable way to get to the pax, though.

9. CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    Sounds like a waste of time..by the energy you spend trying to get $2.50 from Uber you could have given a $20 ride.

10. LoveBC

LoveBC Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Lyft should have no way of knowing if you get discounts or not. They fail miserably at updating their system when tolls go up. A strongly worded email each time tend to do the trick.

11. CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree but to me the energy and time spent to recover the 80 cents I lost isn’t worth the effort.

12. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Steal $1,000 from one person and, when that person complains, everyone will call you a thief. Steal $1 from each of one thousand people and, when they each complain, everyone will call them petty.

Meanwhile, you still have $1,000 that doesn't belong to you.

Christinebitg likes this.
  13. oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL

It’s not stealing. If Uber charged the customer and then didn’t pass the money through to you , then , yes stealing, but that’s not the case here

Just turn down the ride if you don’t want to pay the toll

14. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Those discounts can be significant. Here in Florida, a lot of our SunPass tolls are at a 30% discount. A SunPass sticker costs $5, or $20 for a portable transponder.

Forget rideshare; just think of your personal driving. If your CA electronic tolls are anything like that, why would you not use electronic?

reg barclay likes this.
  15. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm saying they do. I know this because I've gotten them to. Someone else said it wasn't worth pursuing. That was what I was responding to.

Drivers keep letting Uber steal $1 here, $2 there... given all the drivers there are, that's a lot of money. If it's not worth it to pursue, fine. You (not you, specifically, the drivers that I'm talking about here) call it a "donation" and let it go. Don't ***** about something when there IS recourse but you just don't want to do what can be done, and done EASILY. If it's not worth it, it's not worth it. It can't be both ways. That's all.

16. oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    I’ve tried to get Uber to pay the toll when I have to pay to pick up a passenger, and been refused. Good for you if you get it

But it’s not Uber stealing from me and it’s not a donation. It’s an investment decision I have to make. Am I more likely to make money or lose money? Will I do better turning this down and waiting for a better ride or is a bird in hand better than two in the Bush

SuzeCB and Christinebitg like this.
  17. CJfrom619

Driving:
    UberX
    The only reason that I don’t have the pass is because I only use the toll road maybe 20 times a year and Uber always pays me the full amount. Only on a Lyft ride is where I take an 80 cent hit. I would guess maybe 5 times a year that it’s on a a Lyft ride so we’re talking a few bucks a year. I would rather not waste time and energy exchanging emails back and fourth with support to recover 80 cents at a time. However if I used it more frequently then I would invest in a yearly toll pass for discount.

18. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    In the NYC area they are slowly doing away with the cash option altogether. A lot of tolls are either EZ Pass or pay by mail now.

19. Stevie The magic Unicorn

Stevie The magic Unicorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    There's a good may plazas with no cash option going in around Orlando, usually the smaller exits (in the middle of nowhere or near the podunk end of the roads.

reg barclay likes this.
  20. mikes424

mikes424 Well-Known Member

Heard back. They reimbursed me.
    Also FYI, I found a memo issued by Uber Singapore stating thet will pay for the tolls when incurred in route to pick up a pax. Because it is from Singapore7